"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #381
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Well lets see...

Kitchen/Dining room - I can see us having a lovely reno in here. Pass through counter with stools tucked under to be used as a breakfast bar. I'll let you guys discuss the actual dining area. The kitchen needs to have room for at least 3 of us to work. An island with deep pot drawers and a sink is a must. 2 ovens, because you just KNOW its going to be a gathering place for holiday meals and there is nothing worse than trying to juggle all the sides, main and desserts in one dinky oven. I'd love to see sliding doors out to the deck and patio too. That covered deck is so lovely. I was thinking something like this...ffor the outdoor chefs. That fireplace on the left would actually be more like an ooutdoor pizza oven. I think we could incorporate a smoker section in the middle tthere too.

The kitchen, outdoor area (
Did the hot tub ever get finished?) and the library are going to be my primary haunts, but if there are going to be bunches of us around maybe a really big ballroom for parties might be a good idea.

I think the library could be expanded into a couple of rooms too. Its grown exponentially in the last little while. Do you think Tim and Al could do some of those movable rolling bookcases? So they sort of stack on top of one another to conserve space? Then we could convert that room where we've been sorting books into a reading room. Do the fireplace wall in river rock, put in a few more chair groupings and maybe a big squishy couch? We're right next to the kitchen but I don't think it would be out of line to have a counter with all our coffee supplies in here.

What do you think .40? Can the boys do any of that?
I already built that out there...not nice enough?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #382
Admiral of the Texas Navy

They are already on it. We're going to have to make due with a 6 burner Viking range. Double oven model with griddle option.

Walnut veneer Kraftmaid Cabinets are built out for twin french door Samsung refrigerators.

Island counter top with 3" butcher block counter top. Deep cabinets with KA mixer lift device. No more lugging around the mixer.

The far wall has a 96 bottle Vinotemp wine cellar, wet bar, locking liquor cabinet, Keg-R-ator, and Scotsman commercial ice maker.

Tim finished the passive solar water heater today. It's pretty cool. There is a grid of 4" PVC pipes plumbed like a radiator on the south roof. Supply water fills those pipes where it is heated by the sun. That in turn is connected to the conventional water heater. We save energy because the sun heats the water in the pipes and it goes into the heater pre-heated.

Bubba tells me that they plan to build natural stone hearths to heat the dining room and sitting rooms down stairs. Upstairs the study will have a federal style walnut mantel. The other side of the fireplace opens to the recreation room. He is asking for ideas about the theme for that room.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #383
Executive Chef

Ooh ooh! I vote for a 50's style rec room complete with juke box and "Arnold's" style booths. Black and white check floor etc. Yada, Yada Yada! Anybody else ????????
Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #384
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Oops forgot to mention the crew asked that we keep the kitties out of the construction zone. This is for their own safety and Tim's allergies. Tim is all congested and his eyes are barley open. He says to tell you "thag you bery munh"

Old 02-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #385
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I already built that out there...not nice enough?
I thought you built a firepit? I saw the flagstone, didn't realize there was a BBQ etc over there. Sorry!! My bad.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #386
Executive Chef

the kitties are sorry as can be for causing a flare-up of your allergies, tim. they are sick to distraction themselves over this. you should have seen these two, with their heart-wrenching meowing duets and claw-sharpening rituals--- persistent cat-felt exclamations of distress and regret for their fur coat's unintended assault on you.:( they asked that i send you a package of benadryl, and their favorite catnip ball....

coffeemates, i'm asking for someone in our group to take our sweet kitties into their home for a brief visit. please let me know if you are able to give our two cuties a safe place to land for a week or so, while this next leg of construction is going on at the coffeehouse. there is no feasible way to successfully sequester these two kitties in a room or closed-off space in the building. there is no room large enough, no matter how nice, to contain this pair. they would scratch up the doors and door frames, tear the carpeting to shreds, and their incessant cries would drive us all nuts. so, are there any takers? we will supply food and supplies, of course.
Old 02-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #387
Chef Extraordinaire

I will gladly take the kitties and keep them as long as necessary. Teddy loves to play with kittens. My son's cousin by marriage has a cat and he has a blast every morning when Spike takes him to her house. While he is having a cup of coffee, Teddy is busy playing with her cat.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #388
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I will gladly take the kitties and keep them as long as necessary. Teddy loves to play with kittens. My son's cousin by marriage has a cat and he has a blast every morning when Spike takes him to her house. While he is having a cup of coffee, Teddy is busy playing with her cat.
thank you, addie! your place would be splendid for the kits, but what about you? i don't know if you have a realistic picture of this pair as house guests. they are sure to give you a hard time trying to catch a nap, or a peaceful night's sleep. and they will be extra work for you. they run me ragged every day i spend around them at the coffeehouse specially boxxi, with their constant mischief and demands for attention.

that being said, the kitties' suitcase is all packed, and they are ready to go!
they are all yours, addie, if having been warned, you are still game.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 PM   #389
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thank you, addie! your place would be splendid for the kits, but what about you? i don't know if you have a realistic picture of this pair as house guests. they are sure to give you a hard time trying to catch a nap, or a peaceful night's sleep. and they will be extra work for you. they run me ragged every day i spend around them at the coffeehouse specially boxxi, with their constant mischief and demands for attention.

that being said, the kitties' suitcase is all packed, and they are ready to go!
they are all yours, addie, if having been warned, you are still game.
I will be waiting for them to arrive. I can always sleep when they do. Like I did with my babies. Pets keep you young.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:55 PM   #390
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
I thought you built a firepit? I saw the flagstone, didn't realize there was a BBQ etc over there. Sorry!! My bad.
Post #325 shows what I ended up doing...with electric, water and gas.

Tags
coffee