DC Food Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's really hot today. They say the heat wave is going to last till next week :(

It's not easy eating anything in this weather!

What I had to day...

Breakfast: Coffee

Lunch: A few sticks of biltong

Snack: A few of my children's yogurt covered cashew nuts

Dinner: Small portion of pap with chakalaka (homemade and it's got lots of veg in!) and 1 boerewors sausage.

To drink I had water and a glass of ginger beer.
I'm on 895 calories for today. Can't eat more it's blistering hot. I've eaten all the ice in my freezer!

It's really hot today. They say the heat wave is going to last till next week :(

It's not easy eating anything in this weather!

What I had to day...

Breakfast: Coffee

Lunch: A few sticks of biltong

Snack: A few of my children's yogurt covered cashew nuts

Dinner: Small portion of pap with chakalaka (homemade and it's got lots of veg in!) and 1 boerewors sausage.

To drink I had water and a glass of ginger beer.
I'm on 895 calories for today. Can't eat more it's blistering hot. I've eaten all the ice in my freezer!

How about some frozen yogurt?! Yum! I like to munch on frozen peas too. It's like healthy candy. (Yes, I do mean while they are still frozen!)

How about some frozen yogurt?! Yum! I like to munch on frozen peas too. It's like healthy candy. (Yes, I do mean while they are still frozen!)

Good idea, I'll get some tomorrow :) It's 9:30 pm.Time for bed, it's school tomorrow and the kids are near impossible to wake up :LOL:

What I had today.

1 cup of coffee with milk no sugar
1 black coffee
Lots of water with lemon and ice!

Few leftover strips of beef

A pot of plain yogurt

Dinner: Potato bake with cheese, steamed patty pan squash and a german sausage with sauerkraut.

922 calories so far, might have some milk before bed or something to snack on to make up the rest of my calories for the day.

Last edited:
hmmm, so far...

Two slices of toast with butter (dang, where was my scale when I was making that?)
34 oz of coffee with milk
Two Smith's hot dogs on buns with ketchup.
I figure what? I can have a glass of water and piece of lettuce for the rest of the day? :LOL:

Snip, I'm not sure what your exercise level is but an intake of less than 1000 calories is a bit concerning. According to the dieticians I speak to, women should be around 1800 - 2200 for my particular age bracket (31-50). If you consume far fewer than 1800, your body goes into "survival" mode and you end up creating issues for yourself. You are better off to try and stick close to 1800 and increase your activity by even the smallest amount.

I think its wonderful that you are keeping tabs on yourself, brava lady! I am just a fusspot and worry you might be taking in too few to be healthy.

Snip, I'm not sure what your exercise level is but an intake of less than 1000 calories is a bit concerning. According to the dieticians I speak to, women should be around 1800 - 2200 for my particular age bracket (31-50). If you consume far fewer than 1800, your body goes into "survival" mode and you end up creating issues for yourself. You are better off to try and stick close to 1800 and increase your activity by even the smallest amount.

I think its wonderful that you are keeping tabs on yourself, brava lady! I am just a fusspot and worry you might be taking in too few to be healthy.
Maybe adding some fruit juice would be a good way to get extra calories.

Lunch was ten chicken wings with BBQ sauce on them and some blue cheese dressing to dip them in. Drink is a Pepsi Max.

I've noticed that and since starting the calorie counting I've increased my food intake. I'm getting closer to the amount I'm supposed to eat.
My biggest problem I think was that I used to drink loads of enery drinks and other forms of liquid calories. I get really busy with the kids and don't have much time to think about me. I walk on average 12-15 miles or 20-25 km per day. I clean constantly. My family don't do much or anything around the house.
This calorie counting thing is actually making me more aware of what I eat and drink and I'm slowly starting to correct my habbits again.
When I was working I always ate healthy and enough. I had more time then since I had a nanny and a cleaner.
Funny thing is, just in the past few days of eating more and drinking less energy drinks and flavoured milks etc. I've lost weight.
Most of my calories used to come from liquids since they are so easy to grab and go!

hmmm, so far...

Two slices of toast with butter (dang, where was my scale when I was making that?)
34 oz of coffee with milk
Two Smith's hot dogs on buns with ketchup.
I figure what? I can have a glass of water and piece of lettuce for the rest of the day? :LOL:

We can combine our calories to even things out :LOL:
You can have the 1400 calories I have left for the day ;)

Busy having some patty pan squash with a slice of cheddar. Calories up to 1071.
That's me for today. Just want to get this week over with. It was hectic! lol!

My menu for today...

Breakfast: V8 juice and a coffee with milk.

Vitamins taken: Calcium, multivitamin and omega 3,6 and 9

Snack: Cashew nuts

Lunch: Lychees

Dinner: 2 homemade fish cakes, broccoli, cauliflower and carrots steamed. Some beetroot salad on the side.
Total calories : 1584

Forgot to add my vitamin supplements, I take them every day.

Just weighed myself. I've lost 3 kilos this week! Not sure how it happened so fast. My BMI is 18.5 again. Perfect and my skinny jeans fit. Looks like the more healthy stuff I eat the more weight I lose. I've been increasing my food intake slowly and trying to make healthier choices as I go. I've only had one energy drink this week. Normally I would have had about 10 by now lol! Learning to behave myself again!

My afternoon snack was 2 clementines, 70 cal

Dinner was 10 ounces Beef Stroganoff, homemade with about 300 calories (I had spinach and carrots shredded in)

PM snack 2 more clementines, 70 calories

Today's total: 1140, I will have a half cup of hot chocolate made with dark chocolate equaling about 60 calories...using half milk and half water. approximately 1200 Kcal.

I have had 6-20 ounce bottles of water...I used the same bottle all day, just refilling with filtered water. Tomorrow is weigh in for our Biggest Loser contest at work.

Water is my biggest bugaboo. I simply don't like it. Yet when I fill up a bottle either straight from the tap or from the fridge, I keep it beside my cup of coffee and will reach for the water before the coffee cup. I do feel better when I drink water. And I can notice the change in my skin almost immediately. I simply HAVE TO MAKE myself drink water before coffee.

For my height, I should weigh 95 pounds. Instead my weight came in today at 136 lbs. I wouldn't object if I was able to get my weight down to where it should be. But then everytime I lose weight, I have to hear it from Winthrop. "Are you eating? Are you sure?" I feel caught between a rock and a hard place. :angel:

Water is my biggest bugaboo. I simply don't like it. Yet when I fill up a bottle either straight from the tap or from the fridge, I keep it beside my cup of coffee and will reach for the water before the coffee cup. I do feel better when I drink water. And I can notice the change in my skin almost immediately. I simply HAVE TO MAKE myself drink water before coffee.

For my height, I should weigh 95 pounds. Instead my weight came in today at 136 lbs. I wouldn't object if I was able to get my weight down to where it should be. But then everytime I lose weight, I have to hear it from Winthrop. "Are you eating? Are you sure?" I feel caught between a rock and a hard place. :angel:

You're supposed to weigh 95 lbs? You must be tiny. I was 103 lbs at my lowest. Very under weight. I went up to 134 lbs since moving back to SA and I'm now at 127 with my BMI at 18.5.
Same size I was from Grade 7 up until after I had my son. I lost weight after my heart attack.
I'm 5.9, I'm pretty tall.

Have you tried adding things to your water like slices of lemon, sprigs of mint, cucumber slices, lemon thyme etc ?
I do this often. Just fill a jug with cold water and whatever fruit and herbs you like and stash it in the fridge to drink whenever you're thirsty. Much easier to drink water this way.

Last edited:
You're supposed to weigh 95 lbs? You must be tiny. I was 103 lbs at my lowest. Very under weight. I went up to 134 lbs since moving back to SA and I'm now at 127 with my BMI at 18.5.
Same size I was from Grade 7 up until after I had my son. I lost weight after my heart attack.
I'm 5.9, I'm pretty tall.

Have you tried adding things to your water like slices of lemon, sprigs of mint, cucumber slices, lemon thyme etc ?
I do this often. Just fill a jug with cold water and whatever fruit and herbs you like and stash it in the fridge to drink whenever you're thirsty. Much easier to drink water this way.

I am 4'8" tall. A legal midget. I was told after my first child not to have anymore children. So I got pregnant five more times. Lost one. I never was a good listener. :angel:

I am 4'8" tall. A legal midget. I was told after my first child not to have anymore children. So I got pregnant five more times. Lost one. I never was a good listener. :angel:

You're shorter than my 10yr old. She's 5.08 and wears a US size 7 shoe. She's going to tower above me I'm sure! We're a family of giants :ROFLMAO:
South Africans are big people though. I'm the shortest in my family!

Last edited:
You're shorter than my 10yr old. She's 5.08 and wears a US size 7 shoe. She's going to tower above me I'm sure! We're a family of giants :ROFLMAO:
South Africans are big people though. I'm the shortest in my family!

I am shorter than everyone I know. My youngest is 6'1". Spike is my shortest one 5"6". My daughter is 5'8", and The Pirate is 5'10". I just tell folks I haven't finished growing yet. I need to stand out in a good rain storm. :angel:

I am shorter than everyone I know. My youngest is 6'1". Spike is my shortest one 5"6". My daughter is 5'8", and The Pirate is 5'10". I just tell folks I haven't finished growing yet. I need to stand out in a good rain storm. :angel:

I'm 5'0 and my bf's 9 yr old niece is taller than me lol. I have a couple pairs of her hand me down shoes (she has some feet problems so they have to buy her really nice supportive shoes. Most comfortable ones I own!). I would like to weigh around 105-110, but I stick around 115-120. This time I'm really going to get down to 105 and try to stay there. I've been right around 1200-1300 calories every day for the last 4 days. After the holidays I was up to 122, and now I'm down to 119. Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't post in the weight loss threads, because sometimes when I talk about counting calories, people who need to lose large amounts of weight get offended because I don't need to lose any weight to be considered healthy. The reason I pay so much attention to it, is because I love food, and I gain weight if I just eat whatever I want. I am very impressed with the people who are able to lose 20, 30, 50lb and more, and I never want to have to be in that situation. So it's a constant part of my life, maintaining my weight, and counting calories. So anyway, I don't want to make anyone feel bad, just because I am in my healthy weight range. I'm more comfortable with myself when I'm at the lower end (I could go all the way down to 95 and still be considered healthy, although I would be too skinny for my own taste at that weight).

:ROFLMAO:
I got teased so much for being tall in school. It's fine now that I'm grown up. I was really skinny too. Kids used to say thing like....
If you wear a red tie, you'll look like a thermometer or if you stand sideways you could hide behind a sheet of paper or when I walked with my best friend (she's over weight) they used to say we look like the no 10 or call me Giraffe or twiggy or Olive Oyl (Popeye) :glare:
High School was worse. I developed really large breast but stayed stick thin. They always said when my breasts come around a corner I only follow 5 mins later (that was kinda funny) :LOL:
I wished I was short growing up!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom