"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #71
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Received the Dexter butcher knife that I mentioned a fw days ago. It was wicked sharp 'out of the box'. It's a stain resistant high carbon steel called Dexsteel. It cost me $2 more than the srainless steel version.

will the dexter butcher knife stay sharp longer than the ss one?

1. how do you test a 'wicked sharp' knife

2. how many knives do you require in the kitchen

3. how many good knives do you own

Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #72
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post

so good that you are feeling better, kades, and that you are here. i love it, kades, that not only do you bring your lovely social graces to our coffee klatch, but major appliances too! i love that fridge! where did you find it? oooh, and ICE! it has an ice maker, oh wow, you shouldn't have, kades...but i'm/we're glad you did! who wants their coffee iced?

so, you say you are ready to dance, kades? anybody up for doing a little gangum style? or shall we maybe start a bit slower maybe, with the bunny hop? where the heck IS somebunny, anyhow....

somebody tell somebunny she doesn't HAVE to drink coffee to spend time with us here.:)
Hey! I'm here Vit and I love my coffee! I will pop in once in a while for a French or Italian roast cuppa ;-)

Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #73
Head Chef

Quote:
so, tin, how are you feeling about your flat screen tv, do you not like it? what is the screen size? i am one person, living with three tv sets in the apartment, each one at least 15 years of age, probably weighing something in excess of fifty pounds apiece. talk about dinosaurs.:) between the keurig and the tvs, i derive more pleasure from my coffeemaker--hands down, no contest.
Yes, I like the big TV - it's a 40" which is plenty big for my living room. Right now in the player is a travel-type DVD on the parks out west, Zion, Glacier and Bryce. That outghta be really pretty. I don't think it makes much difference with movie-type movies - it doesn't seem to enhance a bad story.

Note to self: Google Keurig on Amazon.

Really - don't you feel like you're talking nonsense with sentences like this? As though Lewis Carroll made it up - 'twas brillig, etc.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Hey! I'm here Vit and I love my coffee! I will pop in once in a while for a French or Italian roast cuppa ;-)
Hi SB! Glad you could make it. You'll have to bring your own coffee or borrow some from someone here if I am going to make you a French or Italian roast espresso - far too dark for my taste. But I'd love to make you a nice espresso.

Just made my first cup of espresso allongé. I'll have that and see if anyone drops by here. Got a lot of cleaning and some prep to do. I've got friends coming over for cocktails and dinner.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post

Note to self: Google Keurig on Amazon.

Really - don't you feel like you're talking nonsense with sentences like this? As though Lewis Carroll made it up - 'twas brillig, etc.
I was thinking that and then I read your Lewis Carroll description. Love it.

G' morning Lizzie.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 AM   #76
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was thinking that and then I read your Lewis Carroll description. Love it.

G' morning Lizzie.
Hey, tax. I'm just back from reading through the Keurig thread Pacanis started. Geez. Since I must confess to being both cheap (special cups??) and lazy (a website on how to clean it??) and not particularly a fan of the taste -- I was a tea-drinker for 20 years -- AND that I can come here even if I drink (shhhh) instant coffee, I'm rethinking the actual purchase of a brewer. Maybe I should save my money to invest in a Kitchen Aid mixer. That's kinda like Sarah Lee's old jingle, "nobody doesn't like" KA mixers, do they?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #77
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hey, tax. I'm just back from reading through the Keurig thread Pacanis started. Geez. Since I must confess to being both cheap (special cups??) and lazy (a website on how to clean it??) and not particularly a fan of the taste -- I was a tea-drinker for 20 years -- AND that I can come here even if I drink (shhhh) instant coffee, I'm rethinking the actual purchase of a brewer. Maybe I should save my money to invest in a Kitchen Aid mixer. That's kinda like Sarah Lee's old jingle, "nobody doesn't like" KA mixers, do they?
Which one do you have space for on your counter?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #78
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
If I had to make a choice between a KA mixer and a one cup coffee maker, I'd choose the mixer!

I could totally deal with Nescafe Classico as an instant if I had to. It isn't terrible and I kind of like it! I keep it around for baking, but every once in a while if I run out of pods, I'll make a cup of this stuff.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:17 AM   #79
Executive Chef

Quote:
will the dexter butcher knife stay sharp longer than the ss one?

1. how do you test a 'wicked sharp' knife

2. how many knives do you require in the kitchen

3. how many good knives do you own
Perhaps but, more importantly, it should be easier to sharpen.

1. -With minimal pressure the knife cuts through 6 layers of cocktail napkin
2. -about 6 for me and 6 for the wife*
3. -over a dozen

*Paring
Bird's Beak
Utility / petty
Cooks
Bread
Slicer
Butcher
Santoku
Heavy cleaver
Boning
Meat saw
Dough
Fillet
Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #80
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Roasted a pound of beans this morning.

This week for Chemex pour over, 1/2 pound of Brazil Fazenda do Sertao Catuai. A farm-direct crop that won "Cup of Excellence". This coffee has placed 8 times in the Cup of Excellence. Roasted to just into City/City+ this "blonde" lighter roast has strong toasted almond-hazelnut aspect and an interesting malty grain sweet note with a cedar hint. About 13.3 minutes at 465.

For esspresso, 1/2 pound of Sweet Maria's "Liquid Amber" a blend of green coffee beans designed to produce copious amounts of crema. Described as "a secret blend of 5 coffees including Dry-processed, Wet-processed, and Monsooned coffees and a small quantity of Robusta. It is characterized by a thick and creamy mouthfeel with a sharp pungent bite that is not bitter then fades into a rich tobacco, milk chocolate aftertaste". Roasted into Full City/FC+. About 13.9 minutes at 482 starting with a warm roaster.

Tags
coffee