"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #421
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Next time tell the owners to put in a second table. One for the girls and one for the guys. Of course other than you and your sister, all the girls will want to play with the men.
Gosh, that was over 20 years ago...

Old 02-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #422
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
.40, I think we'd better depend on you to do a walk-through with the punch list - make sure the FFE is complete. When you say it's finished, it's finished!

Y'all realize, of course, that many happy homes are going to be disrupted by this place -- who wouldn't want to just pack a bag and spend all their time here?
gosh tin, i certainly hope our shangri-la retreat isn't breaking up marriages or sowing seeds of discontent among our dc members. being single myself, i really can't speak to the possible negative effects of this place on family households....

but, let me tell you some of the ways the dc coffee klatch, (morphed into a gentleman's farm/utopian dream retreat) is already benefiting people like me:

coffee breaks can happen at any moment--tired? job stressed? hungry? need company? relaxation, stimulation, socialization? drop what you are doing, and take the break you need--it's all right here, at your beck and call....

the beauty of being able to abandon one's diet for chocolate croissants, strawberry cheesecake, french fries 'n gravy, anything and everything, and all totally guilt-free!

an apartment dweller (such as myself) can avail oneself of a whole host of luxuries and opportunities at this 'home away from home' that are just not possible in most rental housing environments:

at the 'oasis' pets are allowed--a place to play with the kitties. there is space for gardens--flowers, vegetables, fruit trees if we want...a grilling station for cookouts, firepit, hot tub, fountains and wide porches--none of these things can be found at an apartment community such as mine....

and indoors? just ask .40--from the coffeehouse to the library, the study, rec rooms, industrial kitchen, dining hall/bar, all the creature comforts, modern conveniences, sumptuous furnishings, jukebox room--yes, the music can be played as loud as the woofers and tweeters allow...a walk-in humidor...(a What?!)

so far, tin, i just don't see the downside. not yet i don't....

Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #423
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
...a walk-in humidor...(a What?!)
Sneaky huh! After buying Al a cigar and a scotch, we decided to put the enclosed space under the staircase to good use.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM   #424
Chef Extraordinaire

One more benfit. A live in maid to clean up after all of us. She will be well paid of course. But we will be expected to clean up any little personal mess we might make. We don't want to live like little piggies.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:37 PM   #425
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
One more benfit. A live in maid to clean up after all of us. She will be well paid of course. But we will be expected to clean up any little personal mess we might make. We don't want to live like little piggies.

speaking of piggies, addie, are the kitties making little piggies out of themselves, eating everything in sight? good news. tim has finished early with his work at the 'oasis', and we can take the cats off of your hands as early as tomorrow afternoon. is that a good time for you?
Old 02-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #426
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
speaking of piggies, addie, are the kitties making little piggies out of themselves, eating everything in sight? good news. tim has finished early with his work at the 'oasis', and we can take the cats off of your hands as early as tomorrow afternoon. is that a good time for you?
They eat everything you put in front of them. Even Teddy's food. And he is having a ball playing with them. Wait until you see how much they have grown and how fat little balls of fur they have become.

BTW, I have always wanted to have a pet named Buttons. Can we name one of the kittens Buttons? I am going to miss the little buggers. So if you want them back tomorrow, I guess it will be all right,. (with a tear in the corner of my eye and my head hanging down)
Old 02-11-2013, 11:06 PM   #427
Executive Chef

aw, you'll be seeing your little buggers whenever you come by for your coffees. thank you for putting them up, and for putting up with them and their 'deadly dander'....maybe, if you like, you could become their holiday home, and for when we have tim and al back here again. buttons is a cute name. which one will it be? i don't think they will get officially named, anyway. they get called all different names--and don't come to any of them from what i'm seeing....
Old 02-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #428
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Addie, I have a nursing rocker, the seat is lower, would that be more comfortable for you to sit on? I have a nice seat and back cushion for it.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #429
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
aw, you'll be seeing your little buggers whenever you come by for your coffees. thank you for putting them up, and for putting up with them and their 'deadly dander'....maybe, if you like, you could become their holiday home, and for when we have tim and al back here again. buttons is a cute name. which one will it be? i don't think they will get officially named, anyway. they get called all different names--and don't come to any of them from what i'm seeing....
The little one with the long fur. She looks like she may have some Angora in her. I used Teddy's brush on her while she was sitting on my lap and she loved it. Even fell asleep while purring. I fell in love. Buttons would fit her just fine.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #430
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Addie, I have a nursing rocker, the seat is lower, would that be more comfortable for you to sit on? I have a nice seat and back cushion for it.
PF it is not when I am sitting, but standing or walking too long. I have to sit down to get relief. I had a rocker for all my kids and they all got rocked while I was nursing them. No wonder they were happy babies. We had a rocker in the nursery when I worked at Revere Memorial Hospital.

I could sit all day and my hip and spine are fine. It is when I push myself trying to do more than I should, that the pain starts. It is partly arthritis but mostly circulatory problems. I already have five stents in me. And one is right at the groin where the pain starts. The last time I went to the cath lab, it was mostly for exploratory purposes. That is the second time they went in to take a look to see if there was anything else they could do. They can't. Getting old is really hard work. Thank you for the thought. It seems that I have been in that OR more times than I can count. Everytime I go and they start to tell me what is going to happen, I tell them, yeh, yeh, yeh. Save yoru breath. Been there, done that. Just put me to sleep and if I don't make it, just take my organs before I leave the room. The fresher they are, the more successful the transplant.

Tags
coffee