"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #361
Everymom

I'm in a soup and biscuits mood. I'll put a pot of beef barley on to simmer while I start refinishing these awesome bookshelves I found at a yard sale. Maple - 8 ft tall 4 ft wide, but they need sanding and staining. I'll be out back if you need me. Where's Bubba working today?

Old 02-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #362
Executive Chef

yoohoo, lexi! aren't you the hard-working girl today! are you celebrating national homemade soup day? is that the reason for you making the big ol' beautiful bubbling pot of soup i just tasted? the flavor is so rich and meaty--you have this whole house smelling just like a popular, upscale french bistro!

that's some lovely solid maple wood you are working on there, alix--nice and heavy, too. did you see the cartons of books left on the front porch again? it's become something of a drop-off site for unwanted books. tin has been working like a busy beaver all last week, trying to keep up with the steady stream of the incomings....you may need to think about slowing or shutting down the continued donation of books too, alix--our volunteers have been dwindling lately, both in numbers and time, you know?

your soup is probably ready to eat. let's fill a couple of mugs, and take them over to your bay window station, right? aww, the kitties have taken over your window seat--they always find the best places to curl up, and a patch of sunshine. happy homemade soup day, lexi....

Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #363
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Bubba and the brothers D are helping the sheetrock crew. Most of the upper story is done. They should be finished floating it out sometime Wednesday.

I've got to go pick up Tim and Al at the airport on Wednesday afternoon. I'll bring them by for a meet and greet.

Somebody asked how I know all these peeps. My cousin Beth Ann twice removed on my mothers side was married to Earnest P. Worrell (know what I mean Vern). After his untimely demise she sort of inherited his position on the Screen Actors Guild governance board. I've meet a bunch of SCAG members over the years. I miss Earnest the most. He was some kind of fun at a BBQ.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 PM   #364
Everymom

Soup is sooooo good! Glad you liked it vit. I made homemade granola today and dinner was pork chops, smashed taters and salad. I just felt like being in the kitchen. I never did get any baking done, but the house smells like granola, so that counts.

I went through some of the books. There is a PILE of old cookbooks. Some are even handwritten. I'm quite excited to try some of those recipes. The bookcases are stained and are drying out on the covered veranda. No chance of precipitation in the forecast tonight.

Did you see the lovely shelves Bubba put in for us?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:17 AM   #365
Executive Chef

that sure is a pretty wall of bookshelves, alix. turns out bubba puts up some real quality work. i think he's got what they call 'natural abilities'--looks can be deceiving, alright. i haven't seen bubba since the bbq--i swear, that boy, every time i saw him saturday, he was fixing himself another "everything plate". i lost count after the fourth one, but he was far from done then, and helpin' himself to the darrell's vittles too!
.40 said tim and al will be flying in here on wednesday. other than that, i can't keep track of what work is going on in this place. i know .40 makes a real effort to keep us advised of every job installment, as well as upcoming events, but most of the time, we get these cryptic notes from him...you can't make hide or hare out of 'em. half the time, i don't know if he's serious or just pullin' my leg about something--he has this peculiar sense of humor about things. i think he likes poking a little fun--putting people on, you know, all the while going off, having a little chuckle to himself....
Old 02-05-2013, 07:31 AM   #366
Head Chef

That is a beautiful set of shelves, guys. Do you suppose Bubba could put one of those little ladders-on-wheels in for us? While some of us could probably reach the top shelves, we need to provide access for anyone who might be height-challenged. I just love to see home libraries, wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling books. Sounds as though we might have a whole wall of cookbooks - quite appropriate for DC. I know I'm not the only one who likes to just read them, if not use them to cook by/from. I'm afraid the computer has usurped that duty.

I've forgotten - do we have a computer desk?
Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 PM   #367
Executive Chef

here kitties, here kitkat, here dommie, oh there you are! have you been good kitties while i was away? yes, yes, i know you're hungry--aren't you always? wait a minute while i fix myself some coffee. gimme a minute, will you --look, you have food in your dishes, what're you cryin' about? i know, i know--you don't like when it turns dry around the edges. here, i'm giving it a stir, there, there--good as new. now what's wrong? what? don't you two beat all! how did you get spoiled so fast! you remember how we saved your furry little butts and whiskers last week? you were sooo happy to leave that old spca, remember that? and now what--friskies not good
enough for you any more? aw, it's done gone and gotten too stale for kitties of your stature, has it? here, here, have a little fresh milk, you two little ingrates! i'm going to relax and have a nice cup of coffee, myself. hmm, i don't see or hear any signs of the workers today...oh, i wonder if al and tim got into town today, as .40 had in his plans....they're probably catching up on old times at some cheers-type pub, trading some tall stories, and bouncing off one another with mischievous fraternity....
Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #368
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I think the kitties are a little miffed 'cause I gave 'em what for. They had been playing with the toilet paper. There was none left on the roll in the washroom. And someone had also attacked the paper towels - I found the roll behind a chair and it had teeth and claw marks.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM   #369
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Tim and Al were stuck in Chicago O'hare for several hours when their connecting flight had mechanical issues. They caught another flight and their plane is still in the air and I'm waiting at the airport for them.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #370
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Vit for lifting my spirits. Delightful. Give those kitties anything they want. If they want to learn how to be spoiled brats, I can send Teddy there for the weekend. He is a master of getting all the attention he wants. Spike thinks he is teaching him who the alpha is. Teddy doesn't think about it. He knows!

Tags
coffee