"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #441
Everymom

I'm just on my way out now vitauta. I'm starved! I'll swing by afterward and write down what we ate.

BTW, you freaked me out just a bit because I am indeed wearing kicky boots!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #442
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
.40, people coming through here, they're like tourists with cameras, all of 'em love what's been done to this place. they say you are a genius builder-architect, and a few are asking if you are taking on new clients. are you? if you want, you can leave some of your business cards here at the cafe....

addie has brought to our attention the need for a housekeeper. you have all these connections, .40....we do have some special needs for a worker here though, and finances are sketchy as ever....somebody can write up a want-ad with requirements for the position this week, but the main qualities we are looking for are a reliable, hard working neatnick, a foodie type, with great cooking and baking skills, good organizing and managing skills. oh, i'm not at all good at this....

that's all i can think of, right now, .40. i'll try to get pf or alix to draw up a formal job description for you, if you think you can help us find our housekeeper.as i see it, room and board will be the primary attraction for this position.....
I'll have to pass on the general contractor work. I've got all I can handle and more but thank you for thinking of me.

I know Rosie Jetson is available.... Let me know if you would like me to make inquiries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roise_jetson.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	17115  

Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #443
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think Rosie is a brilliant choice!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:20 AM   #444

AT&T will be out today. They are going to terminate the fiber optic connection to the internet. We built in a WiFi network with repeaters in every room and even some outside on the verandas. You should get a strong signal anywhere you go.

SSID is CoffeeHouse
Pass is Il0v3Cig@rs

It's good to be the administrator!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #445
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

"I love cigars????"
Old 02-13-2013, 09:42 AM   #446
Executive Chef

"a woman is just a woman, a good cigar is a smoke."
rudyard kipling

a correlation between cigar smoking men and incidences of misogyny?
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #447

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
"a woman is just a woman, a good cigar is a smoke."
rudyard kipling

a correlation between cigar smoking men and incidences of misogyny?
I think it would be fair to say that cigars are still a male oriented avocation. Even in these enlightened times the ratio is easily 10000:1 but we are making progress.

Can't speak for Rudyard, different times and different culture. On the other hand....

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

"Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Old 02-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #448
Everymom

I am trying very hard to refrain from any references to a certain former president and his rather famous indiscretion with a cigar.

On another note, I brought in a new Keurig for the coffee area. The old one was starting to make a weird grindy noise when it brewed. I also got a new selection of flavors for those of us with that inclination. I also brought in some Fog Chasers and some of the Starbucks brews for the other folks. I got us: Creme Caramel, Southern Pecan, Belgian Chocolate, Vanilla Biscotti and Jamaican Me Crazy.

I'm off to sort through some boxes of books with a Creme Caramel. I'll be in the library if anyone needs me.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #449
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I think it would be fair to say that cigars are still a male oriented avocation. Even in these enlightened times the ratio is easily 10000:1 but we are making progress.

Can't speak for Rudyard, different times and different culture. On the other hand....

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

"Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

i'll gladly leave to the men their cigar smoking avocation. to me, progress would be if the ratio of men to women smoking cigars was 1 million:0. i promise that i'm not one of those insufferable people who preach and nag at smokers, having quit the habit herself. suffice it to say that we'd all be better off if no one smoked anything.

here are a few more cigar quotes, mostly from authors of the 19th century:
(some things don't change all that much with time)

mark twain said, "if i cannot smoke in heaven, then i shall not go."

"there are two things a man never forgets--his first love and his first cigar."
anon.

horace greely said, "a cigar has a fire at one end and a fool at the other."

groucho marx said, "given the choice between a woman and a cigar, i will always choose the cigar."

richard carleton: "i am sure there are many things better than a good cigar, but right now i can't think of what they might be."

vitauta says, "if you can't beat 'em, build a walk-in humidor."

peace out, .40.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #450
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

However, I will be carrying my bottle of Febreeze...the smell of cigarette and cigar smoke makes me want one.

Tags
coffee