"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Executive Chef

DC pet owners

Yahoo! Read about dog and cat food recall.
I dont think Im allowed to post article

Old 03-16-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I think Im allowed to post this one.

Recall -- Firm Press Release

FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
P&G Pet Care Announces Voluntary Participation in Menu Foods' Nationwide U.S. and Canadian Recall of Specific Canned and Small Foil Pouch 'Wet' Cat and Dog Foods

Kurt Weingand, D.V.M., Ph.D.
937-264-7676
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Dayton, OH -- March 16, 2007 -- In response to the recent Menu Foods, Inc. nationwide recall of wet pet foods, P&G Pet Care has announced a voluntary recall in the United States and Canada on specific 3 oz., 5.5 oz., 6 oz. and 13.2 oz. canned and 3 oz. and 5.3 oz. foil pouch "wet" cat and dog food products manufactured by Menu Foods Inc. Emporia, Kansas plant with the code dates of 6339 through 7073 followed by the plant code 4197. This voluntary recall is part of a larger product recall by Menu Foods Inc., a contract manufacturer that makes a small portion of canned and foil pouch 'wet' cat foods for Iams and Eukanuba as well as other non-P&G brands. There have been a small number of reported cases of cats from the US (none in Canada) becoming sick and developing signs of kidney failure. The signs of kidney failure include loss of appetite, vomiting, and lethargy. P&G Pet Care has received no case reports involving dogs.
This voluntary product recall involves discontinuation of all retail sales and product retrieval from consumers. Consumers should stop using the affected products immediately, and consult with a veterinarian if any symptoms are present in their pet. All Iams and Eukanuba products carry a 100 percent guarantee, and consumers can receive a refund for recalled products. For more information, consumers can contact the company at 1-800-882-1591 or visit www.Iams.com and www.Eukanuba.com for details.
To read can product codes, refer to the bottom of the can. The first four numbers of the second line of numbers are the date code, and the following four numbers indicate the plant code. For example, if the second line begins with four numbers from 6339 to 7073 followed by the plant code 4197, then the can should be recalled. For foil pouches, the code numbers are located at the lower left hand corner on the back of the pouch. The date and plant codes appear in the third group of numbers, beginning an 11-digit sequence. See www.Iams.com and www.Eukanuba.com for illustrated details.
P&G Pet Care is taking this proactive step out of an abundance of caution, because the health and well-being of pets is paramount in the mission of Iams and Eukanuba. Tests of some affected product have not revealed the cause of sickness, and testing will continue until a better understanding of the facts has been achieved. All other canned and small foil wet pouch products produced at other plants are not affected by this issue. Iams and Eukanuba "dry" products are not manufactured at Menu Foods and not affected by this issue. Iams and Eukanuba biscuits, treats and sauces are not affected by this issue.
P&G Pet Care has informed the Food and Drug Administration and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency on this issue. The company regrets any inconvenience to its consumers and retail customers.
####

Old 03-16-2007, 07:33 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thanks for the information. Fortunately we don't use those brands in our house. Our kitties are grateful for your thoughtfulness.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Sous Chef

So it's only for Iams and Eukanuba? PHEW!!! My kitties only eat Purina for indoor kitties.

Sambo, Lurkey and Liono say thank you for the info!!!
Old 03-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Master Chef

We use the dry Purina pet chows, for cats and dog both. We find it just as good a product as the Iams, for about half the price.

Chloe dog gets Milk Bones for treats, plus a few prime scraps. The cats don't get treats, except to lick out the occasional tuna can.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Good!Just trying to get the word out just in case someone is using this product.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew
Yahoo! Read about dog and cat food recall.
I dont think Im allowed to post article
Thanks for the heads up jpm. Didn't Eukanuba buy Iams a while back? I thought they merged - maybe I'm mixed up.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #8
Executive Chef

What is being recalled is canned and in foil pouches but only from a specific group that makes it for these brands.Dry food is fine.
Old 03-16-2007, 09:07 PM   #9
Sous Chef

We only feed Mother Hubbard's Wellness and Nutro Max for our babies. If the words "animal by-products" are anywhere in the ingredients list we will not buy it. We're also particular about wheat, corn, rice, etc being the first ingredient.

Sometimes I think they eat better than we do!
Old 03-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Popular dog, cat food recalled after kidney failure, deaths - CNN.com

Proctor & Gamble bought out Iams and Eukanuba, which is why saying they are equal to Purina now unfortunately rings very true. They dropped the quality of their ingredients to turn a larger profit for their shareholders. Iams changed their ingredients three times last year.

Nuto Max IS on the list, as are a couple other Nutro foods. One food not on this list, but is also being recalled is Mighty Dog.

This is only canned and packeted food being recalled, not the dry..... yet.