"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #141
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Just pulled some coffee beans out of the roaster and thought I'd drop them off.

Todays roast comes all the way from Columbia. This particular lot comes from several small estates in the Taminango region on the northern border with Ecuador. These farms are planted primarily in the caturra varietal.

The dry grounds have a peach smell to them and a bran-like sweetness. Pouring hot water brings up raspberry and maple in the steam. Roasted to Full City, well developed sugars are notable in in the cup, light brown sugar, wildflower honey, and butterscotch with a cacao finish. As the temperature of the cup dips, fruits begin to emerge there is a base of green grape and Asian pear

Enjoy DC.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 PM   #142
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Nice aroma! Thanks .40. I have more of the Oatmeal Scones, I added some golden flax seed to them and some cinnamon icing on the side if you would rather not have it. These other scones are plain and made with 1/2 almond flour and I have a dish of lemon curd to spread on. They are still warm.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 AM   #143
Executive Chef

finally, i got here in time to sample your scones, pf. they are really nice! and these ones with the almond flour...is it the almond flour i'm tasting? yum--i love the mouthfeel--so perfect with my first morning coffees. like, i really need another guilty pleasure right about now, lol....have you tasted my fogchaser coffee yet, pf? it's there, in that clear canister on the counter? they are those eco-friendly pods that need to be stored in a sealed container. sfb, my new go-to coffee, so good. now, i guess i can do away with that fancy rotating carousel of mine, huh? dang, i really liked displaying all my different coffees in that thing, too. maybe i'll keep it around just to store my special brand k cups in....
are you sharing your recipe for those almondy scones, pf--or better yet, bringing them in here already made? :)
Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #144
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Here is the basic recipe I use, I add and subtract from there. Scones: King Arthur Flour
Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #145
Head Chef

of scone, that is.

(Thanks to MrsLMB on Today's Funny)
Old 01-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #146
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Here is the basic recipe I use, I add and subtract from there. Scones: King Arthur Flour

thank you, pf. i got hungry all over again just reading through the mixing instructions for the scones. interesting, that they like to be chilled before baking. i have a new jar of plum jam waiting in the wings....

congratulations, on your master's degree! that is a super achievement, pf, and to think you accomplished it while holding down a full time job makes it even more impressive!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #147
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thank you, pf. i got hungry all over again just reading through the mixing instructions for the scones. interesting, that they like to be chilled before baking. i have a new jar of plum jam waiting in the wings....

congratulations, on your master's degree! that is a super achievement, pf, and to think you accomplished it while holding down a full time job makes it even more impressive!
Thanks, Vit...full-time job, that's why it took me 6 years... I'm so glad to be done with my dissertation, finally.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM   #148
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's my favorite scone recipe!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #149
Executive Chef

while i'm waiting to get some ka flour bought and home (for making those scones), i also need to decide between two homemade jams: one is a no-seeds blackberry, and the other, which i don't think i've had before, is strawberry rhubarb. oh, and then there is also a black-raspberry! which jam would go best with the ka scones, do you think?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 PM   #150
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
while i'm waiting to get some ka flour bought and home (for making those scones), i also need to decide between two homemade jams: one is a no-seeds blackberry, and the other, which i don't think i've had before, is strawberry rhubarb. oh, and then there is also a black-raspberry! which jam would go best with the ka scones, do you think?
The choice is obvious. Put 3 scones on your plate and slather each with a different jelly. :) Don't forget the coffee. Stay away from the S.cones!

Tags
coffee