"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #111
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

LOL!!! Thanks!

Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #112
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Perhaps but, more importantly, it should be easier to sharpen.

1. -With minimal pressure the knife cuts through 6 layers of cocktail napkin
2. -about 6 for me and 6 for the wife*
3. -over a dozen

*Paring
Bird's Beak
Utility / petty
Cooks
Bread
Slicer
Butcher
Santoku
Heavy cleaver
Boning
Meat saw
Dough
Fillet
that list looks like it could represent thousands of $$$, jpb. what is santoku? are any of your knives wusthofs? how many different brands do you own? if you had to 'pare' your collection down to just four knives, which knives would you and mrs. jpb keep? why do you need more than one or two paring knives? your very favorite knife brand, price being no object....

Old 01-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #113
Executive Chef

santoku
Attached Images

Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #114
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Tully's Breakfast Blend, just a half cup and I can already feel the extra caffiene. It's a light roast. I'll be zipping off to work soon! I'll leave the rest of these almond scones here.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:53 AM   #115
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
that list looks like it could represent thousands of $$$, jpb. what is santoku? are any of your knives wusthofs? how many different brands do you own? if you had to 'pare' your collection down to just four knives, which knives would you and mrs. jpb keep? why do you need more than one or two paring knives? your very favorite knife brand, price being no object....
Wusthof, Henckels, Anton Wingen, Shun, MAC, Dexter, Dexter-Russell, Russell, Lamson, Chicago Cutlery, Sabatier, Kabar, Godell, and Goldhamster; to name a few
Old 01-08-2013, 10:02 AM   #116
Executive Chef

Quote:
Wusthof, Henckels, Anton Wingen, Shun, MAC, Dexter, Dexter-Russell, Russell, Lamson, Chicago Cutlery, Sabatier, Kabar, Godell, and Goldhamster; to name a few

the santoku looks like a knife ready to do some serious slicing and dicing, or else, some serious harm.

your list of knife brands is impressive, jpb. i've not heard of most of those famous knife makers. i bet you and the missus get a great deal of pleasure from using and sharpening your knives.

i will never have or need a knife collection. i have one hundred dollars to spend one time on one very good knife to make my chopping and slicing life easier. what would you recommend, jpb?
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #117
Executive Chef

Slicing and chopping are usually done with different knives. With an 8" length and if your willing to wash and dry within a reasonable period after each use, the below linked knife will do both. Because it's high carbon steel, over time it will acquire a dark patina.
Knife, Cook's, Carbon Steel by DEXTER - Knives by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
For slicing the 10" fo $30 might be better
http://www.zorotools.com/g/Cooks%20Knife/00031422/
Old 01-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #118
Executive Chef

pf's scones--all gone before i could snag one, dang! oh well, that's a bunch of calories i don't have to deal with later. i just hate it when being "good" is the only choice i have, though. i need to find some tasty, low calorie munchies for these coffee breaks. maybe some rye melba type thins. and---stella dora!! are those sweet, light-as-air "cakes" still around? stella dora--wow, that name takes me back, what, thirty years? anyone seen stella in the stores recently--in one of the dietetic aisles? is there such a thing as a low calorie scone, i wonder....
Old 01-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #119
Executive Chef

Quote:
Slicing and chopping are usually done with different knives. With an 8" length and if your willing to wash and dry within a reasonable period after each use, the below linked knife will do both. Because it's high carbon steel, over time it will acquire a dark patina.
Knife, Cook's, Carbon Steel by DEXTER - Knives by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
For slicing the 10" fo $30 might be better
Cooks Knife by DEXTER - Knives by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
the cook's knife is a good looking knife. the idea of a darkened patina is appealing to me. i'm intimidated by knives with long, 8-10 inch blades, though. since i broke my good wrist last year, i haven't had my former strength or dexterity in that hand. and i find that it tires easily when i'm handling knives. this circumstance is the main reason that i am now considering the purchase of an expensive, quality knife. .
Old 01-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #120
Hospitality Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The nuts are not harmful...oh, you meant the pecans and peanuts..

Love it.

just getting to my vanilla from the Keurig, which will get a small splash of organic milk. Grabbing a handful of raw pecans to go with it too. mmmm.

Tags
coffee