"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #961
Executive Chef

i'll have what she's having....

Old 06-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #962
Executive Chef

I just need to sit and relax a bit before starting my to-do list for today. My Mom has been gone for 2 1/2 years now, and I still have days like today where I miss her so much that I spend the morning crying. It's nothing in particular that sets it off, but just an empty feeling in my whole body. Hubby is truly my best friend that I have ever had, but my Mom was my favorite woman ever. She taught me so many things like how to cook and bake, but she taught me so much more like how to be patient, how to love others, how to be the rock for the family, how to be the best Mom, Grandma, and Great Grandma the world has ever seen!

As some of you remember (since I have told the story before), Mom and I used to have a tea party across the miles-her in Michigan, and I in Colorado. One of us would call the other, and we would chat while drinking tea out of our matching china cups. We would chat about anything and everything, and when we were finished we put the tea cups away for next time. Well, I decided this morning that I wanted to have tea with Mom, so I got the dusty old tea cup out of the hutch (next to her picture) and washed it and I am going to have a cup of tea with Mom now. Don't mind me if I cry. Guess I just need to get it out of my system for a bit.........

Old 06-06-2013, 11:50 AM   #963
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
hey, no fair! they have put that new baking show, with jeff foxworthy, up against masterchef! pitting two cooking shows at the same time seems to me unsporting. there is a vast wasteland of tv time slots available with nothing worth watching on them, as always. tonight i'm staying with the american baking competition, see where this new show is headed....
Oh the joys of having 3 DVRs in my home! While I like to cook my hubby's thing is the tv and recording movies so I don't ever miss a show because I can record up to 6 things at one time. He even put in a DVRs up at the camper so even up there he can record stuff. That's just not my thing but the tv keeps him from going out so I can deal with it but he wants me to watch stuff and I just don't like today's movies so I sit down and fall asleep every time

I just got up after 2 hours of sleep and I am waking up so I can clean up and go shopping forums picnic on Saturday.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #964
Senior Cook

I'm sorry that you are hurting today Chopper.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:42 PM   #965
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Chopper, I think having a cup of tea with your mum is a wonderful idea. (((Hugs)))
Old 06-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #966
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Chopper, I think having a cup of tea with your mum is a wonderful idea. (((Hugs)))
Thanks. I choose a pomegranate raspberry tea to start off this morning. It was really good, and I think Mom would have liked it too. After two cups I took a walk with the dogs. They were having so much fun running around and sniffing that I couldn't help but cheer up. I had a friend tell me the other day that I just needed to stop letting myself feel sad about not having Mom around. That is easier said than done, and probably not really necessary. Just so you know, i am not sad all of the time, but once in a while it gets the best of me. i will stop sharing those feelings with that friend. I have great memories, but I will always be sad that I don't have her to share things with any more. I think I will have a little more tea out on the deck and then wash up my special cup and put it away again for a while. I won't let it get quite so dusty this time and will use it again soon. The hugs were wonderful. Thanks again.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #967
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
I'm sorry that you are hurting today Chopper.
Thanks. I'm coming around, and should be fine soon. Just a rough start.
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #968
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
...My Mom has been gone for 2 1/2 years now, and I still have days like today where I miss her so much that I spend the morning crying. It's nothing in particular that sets it off, but just an empty feeling in my whole body......
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
...I had a friend tell me the other day that I just needed to stop letting myself feel sad about not having Mom around. That is easier said than done....
Oh chops, I know just how you feel. It really doesn't get any easier, you just get used to dealing with missing her. My Mom is gone 13+ years, Dad 22 1/2/ and there are still days I get all misty. Like NOW, thanks to you.

I'm going to guess that your friend either still has her Mom/parents in her life or else she didn't have the same special relationship with her mom like you had with yours. Her loss. You hold tight to those memories. They're certainly something special.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:15 PM   #969
Senior Cook

I don't think a person can truly get over a parent's loss, no matter what their relationship was like.

One thing a friend is for, is to lean on when it's needed. I'm a cold hearted person but when my bestie needs me I am there for her as long as I don't have to hug her but if she really needed a hug she knows I would give her one.

My friend was brought up in foster care & she had it rough. She has so many brothers & sisters that she doesn't know & she just lost one of her unknown sisters in a car accident the other week. Now, you have to remember that she knows how I am & I know how she values her family so when we were shopping at Dollar General I snuck off to the cards & handed it to her in the store to read so I could put it back. I got a good hearted giggle from her & then a thank you for being me & being there for her. Her bday is coming up, I think we'll have to go back down to the store so I can give her a card.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 PM   #970
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoymatey2013 View Post
....when we were shopping at Dollar General I snuck off to the cards & handed it to her in the store to read so I could put it back. I got a good hearted giggle from her & then a thank you for being me & being there for her. Her bday is coming up, I think we'll have to go back down to the store so I can give her a card.
That is exactly what my uncle used to do to my aunt! B-day, Mother's Day, he covered them all.

Tags
coffee