DC Food Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I always wondered how you folks counted calories when it wasn't written on the bag (so to speak).
What if I double egg dip and bread something I am deep frying? Does that change the calories from a lighter breading? What if I use panko crumbs one time and Italian crumbs the next, does that change the calories? It all seems so complicated.
That's my excuse anyway. Still, it would be curious to know sometime.

I estimate as best I can. For example, how much breading did you use to bread 6 chicken breasts? Divide that amount by 6. Used two eggs? Divide that by the number of servings. I figure as long as I make an effort to get close it's better than nothing. If you underestimate one time, you might overestimate the next. Just keeping track at all makes me think twice about having (another :p) cookie

I use the livestrong app, which makes it really easy to add partial servings.

Last edited:
I don't understand calorie counting. Like the member here who posts he had three grams of this and 9 oz of that. I imagine it's because he's portioning or calorie counting, but I know when I eat more or less during a day, or drink three sodas compared to one. It seems if you are trying to lose weight you just eat less and exercise more. In my simplistic life anyway ;)

I estimate as best I can. For example, how much breading did you use to bread 6 chicken breasts? Divide that amount by 6. Used two eggs? Divide that by the number of servings. I figure as long as I make an effort to get close it's better than nothing. If you underestimate one time, you might overestimate the next. Just keeping track at all makes me think twice about having (another :p) cookie

I use the livestrong app, which makes it really easy to add partial servings.

I had just read somewhere there were apps for this.

I don't understand calorie counting. Like the member here who posts he had three grams of this and 9 oz of that. I imagine it's because he's portioning or calorie counting, but I know when I eat more or less during a day, or drink three sodas compared to one. It seems if you are trying to lose weight you just eat less and exercise more. In my simplistic life anyway ;)

I am portioning and trying to make sure I get enough calories and also not OVER do the calories. I am weighing/measuring everything so I can KNOW what I am getting. Soon I will be able to just fix my meal without calorie counting because I have already determined I can have a cup of chili and 1 oz of cheese to get 400 calories. Also, I know from experience that 1 cup measured is 1 cup...where as guessing is usually 50 to 75% more than you thought it was.

I MUST lose 30 pounds...this is because I have 30 unwanted pounds. I'm doing what works for me to lose weight. If this fails, we will have to try something else, I really don't want another heart attack. I have included 30 minutes or more of exercise into my plan each day.

Last edited:
I can understand it for health reasons, especially being diabetic where I imagine you must keep tabs on your sugar intake,, too.

...It seems if you are trying to lose weight you just eat less and exercise more. In my simplistic life anyway ;)
Mostly you are right. But, if eating less leaves you hungry, then knowing which foods are lower in calories lets you choose to fill up on those.

Mostly you are right. But, if eating less leaves you hungry, then knowing which foods are lower in calories lets you choose to fill up on those.

Excellent point! I hadn't thought of that.
Thanks

Same here Pac...when we have eaten a bit much around Christmas and we wish to shed a few kilos, we just eat less, eat a bit healthier and do some exercise :)

If I am hungry in between meals, I just ignore it, make your body get used to eating less again :)

Last edited:
My afternoon snack was 2 clementines, 70 cal

Dinner was 10 ounces Beef Stroganoff, homemade with about 300 calories (I had spinach and carrots shredded in)

PM snack 2 more clementines, 70 calories

Today's total: 1140, I will have a half cup of hot chocolate made with dark chocolate equaling about 60 calories...using half milk and half water. approximately 1200 Kcal.

I have had 6-20 ounce bottles of water...I used the same bottle all day, just refilling with filtered water. Tomorrow is weigh in for our Biggest Loser contest at work.

My afternoon snack was 2 clementines, 70 cal

Dinner was 10 ounces Beef Stroganoff, homemade with about 300 calories (I had spinach and carrots shredded in)

PM snack 2 more clementines, 70 calories

Today's total: 1140, I will have a half cup of hot chocolate made with dark chocolate equaling about 60 calories...using half milk and half water. approximately 1200 Kcal.

I have had 6-20 ounce bottles of water...I used the same bottle all day, just refilling with filtered water. Tomorrow is weigh in for our Biggest Loser contest at work.

Good luck :)

I find that counting calories is the easiest way to lose weight quick. Counting calories is the least restrictive, you can eat anything as long as it falls within the day's calorie count. Of course this can turn into an unhealthy diet if you aren't eating the right foods. But as you can see PF is eating "normal" foods like chili and beef stroganoff and those fit into the plan.

That's how I managed to lose weight. Now I can just eyeball serving sizes without weighing. Yeah, sometimes I do weigh foods just to make sure that I'm still on track.

I find when counting calories that I eat healthier foods, because I want to get as much bang for the buck calorie-wise. Like PF's clementines, 4 in a day equals 140 calories, where you could have just a tiny bit of chocolate for the same calories, but with calorie counting, if you really wanted the chocolate instead, you could have it without worry.

So far I've got 815 calories for the day. I've been really busy. Daniel is going to school for the fisrt time tomorrow. Had to register him and ......

Breakfast
2 coffees no sugar just milk

Lunch
2 hard boiled eggs, an apple and a sugar free Redbull.

Dinner
Tuna Pasta Bake and mixed veggies
A cup of tea with one sugar and milk.

Still don't have enough calories for the day. Will think of something to snack on and post later.

Last edited:
I find that counting calories is the easiest way to lose weight quick. Counting calories is the least restrictive, you can eat anything as long as it falls within the day's calorie count. Of course this can turn into an unhealthy diet if you aren't eating the right foods. But as you can see PF is eating "normal" foods like chili and beef stroganoff and those fit into the plan.

That's how I managed to lose weight. Now I can just eyeball serving sizes without weighing. Yeah, sometimes I do weigh foods just to make sure that I'm still on track.

I find when counting calories that I eat healthier foods, because I want to get as much bang for the buck calorie-wise. Like PF's clementines, 4 in a day equals 140 calories, where you could have just a tiny bit of chocolate for the same calories, but with calorie counting, if you really wanted the chocolate instead, you could have it without worry.

I figured it out today. Was a bit too tired last night. It's easy to do the calorie counting but not so easy to eat enough when eating healthy.
I don't really need to lose weight but I would like a 3 kg loss to fit into my old clothes. I simply can't afford to replace my whole wardrobe :LOL:
I don't really eat breakfast so I lose calories there. Maybe I'll just add some more protein.

Breakfast: coffee, 4 oz cran-pom juice (no sugar added), 1-4 inch whole wheat pancake with 1 tsp butter and 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup, 1 egg, fried with a spritz of grapeseed oil. 300 Calories

Taking 2 clementines to work. 70 calories
Taking a serving of the stroganoff to work for lunch: 300 calories

I have rice crackers and hummus at work for my afternoon snack. will see how much of that I can have.

Oh Yum! I love hummus. Must make a point to get some.

I just had a slice of granary bread with watermelon preserve and cheese and butter.
Now I'm on 1102 calories for the day. Maybe I'll have cold cocoa before bed. Much better than yesterday, the milk should put me over 1200.

Oh Yum! I love hummus. Must make a point to get some.

I just had a slice of granary bread with watermelon preserve and cheese and butter.
Now I'm on 1102 calories for the day. Maybe I'll have cold cocoa before bed. Much better than yesterday, the milk should put me over 1200.
I'm surprised you don't make your own. It's easy if you have a food processor.

I had a salad, thinking I would follow with a hot meatloaf sandwich with gravy. Too bad bf ate the last of the meatloaf!! Oh well, guess I'll have a healthier turkey sandwich, and having a salad instead of chips or something is a healthy bonus.

Well...I didn't eat the stroganoff, because they were feeding us lunch at a nurses meeting.

They had salad and apple slices...total 175 calories. My hummus had seen better days, so I got 10 Nutthins Hazelnut rice crackers for 60 calories and 1/2 cup pineapple for another 60 calories.

I should have had 500 calories while at work, I ended up with 265. Plus my 300 at breakfast.

So I stopped for chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy. I kind you not, I could only get down: 1 thigh, no skin 109 calories
1/2 cup mashed potato 119 calories
1/4 c gravy 25 calories
I'm having 2 tangerines for dessert...70 calories.

That means I get a 6 ounce hot chocolate later...150 cal.

Back
Top Bottom