"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #91
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
You smooth talker, you. I already know which one she wants...I can see it now, between a nose honk and a wipe of the eye, "Oh, look. It's the Copper One! Thanks, Mom." See me smile.

As for treats, I have a special weakness for Igloo Oatmeal Cookies that have a browned butter frosting. I lost, er, misplaced the recipe last month so didn't get to make them. Oh, boy. Notwithstanding the coffee thingy here, an ice-cold glass of milk from kades' fridge would be perfect with them.
oh, copper is a good choice, tin! like denim, it will never go out of style. and you will be making trips to your kitchen, just to take another look at your beautiful copper ka-- all sleek and curved and lustrously bronze....

my kitchen is a stingy, cramped space, too. when i hurt my back, i moved my keurig coffeemaker and k cup carousel into my bedroom. i love this set-up! the keurig sits on top of the dresser like it belongs there, adding a touch of B&B style comfort and convenience to my bedroom.

only thing is, sometimes, like this morning, i might not venture out of my bedroom til almost noon. i like to linger there, wake myself up with a second mug of dark hot brew, catch up on news, weather, and other morning tv nonsense....

Old 01-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #92
Hospitality Queen

Wow the coffee in here smells delightful! I'll partake of some, and another cookie if I may. What the heck - it's Monday - I'll make my coffee a double.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #93
Executive Chef

monday, monday, can't trust that dayyy...whatTHEheck, double up on those cookies, too, jkath, they're good with coffee, not too sweet---oh, i didn't even See THOSE, jkath! they look homemade! it's gotta be kades or tin, i think...although...just look at the goodies filling up our new fridge! people must be planning to do a lot of munching and dunking on their coffee breaks....:)

i'll be looking to find your food blog, jkath. so far, my computer is giving off this 'unable to display page' message....:(
Old 01-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #94
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
oh, copper is a good choice, tin! like denim, it will never go out of style. and you will be making trips to your kitchen, just to take another look at your beautiful copper ka-- all sleek and curved and lustrously bronze....

my kitchen is a stingy, cramped space, too. when i hurt my back, i moved my keurig coffeemaker and k cup carousel into my bedroom. i love this set-up! the keurig sits on top of the dresser like it belongs there, adding a touch of B&B style comfort and convenience to my bedroom.

only thing is, sometimes, like this morning, i might not venture out of my bedroom til almost noon. i like to linger there, wake myself up with a second mug of dark hot brew, catch up on news, weather, and other morning tv nonsense....
Here I thought you were a nice person -- but you turn out to be a terrible influence. You'll be leading me into a life of sloth and indulgence! Just from reading your post I'm already trying to think of a place to put a hot drink appliance in my bedroom. Hmm...and hot cocoa while finishing up the bedtime reading. And wouldn't that be nice for a houseguest -- coffee makers appear regularly at the thrift stores.

But to business: I saw on a thread (maybe this one??) about the ka style/type, either a tip-back head or lift-up bowl. What's the scoop on that?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #95
Hospitality Queen

I'm adding along a bowl of pecans for us to snack on - since I eat them pretty much every morning with my coffee, I figured you guys might want some too :) (and they taste good with those cookies anyway)
Old 01-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #96
Head Chef

I apologize for running off on another topic. I'll try to do better.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #97
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I apologize for running off on another topic. I'll try to do better.
It's the coffee klatch. It's for wandering topics/conversation.

Anyone else keep thinking of Klatchians in Terry Pratchett's Disk World?
Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #98
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It's the coffee klatch. It's for wandering topics/conversation.

Anyone else keep thinking of Klatchians in Terry Pratchett's Disk World?
Oh yes...
Old 01-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #99
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well, neither, of course, here in Tinyville.

You'd vote for a KA, like bakechef? I also have to weigh things like, would the KA still be covetable in X number of years? Would it still be desirable, having been used for X years? Or if I just put it away, would the kids shake their heads, "She bought this and didn't even use it!" or words to that effect.

Tra-la-la, a'splitting hairs we go. Something tells me Addie could settle my hash pretty quickly when I go on like this.
Right now for the average home, the KA is pretty expensive. and you can be pretty sure by the time the little ones start their own homes, they will covet your KA. Just on the cost alone. Starting out on one's own, is pretty expensive. Ask any parents who kids are still home. Definitely use it. Let the children help or at least lick the beaters. Gives them fond memories. Get a child's cookbook from your local library and let them make dishes that call for using the mixer. I have the pasta maker and the food grinder. I use the grinder quite frequently. I make my own noodles for chicken noodle soup. When I bought them, they cost the grand sum of $24.99 each. I haven't look at the prices lately. I also have the big glass bowl and two metal bowls. One with and one without a handle. The one with is so much easier to use. The one with cost me $19.99. Well worth the cost. The glass bowl was a present. BTW I bought my KA for $60.00. And it is still gong strong.

Definitely use your KA. Let the kids see you using it and how easy it is to use. Let them participate and help. Let them learn how to attach the beaters and whisk. There will be arguments over who gets it when you no longer use it. But you will find yourself using it to make cakes and other goodies if and when they leave home. It will outlast your washer, dryer, fridge and any other appliance you may have in your home or kitchen. And get as much use.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #100
Hospitality Queen

It's 3:30pm... time for my coffee break - I'm making Hazelnut...anyone want a cup?

Tags
coffee