"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2013, 12:42 AM   #861
Executive Chef

okay, then: fave comedian/comedienne

alltime, contemporary, classic, stand-up, blue....???

Old 05-23-2013, 03:22 AM   #862
Master Chef

Don't even have to think about that one. The Cos, hands down! First real boyfriend (you know, one with a car ) took me to a Bill Cosby show over 40 years ago. Liked Cosby before the show, but have loved him ever since.

"Snakes???" ~~~~~~~ Or "...give us that chocolate cake".

Old 05-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #863
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Cos does it for me, so do so many others, Hudson and Landry, Carlin, Python (of course), The Smothers Brothers, the list goes on and on...
Old 05-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #864
Executive Chef

I agree on the Cos ... very entertaining !

I also love Jeff Dunham and all his "friends" ... sides hurt from laughing after watching him.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #865
Executive Chef

which comedians just don't tickle your funny bone?

for me, it is comics like rodney dangerfield, don rickles, buddy hackett, tom arnold, and jerry lewis.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #866
Master Chef

I'm with you on most of those vit (got a soft spot for Bob Hope since he's a Clevelander like me) because they seem more angry than funny. Back in my single days I took one psychology class, so I subscribed to Psychology Today and...became an expert on everything! Seriously though, one article explored a study of two groups of strangers who listened to recorded comedy. The groups that were in the room with Bill Cosby playing all responded and iinteracted, acting almost like a group of friends. The people listening to the Don Rickles record acted uneasy, almost as if they were embarrassed to be there. Not saying there aren't people who can laugh at Rickles and the like in a concert hall, but the study showed you have to have a special feel for that kind of humor to enjoy it.

BTW, I remember really enjoying Victor Borge when I was growing up - joking while playing piano. And I had a special liking for Alan King because he mangled words just like my Dad!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #867
Executive Chef

oh goddess, I love to watch victor borge too. I spent 3 hours w/him on youtube a few sundays ago. I love alan king and sid ceasar for the same reason--language. it's funny....

i'm not at all put off by angry comedians, that's not it.
some of my favorites are: lenny bruce, Richard prior, George carlin, sarah silverstien, c.k.louis, bill maher, felipe esperanza and Chelsea handler.

but it's not enough just to be angry, insulting and sarcastic. for that reason i'm not crazy about the humor of Kathy griffin or joan rivers.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #868
Chef Extraordinaire

I remember Sam Levinson. He appeared often on the Ed Sullivan show. His humor was told as a story. It often revolved around his childhood. He also had a lot of good stories of the old ladies in Florida. And his stories were clean, like Danny Thomas's. No dirty language, no hurt feeling for the person who was the butt of the joke. Most of the really good comedians told jokes on themselves. Predicaments that they got themselves into. I loved Phyllis Diller. Poor Fang. She also made herself the butt of her jokes. Did you know she was an accomplished concert pianist?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #869
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A few years ago I fell in love with Mitch Hedberg. Love his quirkiness, and he worked clean, for the most part. Then I found out he'd died of an OD.

Loved Victor Borge's punctuating!

Cannot stand Andrew Dice Clay. :yuck:
Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 AM   #870
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Vit, I agree with you about all the comedians you listed whose names I recognize with the exception of Bob Hope. He's not one of my favourites, but not in a class with the others in that yuck list. I'm also a Billy Connolly fan.

Tags
coffee