"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2013, 01:27 PM   #1151
Executive Chef

Watch So You Think You Can Dance: Hayley & Dmitry: Top 8 Perform online | Free | Huluys

okay, okay, i'll give you one more. but just this one.:) bad boys--we love 'em. we wanna make it work. we try and we try until we can try no longer. hot latino blooded rumba with hayley and dmitry. have a cold shower waiting

Old 08-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #1152
Everymom

Having an iced coffee after dinner. Still pretty freaking hot here.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #1153
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Having an iced coffee after dinner. Still pretty freaking hot here.
How are my kitties doing? I miss Buttons. I need to take some time and visit with them. Right now I am a bit concerned with what my doctor found today. He thinks I broke a rib just under my breast. At least there is no lump. I am going Friday for some X-ray workup. And I am Vitamin D deficiency. That was a surprise. All my numbers are right on the mark. Including my sugar readings and A1c.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #1154
Everymom

Kitties are well. They swarmed me when I came in (as usual) and tried to tell me they were starved and ill treated. I got a little snuggle time when I sat down but got ditched pretty quickly when the birds started arriving at the feeder outside. Those two little beasties sat and chirruped at the birds for a long time. Cute.

About vitamin D Addie, up here in the north we are all severely deficient most of the time. I've been taking 2000-4000 iu every day for nearly a year now and you know what? Not one single virus. Not a cold, flu, not an episode of SAD, nothing. Working where I do, that is darned miraculous as the kids bring through myriad virus strains daily! My coworkers were all sick as dogs around Christmas with a nasty flu bug. One poor guy was off for six weeks til his lungs were better.

I did some reading about it, and so far, they can't seem to find a toxic level of vitamin D. There is some speculation that the daily recommended dose is just enough to keep us from being sick all the time and that we actually could use a lot more. Since its a water soluble vitamin, your body just flushes any unused portions out. Cool beans.

Anyway, enough blather from me. Just thought I'd share my experiences with you.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #1155
Executive Chef

Watch So You Think You Can Dance: Fik-Shun & Amy: Top 6 Perform online | Free | Hulu

TWERKING done right!!--amy and fik-shun in a hip hop routine. this is the next-to-last sytycd show. the winner of this dance contest will be selected next tuesday night....
Old 08-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #1156
Executive Chef

Quote:
Kitties are well. They swarmed me when I came in (as usual) and tried to tell me they were starved and ill treated. I got a little snuggle time when I sat down but got ditched pretty quickly when the birds started arriving at the feeder outside. Those two little beasties sat and chirruped at the birds for a long time. Cute.

About vitamin D Addie, up here in the north we are all severely deficient most of the time. I've been taking 2000-4000 iu every day for nearly a year now and you know what? Not one single virus. Not a cold, flu, not an episode of SAD, nothing. Working where I do, that is darned miraculous as the kids bring through myriad virus strains daily! My coworkers were all sick as dogs around Christmas with a nasty flu bug. One poor guy was off for six weeks til his lungs were better.

I did some reading about it, and so far, they can't seem to find a toxic level of vitamin D. There is some speculation that the daily recommended dose is just enough to keep us from being sick all the time and that we actually could use a lot more. Since its a water soluble vitamin, your body just flushes any unused portions out. Cool beans.

Anyway, enough blather from me. Just thought I'd share my experiences with you.
i agree wholeheartedly with your vitamin D recommendation, alix. i've been from a to z with vitamin supplements over the years. all i take anymore, is a multiple vitamin and D-2000iu daily. i no longer take vitamiins A, E, Bs, calcium, etc, etc,.... the benefits of vitamin D are so huge and vast for someone like me, who doesn't get enough natural sunlight, that it merits a permanent place on my bedside stand.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:06 PM   #1157
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i agree wholeheartedly with your vitamin D recommendation, alix. i've been from a to z with vitamin supplements over the years. all i take anymore, is a multiple vitamin and D-2000iu daily. i no longer take vitamiins A, E, Bs, calcium, etc, etc,.... the benefits of vitamin D are so huge and vast for someone like me, who doesn't get enough natural sunlight, that it merits a permanent place on my bedside stand.
I don't do vitamins much either. I get enough calcium in my diet, ditto most of the other vitamins. If you eat fruits and veggies in all the colors of the rainbow, you're usually covered. Vitamin D however, only comes from the sun. So, living up here in the Great White North, I need to supplement. I do vitamin C sometimes too, and the occasional MSM tablet if I've injured myself!

Vitauta, what have you been up to lately? I haven't seen you posting as much as usual.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #1158
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Vitamin D is important and I take in winter, but there very likely is a toxic level. It is not water soluble. It's fat soluble. Vitamin D - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Remember, kids used to get cod liver oil for Vitamin D.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #1159
Everymom

Yikes! I must have mixed up my readings about Vitamin D and C. Good catch lady. I'm off to an appointment, but I'll see if I can find that article about not finding a toxic level.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #1160
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Yikes! I must have mixed up my readings about Vitamin D and C. Good catch lady. I'm off to an appointment, but I'll see if I can find that article about not finding a toxic level.
Even though vitamin C is water soluble, megadoses can cause problems:

Vitamin C megadosage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Among other things, it can cause systemic conditioning ("rebound scurvy"). When I lived in Denmark in the early '70s I was told a story about that.

Apparently, at one time Danish breweries added vitamin C to the beer. Brewery workers were allowed to drink as much beer as they wanted (on the job) as long as they didn't get drunk. Then the breweries stopped adding vitamin C to the beer and a number of brewery workers came down with scurvy. Those that did had been drinking enough beer to get megadoses of vitamin C. Once they figured out the problem, they just gave those workers vitamin C supplements and slowly weaned them off the excess.

Tags
coffee