DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The beauty of a virtual space is that it is pleasing to the beholders eye. I imagine we each something just a bit different, just knowing the cushions are there makes it perfect. Knowing you can imagine and reach for what you want and/or need and always put a hand to it is all we need in this magical space.

Excuse me, I'm headed back to the washtub and scrub up a few extra monitors and keyboards folks keep spraying their beverages onto...

the eloquent truth of your words touches my heart, pf. just look at how the kitties have taken to your 'new' rocking chairs--little gal all curled into a round ball of breathing fur, the other stretched out full length, hanging off the seat pillow at both ends. don'tcha just wish you could sleep like that--not a care in the world...

so, what's up with cute stuff here, anyway? are they here on a trial visit, or has the deal been sealed on the adoption already? responsible and deserving as we are, i wasn't at all sure the spca would approve us for adoption of one of their animals.

has anybody heard from .40 today? the men have been hard at work around back, but i'm terrified to venture out there, myself. i only wish bubba hadn't loaned out his pneumatic nail gun. in the hands of them darrell boys, that rapid fire nail gun is more like a loose cannon. even in fun, they get to playing, and....:ohmy:

Last edited:
Got some bad news to report. Seems that Schneider was running his mouth instead of paying attention to what he was doing and nailed his hand to the roof. We had the fire department, the police department, code enforcement, and Bubba out at the building today.

The good news is that Schneider is going to be OK. Pity he didn't nail his mouth closed. The fire department got his hand pried loose and the rest of him down from the roof. The police department ruled the incident as self-inflicted accidental injury and our permits were on the up-and-up.

The bad news is Bubba fired Schneider for operating a nail gun while intoxicated. Apparently, there was more Irish than Coffee in his thermos. Our roof is only half finished.

Bubba and Darrell the younger will finish up the roofing job tomorrow. This is could have been a lot worse. I think we need to cook up some BBQ for the crew's lunch tomorrow and tell them how much we appreciate their hard work.

Got some bad news to report. Seems that Schneider was running his mouth instead of paying attention to what he was doing and nailed his hand to the roof. We had the fire department, the police department, code enforcement, and Bubba out at the building today.

The good news is that Schneider is going to be OK. Pity he didn't nail his mouth closed. The fire department got his hand pried loose and the rest of him down from the roof. The police department ruled the incident as self-inflicted accidental injury and our permits were on the up-and-up.

The bad news is Bubba fired Schneider for operating a nail gun while intoxicated. Apparently, there was more Irish than Coffee in his thermos. Our roof is only half finished.

Bubba and Darrell the younger will finish up the roofing job tomorrow. This is could have been a lot worse. I think we need to cook up some BBQ for the crew's lunch tomorrow and tell them how much we appreciate their hard work.

What kind of gun... A roofing gun? Nasty nails with those barbs from the wire spool... Clip the head and pull on through...

I've got twenty pounds of potatoes I can make into salad for the Que party for the guys. I think we should have it on Saturday, give us some time to get full participation.

I could do baked beans. Any thoughts? I imagine .40 and "love2Q" will take care of the actual grilling. I know that "Texas BBQ" is a little different that grilling ;) so they should be able to cover all the bases. ;)

Last edited:
You have a great opportunity to have a special friendship with your 17year old granddaughter. Does she share your "foodism"? That could be a fun shared interest. ;).
My grandchildren live about 2.5 - 3 hours away(depending on traffic). And yes they are young, DD kept me waiting for them for quite awhile ;-) I wish I could see them everyday. BTW......I have a 20 yr. old step-grandson too!

My oldest grandchild is 35 y.o. My youngest great grandchild is 4 y.o. My youngest grandchild is three y.o. All together there are 17 of them. I think. :angel:

Last edited:
What kind of gun... A roofing gun? Nasty nails with those barbs from the wire spool... Clip the head and pull on through...

I saw all the hulabaloo when I was waking by with Teddy. I wondered what was going on. I would have stopped, but that is when Teddy decided to do his 'thing'. There was also another dog coming up the street and Teddy just had to investigate. :angel:

potato salad and baked beans are two perfect must-have, much-loved items for our bbq. thank you, pf and bunny. i sent .40 an email re the change of date to saturday, and he is fine with it. men sometimes need to be reminded that food events require some preparation and planning time in order to happen....:)

my contribution to the bbq will be 8 lbs. of pork spareribs, and two large bags of free- range chicken wings. i'm buying, not grilling.:) but let me tell you about the local farm where they raise these chickens and pigs....it goes by the name of "babes in the wood". they are far beyond the usual organic, free range and grass-fed farm environment that we hear about these days. the best, juiciest, richest-flavored pork i've eaten in many years--the way pork USED to taste. the way pork is SUPPOSED to taste, the way it tasted when pork ruled at our house. it's back, folks--at babe's farm! Babe's pigs live in the forest and rolling hills of a 65 acre farm in virginia. the piglets live in the woods from the time of their birth. they live happily unconfined, roaming and foraging for nuts and berries, etc., providing the most rich flavored, meaty textured pork you can imagine. if you wish, you can visit babe's pigs up close and personal, by visiting the farm. i'll pass on that, myself. i don't wish to get that personal with my main course....

i'm so sorry, here i go again, boring you nice folks with my long-winded stories. let me just quickly dispense with this by saying that the chickens are treated with the same care and humanity as the pigs at babe's farm.. only they live in the pastures, rather than in the forest....i can't tell you how thrilled i am to be able to bring babe's meats to our bbq on saturday. you may decide not to go back to supermarket meats after you get a taste of babe's....:)

Last edited:
Saturday it is and I won't say a word to anyone. It should be a surprise. I'll put some boston butt on the smoker for pulled pork sammies.

It's perfect timing really. The building should be completely dried in and ready for sheetrock by then.

I have the firepit started, it should be ready by then, too. At least to admire, depending on how much time I have to play with it.

we will be needing a good sized cooking surface for barbecuing our spare ribs and wings on saturday. does the fire pit have a grilling grate insert, or a cooking grill that fits over the top? i'm just asking--we can always bring in a couple of portable grills for the job, if needed...
shall we pitch in for a pony keg for bubba and the guys? or just go with a few suitcases of sodas and canned beer....

truth be told, i'm kinda relieved that bubba let schnieder go. i'm glad to have missed all the brouhaha with the cops and emts the other day. actually, schneider was lucky he wasn't arrested for public drunkeness or something....

HEY! Who drank all my whiskey??? I was stocking the bar and brought in some Glenfiddich! BBQ? I can do desserts. How many are we expecting? I'll do some brownies, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and maybe a couple of pies. I've got blueberries in the freezer and I can do an apple or rhubarb one too. Which do you think the boys would like better.

I'm taking my coffee out to the deck. I know its not done, but its just so lovely out there today. Does anyone mind if I hang a bird feeder out in that maple? I saw some finches that looked hungry.

wasn't me with the glenfiddich, alix, though i have been witness to some back and forth traffic to the booze cabinet over the weekend. next time, write your name on the bottle, or else leave the cutty sark behind, instead of your glenfiddich.:)

when the workers are gone, the yard in the back is a paradise for a variety of bird species. the cats are sitting in the bay windows, going out of their little kitty minds, intently hunting birds from their side of the glass....

I'm blaming that nasty roofer dude. There are black fingerprints all over the bottle. I'm willing to share but the WHOLE BOTTLE??? Geez.

Its just about time for me to head to work, so I'll leave this pot of stew on the stove and some biscuits ready to go into the oven. Enjoy all!

The roof is complete. Yea! Tomorrow they will nail on the sheathing and start laying brick. The don't have enough brick to go all the way to the top of the second story so the plan is to use siding on the upper half of the building.

What color do you want to paint it? Yellowish brick and white trim. Green shingles.

There will be trades in and out the rest of this week. Plumbers, electricians, etc.

Working on a contract for the finish carpenters. Don't want to ginx it by saying. Just wish me luck.

I have enough flagstone to create a prep and BBQ area near the firepit. But, I don;t think I can get that all done by the weekend.

Back
Top Bottom