"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #311
Executive Chef

potato salad and baked beans are two perfect must-have, much-loved items for our bbq. thank you, pf and bunny. i sent .40 an email re the change of date to saturday, and he is fine with it. men sometimes need to be reminded that food events require some preparation and planning time in order to happen....:)

my contribution to the bbq will be 8 lbs. of pork spareribs, and two large bags of free- range chicken wings. i'm buying, not grilling.:) but let me tell you about the local farm where they raise these chickens and pigs....it goes by the name of "babes in the wood". they are far beyond the usual organic, free range and grass-fed farm environment that we hear about these days. the best, juiciest, richest-flavored pork i've eaten in many years--the way pork USED to taste. the way pork is SUPPOSED to taste, the way it tasted when pork ruled at our house. it's back, folks--at babe's farm! Babe's pigs live in the forest and rolling hills of a 65 acre farm in virginia. the piglets live in the woods from the time of their birth. they live happily unconfined, roaming and foraging for nuts and berries, etc., providing the most rich flavored, meaty textured pork you can imagine. if you wish, you can visit babe's pigs up close and personal, by visiting the farm. i'll pass on that, myself. i don't wish to get that personal with my main course....

i'm so sorry, here i go again, boring you nice folks with my long-winded stories. let me just quickly dispense with this by saying that the chickens are treated with the same care and humanity as the pigs at babe's farm.. only they live in the pastures, rather than in the forest....i can't tell you how thrilled i am to be able to bring babe's meats to our bbq on saturday. you may decide not to go back to supermarket meats after you get a taste of babe's....:)

Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 AM   #312
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Saturday it is and I won't say a word to anyone. It should be a surprise. I'll put some boston butt on the smoker for pulled pork sammies.

It's perfect timing really. The building should be completely dried in and ready for sheetrock by then.

Old 01-30-2013, 09:22 AM   #313
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have the firepit started, it should be ready by then, too. At least to admire, depending on how much time I have to play with it.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:35 AM   #314
Executive Chef

we will be needing a good sized cooking surface for barbecuing our spare ribs and wings on saturday. does the fire pit have a grilling grate insert, or a cooking grill that fits over the top? i'm just asking--we can always bring in a couple of portable grills for the job, if needed...
shall we pitch in for a pony keg for bubba and the guys? or just go with a few suitcases of sodas and canned beer....

truth be told, i'm kinda relieved that bubba let schnieder go. i'm glad to have missed all the brouhaha with the cops and emts the other day. actually, schneider was lucky he wasn't arrested for public drunkeness or something....
Old 01-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #315
Everymom

HEY! Who drank all my whiskey??? I was stocking the bar and brought in some Glenfiddich! BBQ? I can do desserts. How many are we expecting? I'll do some brownies, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and maybe a couple of pies. I've got blueberries in the freezer and I can do an apple or rhubarb one too. Which do you think the boys would like better.

I'm taking my coffee out to the deck. I know its not done, but its just so lovely out there today. Does anyone mind if I hang a bird feeder out in that maple? I saw some finches that looked hungry.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #316
Executive Chef

wasn't me with the glenfiddich, alix, though i have been witness to some back and forth traffic to the booze cabinet over the weekend. next time, write your name on the bottle, or else leave the cutty sark behind, instead of your glenfiddich.:)

when the workers are gone, the yard in the back is a paradise for a variety of bird species. the cats are sitting in the bay windows, going out of their little kitty minds, intently hunting birds from their side of the glass....
Old 01-30-2013, 03:46 PM   #317
Everymom

I'm blaming that nasty roofer dude. There are black fingerprints all over the bottle. I'm willing to share but the WHOLE BOTTLE??? Geez.

Its just about time for me to head to work, so I'll leave this pot of stew on the stove and some biscuits ready to go into the oven. Enjoy all!

Old 01-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #318
Admiral of the Texas Navy

The roof is complete. Yea! Tomorrow they will nail on the sheathing and start laying brick. The don't have enough brick to go all the way to the top of the second story so the plan is to use siding on the upper half of the building.

What color do you want to paint it? Yellowish brick and white trim. Green shingles.

There will be trades in and out the rest of this week. Plumbers, electricians, etc.

Working on a contract for the finish carpenters. Don't want to ginx it by saying. Just wish me luck.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #319
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have enough flagstone to create a prep and BBQ area near the firepit. But, I don;t think I can get that all done by the weekend.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #320
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have enough flagstone to create a prep and BBQ area near the firepit. But, I don;t think I can get that all done by the weekend.

pf, are you seriously planning on laying down flagstone by yourself --is that what you meant by 'playing' with it?

Tags
coffee