DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Guys! Long time no see...I don't think of wandering back here too often. In fact, practically never. And it's so relaxing at this little "clubhouse". Especially since I brought along my nightly glass of vino.:yum: Although tea is very good too. Alix, if you'd like I can bring a couple of my favorites to share. I really like Harney Tea and have a number of them in looseleaf. I'll bring a couple of my extra tea steepers too.

Addie, glad to hear the medicine helped you feel better. As they say: Better living through chemistry. ;)

don't you hate the way those 'grumps' make you feel? it's not so bad if you can let it blow over quickly. i wish i was wired that way. instead, i tend to 'stew' over every little spat for way too long...

Watch yourself with holding onto the grumpies vit. Last week Himself and I had a fight. Well, truth be told, it wasn't a fight since he pretty much ignored my tirade. :LOL: Stupid stuff, which is what I blow up over best. Right after I was done yelling I thought "I'd better check my blood pressure". Whoa! 238/106! Breathed deep, decided to relax, and a minute later I was back to 128/78. Decided right then and there no matter how mad you can get, it isn't worth stroking over. Himself is happier too since I'm relearning to ask nicely instead of yell. :)

That's one thing I refuse to do, yell. I have to admit me with with hubby is a lot better that way. We have been together since Dec 1997 & we have only had one fight which included yelling. I had to fight most of my life and I'm done with it and my life has improved greatly because of it. That doesn't mean we agree on everything and that we don't get upset with each other but we talk about it and then we move past it.

Well I have to work tonight and tomorrow night then I have 3 days off. The temps outside are perfect and I'm half tempted to take off tonight. I'm sitting outside waking up watching the 3 pups enjoy lounging in the sun and I can't think of anything better then doing this all day but I know myself, I'll be in my car at 3:30 doing my drive.

Good afternoon everyone. I am sort of upset with myself. I had an appointment this morning with the vascular lab and completely forgot about it. But when I started to think about it, I still have a touch of pleurisy in my left lung and would have been in a lot of pain laying there for the test. It takes about an hour. I am feeling much better today though. I just took another Vicodin. I don't want the pain to get the best of me again.

I prepared all the meats for the freezer today. I bought some country style ribs. They have almost no bones and were individually very large. Almost a pork chop. So I pack them individually. More than enough for one meal for me. Normally I would have packed two together. Using the Food Saver bags, it turned out to be very expensive. Those bags are not cheap. The next time I have to place an order, I will shop around first. I made the mistake of ordering them directly from FS. I wish they were sold in stores. Then I found a hidden roll that I could make my own bags for the Italian sausages. Just enough on the roll for two of them together. But there is so much waste to that method. Well I now have enough meat for the next six months. But I just tossed everything into the freezer. When I feel better I will get in there and neaten it all up.

I am going to take a nap. Fighting pain is hard work. :angel:

That's one thing I refuse to do, yell. I have to admit me with with hubby is a lot better that way. We have been together since Dec 1997 & we have only had one fight which included yelling. I had to fight most of my life and I'm done with it and my life has improved greatly because of it. That doesn't mean we agree on everything and that we don't get upset with each other but we talk about it and then we move past it.

Well I have to work tonight and tomorrow night then I have 3 days off. The temps outside are perfect and I'm half tempted to take off tonight. I'm sitting outside waking up watching the 3 pups enjoy lounging in the sun and I can't think of anything better then doing this all day but I know myself, I'll be in my car at 3:30 doing my drive.

matey, you and the pups basking in the sun--that's a tough one to tear yourself away from, on a sun-filled day...especially to go to work....
if you have a similar set of circumstances tomorrow again, you have my permission to ditch work. then, you will have four whole days off from work!
actually, matey, i'm here to ask, how is a person who grows up in a household where fighting is the everyday 'norm' able to turn that around 180 degrees? how does she begin 'talking things through' without the shouting and yelling which was her lifelong communications model up until then?

matey, you and the pups basking in the sun--that's a tough one to tear yourself away from, on a sun-filled day...especially to go to work....
if you have a similar set of circumstances tomorrow again, you have my permission to ditch work. then, you will have four whole days off from work!
actually, matey, i'm here to ask, how is a person who grows up in a household where fighting is the everyday 'norm' able to turn that around 180 degrees? how does she begin 'talking things through' without the shouting and yelling which was her lifelong communications model up until then?

I have never been one to argue and yell. I just stand there and look at the other person while they are yelling. Then I walk away. You can't argue with just yourself. When the other person calms down, then I will talk to them. Eventually they get the message. No yelling. I don't respond. The last time I yelled at someone was a resident in this building. A known troublemaker. I did something that everyone who has ever lived here wished they had the courage to do. I put her in her place once and for all. That was last year. There hasn't been one problem with her since. And now when she sees me she is so polite that it must be killing her. Not one other person here has had a problem with her since either. I got so angry with her that I almost hit her. Some of the ladies had to pull me back. I was across the table from her and when I started to lean over the table and right in her face, you saw real fear. And yes, I would do it again. But I don't recommend it. Fighting solved my problem at that moment.

When you constantly hear yelling, you shut it out. And the other person does the same thing when you are the yeller. So you are wasting your breath and energy. Your message is not being heard. The other person is just thinking, "will he/she ever shut up?"

I just may leave early on Thursday morning. Maybe 3 AM so I can be up by nine and start prepping for my picnic on Saturday.

When I met my husband I knew my life wasn't going anywhere and if things didn't change I knew I wouldn't live very much longer going the way it was so I just threw up my arms and decided to allow him to guide me into a better life. He's very subdue and I was very outgoing g so I just began to follow his lead and left most decisions up to him because I just knew I found a good guy for once and I knew I didn't want to lose him.

Whoo. That was a long two days. I really get tired out doing that short change. I'm enjoying the beautiful weather today and now that I've inhaled all the ribs and rice I can hold, I'm about ready for a nap.

As for tea, I'm currently very fond of a couple of David's Teas. We've been drinking a lot of Red Velvet Cake tea, and I've also taken a shine to Bravissima tea as well. Mmmmmmmmm! I got a lovely tea sampler for my birthday from my good friend.

I just may leave early on Thursday morning. Maybe 3 AM so I can be up by nine and start prepping for my picnic on Saturday.

When I met my husband I knew my life wasn't going anywhere and if things didn't change I knew I wouldn't live very much longer going the way it was so I just threw up my arms and decided to allow him to guide me into a better life. He's very subdue and I was very outgoing g so I just began to follow his lead and left most decisions up to him because I just knew I found a good guy for once and I knew I didn't want to lose him.

matey, you are lucky to have found a man such as your husband. in turn,he is lucky to have someone like you, to help bring out his social side....

All of this talk about fighting with your spouse got me thinking. I cannot remember the last time Hubby and I had a fight. I guess that is a good thing! :) when we were first married, and would have a disagreement, I would yell, and he would clam right up and walk away. Wow, that didn't work well at all! After almost 33 years, we have both changed to be more like the other, but not to that extreme. I hold my tongue (this took a lot of praying to be able to do), and he will stay and listen when I am more reasonable. When he gets upset, instead of walking away and avoiding things, he will talk about it. Now we are able to work things out much better, but like I said, we don't seem to have arguments any more.

Oh, I see that the tea kettle is on, and that there is some tea. Anyone else want some?...................

Thanks for starting the kettle chops! I thought I'd drop off some mini scones I made today. I have Nordicware scone pans, two full-size scones and two minis. I like making the smaller ones not because I'm trying to save calories but because I can have one of each if I can't make up my mind!

There are some with slivered almonds, chocolate chips, and unsweetened coconut flakes - BIG flakes! The other side has some of Himself's favorites: mini-chocolate chip orange. Instead of heavy cream ('cept I'll use half and half with no real difference) I use orange juice. You also add some orange zest when you put the chocolate chips in. Oh! I just realized I made both with chocolate. :ermm: I sure hope no one is allergic...

Now that I've got my plate down I'm going to pour myself water for tea. ;)

I know I don't stick around to sit and have tea. Mostly to check on the kitties and make sure the house elves aren't overfeeding them again. And sometimes when I see that they are being a tad slack, I will do some of the dusting. Now that the nice weather is here again, I have to make time to just sit out on the deck and enjoy a nice big cuppa. As Kylie and some of our friends across the pond might say. I still have a tiny spot of pleurisy that is getting smaller and smaller each day. It should be completely gone by tomorrow. In the meantime, It is go back and lie down whenever I feel a twinge of pain. And I am headed right there now.

Kitties are looking just fine. They both were rubbing against my legs as soon as I showed up. Heavens I miss them so much. :angel:

Glad you were able to stop and have some tea CG. I wish I could have more of your treats, but I am trying to get rid of some weight. So glad you brought mini scones, so I had a coconut one. :yum: I did really well for a while and then I gained a couple of pounds back. Now this week I am down two pounds again so I seem to be back on track. Overall I am still 16 pounds lighter than I was when I started, so all is well. I have work to do, and it sounds like you are already cleaning that bathroom. I will catch you later. And...yes I turned off the kettle.:)

Addie,
I hope you feel better really soon. Have a nice rest.

Addie, can you come dust my place? I'm so sick of wiping up all the stupid pine pollen that has been blowing in I could scream!

Oooooo! Scones! Yummers. I'm really hungry so I'll try not to scarf too many before dinner. Just sitting down with a cup of tea and watching the dog lick out a peanut butter jar.

Thanks for starting the kettle chops! I thought I'd drop off some mini scones I made today. I have Nordicware scone pans, two full-size scones and two minis. I like making the smaller ones not because I'm trying to save calories but because I can have one of each if I can't make up my mind!

There are some with slivered almonds, chocolate chips, and unsweetened coconut flakes - BIG flakes! The other side has some of Himself's favorites: mini-chocolate chip orange. Instead of heavy cream ('cept I'll use half and half with no real difference) I use orange juice. You also add some orange zest when you put the chocolate chips in. Oh! I just realized I made both with chocolate. :ermm: I sure hope no one is allergic...

Now that I've got my plate down I'm going to pour myself water for tea. ;)

oh cg, scones! i do love my scones ever so much! pf got us started back on them a while ago. i still use her ka scones recipe to make mine, and add whatever fruit strikes my fancy....yours are cute little things, cg. i could eat a pocketful of them.:)

i'll have my scones with a nice strong brew--coffee, that is. and black. what, is this place turning into a tea party today?...cg, i was walkin' around here wondering to myself 'what the Hell are kettle chops?!' i'm thinkin' some kind of pork chops, maybe...finally, it dawns on me, cg is talking to choppers, about heating up the damn tea kettle!!:)

Last edited:
Hahahahahaha!!! Its too late in the day for coffee for me. I like a cuppa before dinner, and after too. Oh hell, I love it anytime!

hey, no fair! they have put that new baking show, with jeff foxworthy, up against masterchef! pitting two cooking shows at the same time seems to me unsporting. there is a vast wasteland of tv time slots available with nothing worth watching on them, as always. tonight i'm staying with the american baking competition, see where this new show is headed....

....cg, i was walkin' around here wondering to myself 'what the Hell are kettle chops?!' i'm thinkin' some kind of pork chops, maybe...finally, it dawns on me, cg is talking to choppers, about heating up the damn tea kettle!!:)

:LOL: :LOL: Maybe chops that pac will try smoking on a Weber grill? ;)

hey, no fair! they have put that new baking show, with jeff foxworthy, up against masterchef! pitting two cooking shows at the same time seems to me unsporting. there is a vast wasteland of tv time slots available with nothing worth watching on them, as always. tonight i'm staying with the american baking competition, see where this new show is headed....

Ah, but those two shows are on two different networks. Divide the audiences and conquer the ratings. If you don't have a DVR you can probably catch one of those shows on their networks' website.

I'd love to watch both too....I agree, Vit, they need to break them up! Watching MC.

I'll have a cup of Vitamin C(offee) and a plate of Vitamin C(hocolate)...I'm missing a Vitamin C...oh that's right I quit smoking...2 and a half years!!!!!

I think I'll make some strawberry-rhubarb scones and some lemon iced pecan scones. I've been mixing them up at night, baking in the morning to warm up the kitchen and have a couple to take to work for our mid-morning break.

Off to work for my victims patients...if Medicare goes down the toilet, I'll be out of a job...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom