"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2013, 07:07 PM   #331
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Thanks, I love stone masonry...any extra suggestions on the cooking end of the patio? Do we want gas and water piped in or leave it rustic with wool/charcoal and tote that water? I can also put in electric...

Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM   #332
Admiral of the Texas Navy

While Bubba and Darrell the middle labor our building is taking shape one brick at a time. The other two Darrell brothers have been putting up siding on the second story.

Electrical and Plumbing work are complete. Code Enforcement will be out tomorrow for inspections.

Provided we pass inspection a crew is scheduled to come out and insulate the building with binary foam. This method will totally seal the air spaces between the studs providing a draft free environment that is also insect resistant.

I had a little surprise when I learned about the two story chimney in the center of the building with openings for fireplaces in four rooms. Two in each story.

Duct work has been put in place for central heat and air. We'll have to take up a collection for the HVAC equipment in the spring. Maybe we can have a garage sale to help raise those funds

Next week, windows, doors and sheetrock I hate sheetrock work...SO MESSY.

I'm still working on the finish carpenter. My bobber is twitching, I'm just waiting for the right moment to set the hook. Payment is a 2 week all expenses paid vacation at the Brenham farm house and a tour of the Texas hill country. This includes Washington on the Brazos, the Independence Trail, Battle of Flowers memorial, The Alamo, Treaty Oak, Texas State Capitol, Sam Houston memorial, and other historical sites from the days of the Texas Republic.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:29 AM   #333
Head Chef

Despite my carping at the number of books, the Friends of the Library had a bang-up sale yesterday so here I am with two more boxes of miscellaneous books to put up. I promise to do them all as soon as I get a shot of caffeine.

G'morning, all.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #334
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Is it morning? Guess I better find some coffee...
Old 02-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #335
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Despite my carping at the number of books, the Friends of the Library had a bang-up sale yesterday so here I am with two more boxes of miscellaneous books to put up. I promise to do them all as soon as I get a shot of caffeine.

G'morning, all.
more books, tin? let's see what you have in there...let me give you a hand with them while my coffee cools down a bit. oh, hehe, i see you already have plenty of help with both kitties going at it!! attacking... what? i think they just want to fight over the box, must be a 'cat thing'-- they leave the best, cushy seats in the house, to spar over this dusty old cardboard box. huh, go figure....

let's let them play awhile, tin. did you hear the exciting news from .40 about the rooms here that have plastered-in fireplaces? apparently, from a central chimney existing from the time of the construction of the original building. can you imagine, tin? even if we don't use them for heating, as actively functioning fireplaces....i can't wait to see the walls torn down to reveal those old fireplaces, hidden from sight for all these years--there's supposed to be four of them! i wonder, have you noticed, tin, is that a brick or a stone chimney, up there on the roof?

have you seen the awesome masonry work done by pf at the back of the house--the splendid fire pit she built? the round, stone-stacked pit is surrounded by the loveliest expanse of field stone, pf's skills...it will make the most perfect evening gathering place for us to relax with our choice of cuppas-- a blazing fire, alive with movement and dancing flames, its mesmerizing powers--melting, softening, entrancing....blissful
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #336
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I decided I wanted water for sure, have the plumbing done...do we want electric? Wood/charcoal or gas for the grill? Hurry, hurry...our BBQ is tomorrow!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #337
Admiral of the Texas Navy

I think we need the electrical out there. I might need to plugin the Traeger.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #338
Executive Chef

i decided to stop by tonight with the bags of chicken wings and spare ribs for tomorrow's bbq. whoever is doing the grilling for this party may want to marinate some of this meat ahead...oh goody, i see somebody already came by and left a big ol' bowl of coleslaw. let me just take a little...oh yeah, that's killer alright, umm!

sure hope .40 has a good scheme for how to get the crew over here tomorrow, being the weekend an' all....
Old 02-01-2013, 11:50 PM   #339
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Electrical...no problem. I'll check and make sure I have the right conduit and get it out tonight, it'll go fast, I'll hook up when it's light out.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 AM   #340
Executive Chef

Say....what time should I have the beans here? I want to keep them hot and they are in my big enamelware roaster. If there ends up being grill space they could stay warm there, otherwise I don't want to get them here too early.

Tags
coffee