"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-01-2014, 10:00 AM   #1371
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Looks like most folks have gone off to bed around our little clubhouse here. That's OK, I'll just set a bit with my mystery book and my glass of wine and enjoy the last of the embers from whatever fire some sweetie had going in the fireplace earlier tonight. BTW, I checked the stock of our coffee supply and it looks like a lot of you have been bringing some of those K-cups to use. How nice! Now if someone wants to get us one of those reusable baskets I wouldn't mind bringing in a bag of the stuff. No Keurig in our house, we make our Joe by the pot-full!

Here's 2 "My Coffee" reusable cups. I'll put them in the drawer under the Keurig.

For myself I'm going for a quad-shot Breve. Time to wake up and go about the day. I'm making some steel cut oatmeal, anyone up for a bite?

Old 03-01-2014, 10:14 AM   #1372
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Here's 2 "My Coffee" reusable cups. I'll put them in the drawer under the Keurig.

For myself I'm going for a quad-shot Breve. Time to wake up and go about the day. I'm making some steel cut oatmeal, anyone up for a bite?
I just had a couple of big spoonfuls of peanut butter right from the jar. I took the jar out of the cabinet with the intention of making PB cookies. Hopefully, later today.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #1373
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Good morning everyone. I'm on my second coffee and starting to wake up. I'm having left-over Caesar salad with a chopped up hard boiled egg and a blob of mayo for breakfast. The croutons are no longer crunchy. They are chewy.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:38 PM   #1374
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I need to go freezer spelunking...we just talked about and know that if we were snowed in for two weeks we would not go hungry.

Going to go make a second coffee now and shiver some more.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #1375
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm on my second cup of really delicious espresso allongé. I just read an article that explains why I won't use disposable coffee "pods".

Your Coffee Pods' Dirty Secret | Mother Jones
Old 03-20-2014, 03:15 PM   #1376
Executive Chef

We don't use the pods mainly because of the cost. Also, the coffee is a little bit stronger than we like it. DH is picky. Me, I drink any brewed coffee. No instant.

PF, we would not go hungry either. I noticed yesterday that there's a little bit of room in my freezer. Time to go shopping.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:53 PM   #1377
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I need to go freezer spelunking...we just talked about and know that if we were snowed in for two weeks we would not go hungry.

Going to go make a second coffee now and shiver some more.
Just two weeks? In addition to a rather full freezer, we have a basement. You may not want a basement. My basement has a utility shelf full of staples: beans, rice, pasta, savory spices and herbs, etc. Then there is the old shelf our daughter used for a lot of her stuffed toys when she was small. A baker's shelf. Yup, that has my baking supplies and sweet spices, along with just a few muffin mixes. That's where we keep the cereal and crackers too. If we were to use up all our foods in two weeks it means I've been inviting neighbors over for most meals
Old 03-20-2014, 04:08 PM   #1378
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
..I just read an article that explains why I won't use disposable coffee "pods"...
Good article taxy. That's one reason I won't use a Keurig. The other is that I'm basically cheap.

A couple snips from the article: Green Mountain aims to have "a Keurig System on every counter," as the company states in its latest annual report ~ They'll be disappointed with us, won't they taxy! I know neither of us are getting one.

Also: the company plans to make all coffee pods recyclable by 2020 ~ 2020? How nice. However, that "Dean's Beans" I mentioned elsewhere earlier this week has them now. Guess when you aren't a big company with a lot of money to throw around you spend the time to improve your product and its delivery system.

I just brewed a pot of Melitta coffee. Had a coupon, it was on sale. Like I said, I'm cheap frugal. It's actually pretty good! Plus a smaller measure makes a bigger cup (6 oz vs Green Mountain's 5) and the flavor is just as full. Happy camper here.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:08 PM   #1379
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm having a rare afternoon cup of coffee, sure tastes good!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #1380
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
We don't use the pods mainly because of the cost. Also, the coffee is a little bit stronger than we like it. DH is picky. Me, I drink any brewed coffee. No instant.

PF, we would not go hungry either. I noticed yesterday that there's a little bit of room in my freezer. Time to go shopping.
If instant were the only coffee on the planet, I would give up coffee.

Tags
coffee