"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #61
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, I just got back from a spree at the used book store. Surprise surprise, no Lee Child books there. Stupid movie! I'm trying to keep myself from diving in head first. Just going to go spread them out on the bed and decide what order to read them in. WOOHOO!!
book shopping is one of the most satisfying buying sprees there can be, for me! it is such a rich feeling to have my arms full, or bags, heavy with books from the used book store. you were looking for lee child books, alix? i like child about as much as i like tom cruise--you can have 'em both!!:)

you did peak my interest with your belgian chocolate coffee, though, alix. i'll have to look for some of that. danish butter cookies sound divine too. a perfect counterpoint to my strong, hot black coffee.:) nobody in the world makes butter cookies like the danes!! they positively melt in your mouth, right while you are busy marveling at their sweet richness. i only ever get to have them around christmastime though....

Old 01-05-2013, 04:39 PM   #62
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just reached into the Death Star cookie jar and pulled out another Dark Magic...

Old 01-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #63
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
eeww tin, morbid...that's morbid! but, if morbid is the only way to trick yourself into spending a little money on you, for nice things to make life more enjoyable... and, i'm really not one to talk, either. i will spend money i don't have on my girl and grandkids, but not for myself. like you, tin, i guess i'm simply not 'worthy' of good treatment.

the only reason i have a keurig coffeemaker and an ereader today, is that i bought these things for my mom. and when mom croaked a year ago at christmas, i got to keep these nice things for myself. i wish now i had gotten her a porsche. see tin? morbid....

i didn't become a coffee fiend until after i brought home the keurig. for two years, i was drinking a cup of instant coffee every morning just to keep mom company. i could see that she really enjoyed her coffee, though, so i decided to turn her on to 'good' coffee, and the rest is history... before long, we were making lists of favorite coffee flavors,( and least favorites), and brewing up a cuppa java anytime either of us had the inclination. adding our choice of 'go with' snacks to the keurig experience....

go for it, tin....
I know, I know, YOLO. But I'm still kinda in shock from having caved to the kids and replaced my dinosaur TV with a flat screen at Christmastime. The ereader, mmm, don't know so much about that. But I'm sure I really need another vice.

Coffee fiend -- that has a nice ring to it. And the company being kept here is numero uno.

You folks all prefer home-brewed to those Starbuck places? I've never been inside a Starbucks and surely hope this doesn't all lead to that!
Old 01-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #64
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I used to hang out at coffee bars...but it was way too expensive. Makes 60 cents a cup seem cheap considering what I used to pay for a coffee.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #65
Everymom

Quote:
book shopping is one of the most satisfying buying sprees there can be, for me! it is such a rich feeling to have my arms full, or bags, heavy with books from the used book store. you were looking for lee child books, alix? i like child about as much as i like tom cruise--you can have 'em both!!:)
I wasn't looking for anything in particular. I didn't much enjoy the first Lee Child I read, but at the prompting of my brother, I picked up Die Trying and was hooked. It had a very strong female character as counterpoint to Reacher and that sucked me in. Loved it. SPOILER ALERT!!! I especially loved that they didn't end up together at the end of the book, but that she ended up with another FBI guy she'd been in love with for ages. I ended up getting a couple of Kelley Armstrong's and a couple of Dean Koontz and a Harlan Coben that I somehow missed along the way! My daughter picked up quite a few as well and I'll be borrowing a couple of hers when she is done with them.

I'm glad to have been an inspiration in your coffee buying! There are some lovely flavours out there. Dessert in a cup...NO CALORIES!!! How can that be bad for you?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sorry folks. But I HAVE to leave you. The kitchen is calling me. It is a mess right now and needs to be cleaned up. will be back. And I have to call my daughter.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #67
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I know, I know, YOLO. But I'm still kinda in shock from having caved to the kids and replaced my dinosaur TV with a flat screen at Christmastime. The ereader, mmm, don't know so much about that. But I'm sure I really need another vice.

Coffee fiend -- that has a nice ring to it. And the company being kept here is numero uno.

You folks all prefer home-brewed to those Starbuck places? I've never been inside a Starbucks and surely hope this doesn't all lead to that!
so, tin, how are you feeling about your flat screen tv, do you not like it? what is the screen size? i am one person, living with three tv sets in the apartment, each one at least 15 years of age, probably weighing something in excess of fifty pounds apiece. talk about dinosaurs.:) between the keurig and the tvs, i derive more pleasure from my coffeemaker--hands down, no contest.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:25 PM   #68
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
so good that you are feeling better, kades, and that you are here. i love it, kades, that not only do you bring your lovely social graces to our coffee klatch, but major appliances too! i love that fridge! where did you find it? oooh, and ICE! it has an ice maker, oh wow, you shouldn't have, kades...but i'm/we're glad you did! who wants their coffee iced?

so, you say you are ready to dance, kades? anybody up for doing a little gangum style? or shall we maybe start a bit slower maybe, with the bunny hop? where the heck IS somebunny, anyhow....

somebody tell somebunny she doesn't HAVE to drink coffee to spend time with us here.:)
Ooh ice. Then we can have ice café au lait when it gets warm.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #69
Executive Chef

Received the Dexter butcher knife that I mentioned a fw days ago. It was wicked sharp 'out of the box'. It's a stain resistant high carbon steel called Dexsteel. It cost me $2 more than the srainless steel version.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:52 PM   #70
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Ooh ice. Then we can have ice café au lait when it gets warm.

bien sur! :)

Tags
coffee