DC pet owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
one of the last Botched efforts was to "free" 10`s of thousands of farmed salmon, all the Salmon died as a result of their meddling :(

Thanks for the information about the pet food recall. These are the types of pet food that are generally given out as free samples in order to get you to buy the products. I hope somebody recalls those as well.

Our Call Ducks

We have Pets. Ours are Call Ducks...safe for now.

Attachments

• Call Ducks.jpg
    Call Ducks.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 181
call ducks?

hmmm, the oldest avian profession?

and yes, andy, giving rise once again to the term "lucky duck"...

pacanis said:
Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths - CNN.com

Proctor & Gamble bought out Iams and Eukanuba, which is why saying they are equal to Purina now unfortunately rings very true. They dropped the quality of their ingredients to turn a larger profit for their shareholders. Iams changed their ingredients three times last year.

Nuto Max IS on the list, as are a couple other Nutro foods. One food not on this list, but is also being recalled is Mighty Dog.

This is only canned and packeted food being recalled, not the dry..... yet.

I've been buying Iams for my dogs since day 1 (they're both 3 now - Siberian Huskies) & for my 11year old cocker. I just buy the dry food. I had no idea P&G bought them out & changed their ingredients. Is it a lesser quality than before? What's a comparable brand? I haven't had any problems & they seem to like it well enough. They do prefer the mini chunks though. Any advice would be appreciated. I love my babies! :wub:

Dancer, Iams is probably the same quality as when you started using it. PG bought them out about 6-7 years ago. That is when many people noticed the first change (for the worse) in their pets. A lot of kennels that will only feed their food, which was Iams, stopped using it because it upset dogs' systems too much. I know a Golden Retriever breeder (shows, health screens her breeding adults) that used to feed Iams but her dogs' coats were dull and brittle, even with supplements. She's the one that told me of the as many as three ingredient changes in the last year because she dug into it and wanted to find out what was going on.

I think I said this before, but you just won't find a good quality dog food in a grocery store, pet dept store or feed store (typically). Holistic/natural food companies just won't make it cheap enough to let these stores add their inflated markup to it.... and markup on dog food isn't a whole lot. Plus they don't want to be sitting on the shelf along with the crap foods. It's not the image they want. Although, I do know Petco started handling Nature's Balance, the Dick Van Patten food and some of those are pretty good, but they are also 44 bucks for a 30 lb bag! At least the Duck and Potato one is.

People have just come to acccept hot spots, allergies, dry skin, ear infections as a normal part of owning a dog. And the first thing they should look into is what they are feeding him. Just look at those lists. Pretty odd that the same comapny that makes Iams canned food also makes Ol Roy... don'tcha think?
Also, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul isn't a bad one. On a sidenote though, it is made by the same company that had the aflatoxin scare two years ago....

Now, all the above said; I know some old dogs eating lousy food, but you have to wonder if they wouldn't live longer and have less problems eating a quality diet their whole lives.....

Thanks for the info Pancanis! I haven't had any health problems with my dogs, so I guess I should go with the ol' saying . . . If it ain't fixed, don't broke it! . . . or something like that! :LOL:

"Pan" canis :ROFLMAO: I suppose on a cooking list that would have been more fitting.
It's "PA" canis... as in my state and affinity for dogs. :)

You are right. If it aint broken don't fix it! But you'll know where to look if little things like I mentioned crop up. Especially the huskies. They need so much fat or fish oil in their diets if I remember correctly. Problems like I mentioned usually don't arise until after 2 yrs old.

Thanks for posting! I just bought my kitties a couple pouches of the Iam's Kitten formula Select Bites. I thought it would be a nice treat for them. But the numbers on the back indicate that this product is on the recall list. Haven't feed it to them yet and won't now.

Thanks for the information but I don't feed Jolie either of those brands. She will be having her teeth cleaned on March 2lst and I will ask my vet if what I am feeding her is okay.

PytnPlace said:
Thanks for posting! I just bought my kitties a couple pouches of the Iam's Kitten formula Select Bites. I thought it would be a nice treat for them. But the numbers on the back indicate that this product is on the recall list. Haven't feed it to them yet and won't now.

Whew! Close call! Thank God for forums like this! :clap:

pacanis said:
"Pan" canis :ROFLMAO: I suppose on a cooking list that would have been more fitting.
It's "PA" canis... as in my state and affinity for dogs. :)

You are right. If it aint broken don't fix it! But you'll know where to look if little things like I mentioned crop up. Especially the huskies. They need so much fat or fish oil in their diets if I remember correctly. Problems like I mentioned usually don't arise until after 2 yrs old.

Oops! Sorry about messing up your SN! I like your take on the canis part. Makes sense now. Obviously, I'm a dancer, so that's why my SN.

Well maybe I'm in the clear then. They're both 3. But thanks to you, as you said, if anything comes up, I know the first culprit I'll be checking! :mad: ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this info. So far my pets seem to be safe as I've been using Little Ceasar for my dog and Friskies for my cats.

Back
Top Bottom