DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Let's do type of cooking and then author. For the fiction, let's see what we have first, just go for author, then see if we have enough to sort by genre.

I woke up this morning thinking of the bakery where I got my first job -- in a mom & pop bakery. My favorite 'donut' was maple cream sticks, yeast-raised with a creamy white filling, then maple icing. A close second was their elephant ears, crunchy and sweet. Oh, and the lemon-filled jelly buns. Through the same magic that's creating this new, ever-expanding building, I've picked up a dozen of each. They're over there on the table by the door. Hope everyone likes them.

True Crime should go in the Non-Fiction...

Uhoh, are we going to fight about this? True Crime is a subgenre of mystery usually. Those of us who read it hate having to go to non fiction for it. Can we take a vote on where to find it please? I'll put that box aside. I have a sticky note on that Edna Buchanan. Its my next TBR.

I woke up this morning thinking of the bakery where I got my first job -- in a mom & pop bakery. My favorite 'donut' was maple cream sticks, yeast-raised with a creamy white filling, then maple icing. A close second was their elephant ears, crunchy and sweet. Oh, and the lemon-filled jelly buns. Through the same magic that's creating this new, ever-expanding building, I've picked up a dozen of each. They're over there on the table by the door. Hope everyone likes them.

Lemon filled jelly and maple iced long johns are my absolute FAVORITES. I guess I'll have to do some extra exercise if I eat both huh? Do you think schlepping boxes of books back and forth will count?

I just got my order of coffee! I have left some creme caramel and some highland grogg flavors by the keurig. Enjoy!

The foundations have been poured. Bubba says that you can write your initials on the back steps if you want to.

Uhoh, are we going to fight about this? True Crime is a subgenre of mystery usually. Those of us who read it hate having to go to non fiction for it. Can we take a vote on where to find it please? I'll put that box aside. I have a sticky note on that Edna Buchanan. Its my next TBR.

Nope, no fight. I brought this dust brush, some of these are really dusty!

I'll grab a chamomile tea and start down here with the "Z's".

May I propose that no matter how much Bubba needs the money that we absolutely do not add on an exercise room.

oh hiya there, girl--i've been hoping to run into you...looks like you are ready for a refill--here let me take your cup, tin. i'm playing catch-up here. need something to wake up my sorry brain this morning, oh lordy....

so, what's new with you, lady? has alix talked to you--about our 'library', to see if you would lend a hand with that sh--load of books that's been steady rolling in here? she was going to ask if you could fit in some volunteer time. you know your books with the best of them, tin. and, it would be so fun to work together on them, don't you think, an' catch up with things... alix posted a sign-up list the other day--huh, i don't see it here anywhere, now -- but i know she was planning to call you in person....i know, i know how busy you have been recently, whatever time you can spare, tin. every little bit helps....:)

and what is this i'm hearing about an exercise room, tin? yeah, it's a new one on me--you know how rumors have been flying around here, like swarms of gnats, and not just about construction, either, if you know what i'm sayin'....:)

Last edited:
I went to the lumber yard today and arranged for them to deliver building materials to our coffee house.

The man behind the counter got really frustrated with me. First, I told him I needed lots of 2x4's. Then, he asked me how long I wanted them. I told him that I wanted them for a long time because I was building a house. ;)

Framers will be onsite tomorrow. Get ready for lots of hammering and sawing. Bubba subcontracted the framing work out to Darrell and Darrell and Darrell in trade for hunting rights next season.

I went to the lumber yard today and arranged for them to deliver building materials to our coffee house.

The man behind the counter got really frustrated with me. First, I told him I needed lots of 2x4's. Then, he asked me how long I wanted them. I told him that I wanted them for a long time because I was building a house. ;)

Framers will be onsite tomorrow. Get ready for lots of hammering and sawing. Bubba subcontracted the framing work out to Darrell and Darrell and Darrell in trade for hunting rights next season.

ROFL!!

Oh no, not the Darrell brothers...more like larry, moe and curly.:rolleyes:

i thought things were going way too smoothly for a first-time construction project, with a small independent company at that... bubba's been doing a bang-up job so far though, and he's even ahead of schedule--unheard of in the industry! but what is up with bubba subbing out an important part of the job to...to this darrell character? is he even licensed and bonded? has bubba worked with him before, or anything? i know, i know, i get that bubba loves his deer hunting and all. but since when has posted land ever gotten in the way of bubba and hunting season? he needs a hunting pass from this darrell guy, darrell X3--he what, owns the property where bubba wants to go hunting--really?

.40, you know you are the man. this has been your deal all the way. and you haven't steered us wrong yet. we trust you, we do, .40, and we like bubba too--come to respect his craft, like that he's so gol-darned dependable--working on mlk holiday an' all.

well, .40, it's your call, and we'll follow your lead as always, but i don't know-- just give this one some more thought, would you?--the ladies especially, aren't feeling very comfortable with your darrell X 3. they are looking for places where to hide their pocketbooks already....

Last edited:
No need to worry about the brothers Darrell. They are first rate carpenters....well carpenters anyway. Only bad thing I've heard is that they get a little carried away. I called in Uncle Joe to supervise the construction. It's amazing what he can get done from his rocker on the porch.

Seems to be some confusion. The brothers are going to do the work for free in exchange for hunting rights on Bubba's land next season. I just need to do a little more horse-trading. In the end, all the labor will be donated in trades.

No need to worry about the brothers Darrell. They are first rate carpenters....well carpenters anyway. Only bad thing I've heard is that they get a little carried away. I called in Uncle Joe to supervise the construction. It's amazing what he can get done from his rocker on the porch.

Seems to be some confusion. The brothers are going to do the work for free in exchange for hunting rights on Bubba's land next season. I just need to do a little more horse-trading. In the end, all the labor will be donated in trades.

oh .40, you should just tell me to butt out when i'm going on about things that i don't have a clue, okay? from now on, i'll try to stay out of your lane, 40-- just know that i won't be setting foot within 50 miles of them darrells when they set out with their rifles....

i think i'll have me another cuppa, and see who else might be showing up this morning...

Last edited:

I just want to know which Darrell is the best carpenter? Everyone excels at something. Maybe one of them is the hunter in the family, and one a great carpenter. :angel:

oh hiya there, girl--i've been hoping to run into you...looks like you are ready for a refill--here let me take your cup, tin. i'm playing catch-up here. need something to wake up my sorry brain this morning, oh lordy....

so, what's new with you, lady? has alix talked to you--about our 'library', to see if you would lend a hand with that sh--load of books that's been steady rolling in here? she was going to ask if you could fit in some volunteer time. you know your books with the best of them, tin. and, it would be so fun to work together on them, don't you think, an' catch up with things... alix posted a sign-up list the other day--huh, i don't see it here anywhere, now -- but i know she was planning to call you in person....i know, i know how busy you have been recently, whatever time you can spare, tin. every little bit helps....:)

and what is this i'm hearing about an exercise room, tin? yeah, it's a new one on me--you know how rumors have been flying around here, like swarms of gnats, and not just about construction, either, if you know what i'm sayin'....:)

Thanks for the refill, V. I had yardwork to do yesterday afternoon and a skosh more caffeine helps.

Sign me up -- many hands make light work, and besides, doing stuff with books isn't real work. It struck me that book-schlepping is as far as I would want to go exercise-wise here in our rapidly coming together oasis from the slings and arrows out there. So I don't think anyone actually suggested a room for it, but I thought it was a good idea to nip it in the bud anyway. Here's the place we can pile on calories, fat, sugar, with no consequences.

I brought a spare cup this morning to leave here. Should we have one of those boards like some neighborhood restaurants have, with the regulars' cups hanging up?

How fortunate we are to have .40 overseeing things so ably. able-ly?

well, hello tin, what a nice surprise to see you here. they haven't started their morning ruckus yet, so we can have a nice relaxing coffee, and chat a bit. oh good, i see they've got my old keurig coffeemaker working again. did you make these molasses cookies i'm eating? they are really special--i wouldn't have expected molasses to taste so good in a cookie. i'm going to want to make some of these myself. where do you go to find molasses in the store anyway--is it in the breakfast aisle where they have the maple syrup and pancake toppings....?.

yes tin, i like your idea of a plaque on the wall, where to hang our mugs and cups. makes me think of the quakers, and their tidy and artistic ways. they were an extraordinarily neat and gentle folk. even the chairs got hung up on the walls when not in use...oh yeah, .40 is a oao, for sure....:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom