"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #341
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I almost have the electric in, we can put out a couple of spare burners or stash it in the fridge and fill up a crockpot.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #342
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
more books, tin? let's see what you have in there...let me give you a hand with them while my coffee cools down a bit. oh, hehe, i see you already have plenty of help with both kitties going at it!! attacking... what? i think they just want to fight over the box, must be a 'cat thing'-- they leave the best, cushy seats in the house, to spar over this dusty old cardboard box. huh, go figure....

let's let them play awhile, tin. did you hear the exciting news from .40 about the rooms here that have plastered-in fireplaces? apparently, from a central chimney existing from the time of the construction of the original building. can you imagine, tin? even if we don't use them for heating, as actively functioning fireplaces....i can't wait to see the walls torn down to reveal those old fireplaces, hidden from sight for all these years--there's supposed to be four of them! i wonder, have you noticed, tin, is that a brick or a stone chimney, up there on the roof?

have you seen the awesome masonry work done by pf at the back of the house--the splendid fire pit she built? the round, stone-stacked pit is surrounded by the loveliest expanse of field stone, pf's skills...it will make the most perfect evening gathering place for us to relax with our choice of cuppas-- a blazing fire, alive with movement and dancing flames, its mesmerizing powers--melting, softening, entrancing....blissful
I love these mixed boxes of old books -- often the most interesting titles that have been sitting on someone's or someone's father's shelf for ages. And you won't find them at Barnes & Noble or even Amazon. Your comments about the cats reminds me of that fat Internet cat that loves to jump into boxes and back out again. :-)

Wouldn't it be swell if while taking out old walls, etc., the guys came across old documents or !!cash!! or the like?

Your picture of that blazing fire was warming just for the reading, Ms. Silvertongue. And think of all the calories PF was able to dispose of while doing that fun firepit project! I envy her.

Do you think it looks like rain for this afternoon's Do? Since we're dried in and all, it won't cancel festivities just maybe slow them down a bit. I sure hope Alix brings something lemony, and lots of it. How about I bring a couple of dozen deviled eggs?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #343
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Lunch is at high noon. I put the boston butt on about 9 o'clock last night. It looks great this morning. Lots of bark. I'll pull it in a couple of hours and mix in the sauce. Should be enough for a couple of bus pans full. Picked up 4 dozen local baked hoagie rolls with sesame seeds.

Who's bringing the cole-slaw?

The new addition is fully wired, plumbed, insulated and all the doors and windows are hung.

You should see the front entry. Curved double doors in an oval vestibule flanked by floor to ceiling stained glass panels.

I told all of the crews to stop by for a special project around noon...wink wink

Old 02-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #344
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Lunch is at high noon. I put the boston butt on about 9 o'clock last night. It looks great this morning. Lots of bark. I'll pull it in a couple of hours and mix in the sauce. Should be enough for a couple of bus pans full. Picked up 4 dozen local baked hoagie rolls with sesame seeds.

Who's bringing the cole-slaw?

The new addition is fully wired, plumbed, insulated and all the doors and windows are hung.

You should see the front entry. Curved double doors in an oval vestibule flanked by floor to ceiling stained glass panels.

I told all of the crews to stop by for a special project around noon...wink wink

I'll bring cole slaw if that's ok I lost a close dear friend wed so haven't been reading here like I should. How about more deviled eggs, and some stuffed celery and Andy M's moms pilar its heaven and I want to help.
ma
Old 02-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #345
Senior Cook

Lately, I 've been lacing my coffee with hot chocolate, half and, half .....so delicious in the snowtimes!

Sure would love one of those eggnog cookies but for my new heart channel, which needs to be kept clear of clogging fats.
Wish there was a fat-declogger one could eat following every meal!

I had an aunt who used to eat a piece of diet fudge (supposed to be a meal-replacer) after every meal, insisting it was doing just that. Maybe for her, it was, cuz she's still going strong though overweight and in her 80's.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 AM   #346
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
Lately, I 've been lacing my coffee with hot chocolate, half and, half .....so delicious in the snowtimes!

Sure would love one of those eggnog cookies but for my new heart channel, which needs to be kept clear of clogging fats.
Wish there was a fat-declogger one could eat following every meal!

I had an aunt who used to eat a piece of diet fudge (supposed to be a meal-replacer) after every meal, insisting it was doing just that. Maybe for her, it was, cuz she's still going strong though overweight and in her 80's.
You might want to investigate the alleged health benefits of cinnamon.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #347
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
You might want to investigate the alleged health benefits of cinnamon.
My son takes cinnamon capsules and finds it lowers blood glucose a lot.
I plan to start on monday.
kades
Old 02-02-2013, 10:00 AM   #348
Executive Chef

wow, look at all the food in this fridge, ah deviled eggs, too.:) won't anybody be going away hungry from this party, no matter how many bubbas and darells show up!
good thing we decided on a keg--saves space in the fridge for more food. i hope we have some bags of ice coming for the drinks--the icemaker won't do us much good today....anyone heard from alix? she's our dessert girl, you know. somebody brought a pan of bakechef's brownies, but they're half-gone already...

i'll be back in a few hours. i have to finish mixing up the pasta salad i decided to make last minute....
Old 02-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #349
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sorry, sorry, I'm late....there was a troll under the bridge and I was up late last night finishing up the BBQ prep and cook area adjacent to the firepit. We still need a Q of some sort to put in there and I had enough flagstone and brick for the pizza oven on the end. Here's my 20 pounds of potato salad.

Well, dig in! don't all just stand around. Party time!
Old 02-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #350
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Sorry, sorry, I'm late....there was a troll under the bridge and I was up late last night finishing up the BBQ prep and cook area adjacent to the firepit. We still need a Q of some sort to put in there and I had enough flagstone and brick for the pizza oven on the end. Here's my 20 pounds of potato salad.

Well, dig in! don't all just stand around. Party time!
Oh gads! I'm late too, but look what I just won! I'm donating it to the patio/pit area. Fi I hope this will just slide into the prep/Q area you prepared.

Name:   image-3009812027.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  34.5 KB

Isn't it bee...oootiful! I'm so excited!!! Man, that pork butt (kind of an oxymoron isn't it? lol!) smells fabulous .40! I'm starving.......
Yum! What great cooks we have here, hope everyone likes baked beans, there's half a lb. of bacon on top and who doesn't love bacon? :)

PS. Thanks for all your hard work Fi, it looks great!

Tags
coffee