"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #661
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,308
Glad you are feeling better Alix!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 AM   #662
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Thanks for the TLC vitauta. I needed that. And wonton soup was just the ticket. I'm feeling a bit more human now.
aw babygirl, i only belatedly learned the reason for you feeling so down and sad... i'm so sorry about the death of your student. knowing you, alix, you are taking this straight in the gut.(small smile) this is your reward for being the loving, deeply caring person you are. allow yourself some comfort in knowing that you brightened and enriched this boy's life by being in it, and letting him know and feel your affection and regard for him. let time do its gradual work of wearing down the sharp edges of your grief, dear friend. i offer you hugs for now, and more to take with you, all you want and need, along with my pathetic and useless empathy....

alix, know that you have a profound effect, every day, on the kids you work with, that you make a huge difference in the quality of their lives and futures. let that knowledge help you to carry on with your significant purpose....
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 AM   #663
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
aw babygirl, i only belatedly learned the reason for you feeling so down and sad... i'm so sorry about the death of your student. knowing you, alix, you are taking this straight in the gut.(small smile) this is your reward for being the loving, deeply caring person you are. allow yourself some comfort in knowing that you brightened and enriched this boy's life by being in it, and letting him know and feel your affection and regard for him. let time do its gradual work of wearing down the sharp edges of your grief, dear friend. i offer you hugs for now, and more to take with you, all you want and need, along with my pathetic and useless empathy....

alix, know that you have a profound effect, every day, on the kids you work with, that you make a huge difference in the quality of their lives and futures. let that knowledge help you to carry on with your significant purpose....
What Vit said and more (((hugs))).

Vit, you really have collected wisdom. This post is like a shining star.

"...let time do its gradual work of wearing down the sharp edges of your grief..."

I'm going to put that one in my file of quotes. I don't want to forget it. I want to use it.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #664
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I'm on my second café allongé. I'm still trying to wake up enough to get to work with the tax returns.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #665
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I'm on my second café allongé. I'm still trying to wake up enough to get to work with the tax returns.

taxy, i hope your super intense work season is close to ending. it is such an incredibly stressful time of year for you. one good thing though, taxy, i notice that you have not had the need to go mia from dc this year during this time. in fact, i get the impression that you come to dc for breaks from work, for laughs, distraction, and to decompress. pretty much the way some of us use our coffee klatch--a place to relax, refuel and restore--over a cuppa great coffee, with good friends or in simple solitude....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #666
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
taxy, i hope your super intense work season is close to ending. it is such an incredibly stressful time of year for you. one good thing though, taxy, i notice that you have not had the need to go mia from dc this year during this time. in fact, i get the impression that you come to dc for breaks from work, for laughs, distraction, and to decompress. pretty much the way some of us use our coffee klatch--a place to relax, refuel and restore--over a cuppa great coffee, with good friends or in simple solitude....
Yeah, the personal tax deadline is 30 April.

I am slowing down my tax practice. I am only keeping the clients I like. One unpleasant client phoned and asked if I was still doing taxes. I said I was cutting back, so would she please find someone else. "Well, thanks [in very sarcastic tone of voice]." and slammed down the phone. Thank you honey, for reminding me why I don't want you as a client.

So, that's part of the reason I have been spending more time on DC. I really should have been spending more time on the tax returns. Now I'm going to have to play catch up.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #667
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,086
For the residents of Boston, (maybe the whole Commonwealth) we have been given an additional three months to file our taxes because of the events that took place on Marathon Monday.

Andy or any other resident of the state, do you have any additional info?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #668
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Relay (And Friends) Recipes: Arugula & Brie Homemade Pizza | Relay Living

these pizza toppings are so dope....my next pizza--i even have the pine nuts!:) may need to add some mushrooms and onion too....
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #669
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Thanks PF. Vitauta, that was so beautiful, thank you. I'm doing better now, and the funeral is on Tuesday. That should bring some closure to us all. They've finally told us that is was likely a heart issue.

Taxlady, thanks to you too. I sure appreciate the support you have all offered me. I'm hoping you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel with taxes.

I'm sitting down with a cup of butterscotch coffee. The day has been warm and beautiful and it feels like spring.
__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #670
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,308
Toddling off to bed...tomorrow is Friday...we have had 12 admits so far this week...while we needed them, they all came in bunches and we are going to be slammed repeatedly next week.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coffee

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.