DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just poured my second cup of coffee with hazelnut creamer. And, I'm about to head off to a monthly Coffee Break held by a local writers' group for some more :)

Since culinary school is a no-go for me right now, I decided to become a Master Gardener. I picked up the textbook yesterday - for a 12-week class, it's bigger than the 15-month culinary program book! Luckily it's in a 3-ring binder, so I can just take the chapters I need to each class :LOL: So after lunch, I need to start studying.

Have a great day!

hi taxy, how nice that you could join us here for a coffee break.:) does your mokita espresso machine have regular coffee capabilities too? i've been wanting an espresso machine for, like, forever.--it's on my chrstmas list for next year, fingers crossed. btw, what size espresso cup do you normally make?

oh, and bakechef, does your tassimo machine also brew espresso?

Last edited:
hi taxy, how nice that you could join us here for a coffee break.:) does your mokita espresso machine have regular coffee capabilities too? i've been wanting an espresso machine for, like, forever.--it's on my chrstmas list for next year, fingers crossed. btw, what size espresso cup do you normally make?
No, it doesn't really make regular coffee. That's why I make "allongé". I make a double espresso and then add 3-4 parts hot water from my kettle. That makes a pretty good substitute for "regular coffee". I prefer espresso allongé to regular espresso, because I can taste the subtle flavours. With a regular espresso, the flavour is so concentrated that it sort of overwhelms my tongue.

I could just use the hot water/steam thingee to elongate my espresso, but the kettle heats up while I'm making the espresso, so it's quicker that way.

Hey all! I normally pull a double espresso machiatto in the morning from my Gaggia Classic, but this morning I used my French Press to brew a large cup of Tanzanian Peaberry with a splash of whole milk.

I've also incorporated a neat trick with my Cuisinart Drip machine. It never really brewed really hot coffee. After doing some research, I've found that a lot of coffee makers brew at 185-190*, which is pretty low to extract the flavors from fresh ground beans. To combat that, I now heat up my tea kettle and pour the hot water (160-180*) into the reservior. Results are a piping hot (proper temp) cup-o-joe.

Dark Magic morning it is...glad you like the Sumatran, Vit. I enjoy it too.

I have some lovely oatmeal scones with cinnamon icing.

you made that up, didn't you, pf? the part about having some oatmeal scones, you are just teasing about the scones...with the cinnamon topping-- kidding, right?

...i do so love scones:wub:

No polkas during dialysis! Or square dances, I know how you dialysis patients are...:)
It's funny you should say that, PF. A lot of TB's bus clients are dialysis patients. He loves to gently joke with them, keep their spirits up. Last night he picked up one of his regulars, a man in his late 70's in a wheelchair - He said to TB "Hey why don't me and you hit the strip club on our way home - I'm your last drop-off"! TB was still chuckling when he got home! He loves his clients and they love him!

Oh, I am sipping on my ginger tea here, trying to pry my eyes open. Would love a rooiboos chai latte right now but don't have the means of making one nor the energy to drive to Starbucks!

oh, and bakechef, does your tassimo machine also brew espresso?

Yes it does! Tassimo brews under pressure, so espresso can be made using the proper disk. It doesn't brew with as much pressure as a proper espresso machine, but I've enjoyed the results (i'm not an espresso expert by a long shot.)

Well lets see here, I started my day with Belgian Chocolate. I ran like a moron at work for a couple of hours and then pulled out a Creme Brulee to give me the needed boost to get through the rest of the day. It was STUPID today. I'm now at home and I'm considering a cup just to warm me up. I can't decide whether to do a large shot of homemade Bailey's in there, or a couple of spoonfuls of my homemade hot chocolate mix in there. Hmmmm....

So what's everyone doing now? I'm powering down hard. It was a long long long week.

I thought this was a thread about coffee. You know REAL coffee...put's hair on your chest, donuts jump off the counter and run out of the house COFFEE.

Today's coffee was grown in Puerta Verde a "small" estate located just on the outskirts of the town of Antigua, Guatemala. Puerta Verde Bourbon is described by the Mastertaster as a juicy coffee with a cornucopia of fruits present focused around a tartaric acidity. White grape juice, nectarine and tart peach set the tone of the flavor profile. Creamy milk chocolate is interwoven amongst all of the fruit complexity in harmonious balance.

Lovingly roasted at 482 F for about 13.4 minutes until 1st crack or City+ roast level was fully reached. Today's roast developed loads of aroma and an even pecan shell color.

While this coffee makes an excellent single origen espresso it is even better when brewed by the pour-over method in the Chemex. After a days rest, 55 grams were ground to a coarse French Press grind and brewed using 200 degree water.

Served black and allowed to cool just a little to allow all of the complexities of flavor come shining through. Sweet and fruity with a lemony bite and deep chocolate finish. ahhhhhh. That's the stuff.

I heartily endorse being a coffee nut. I have some amazing Costa Rican coffee that I hide from everyone in our house.

Hey all! I normally pull a double espresso machiatto in the morning from my Gaggia Classic, but this morning I used my French Press to brew a large cup of Tanzanian Peaberry with a splash of whole milk.

I've also incorporated a neat trick with my Cuisinart Drip machine. It never really brewed really hot coffee. After doing some research, I've found that a lot of coffee makers brew at 185-190*, which is pretty low to extract the flavors from fresh ground beans. To combat that, I now heat up my tea kettle and pour the hot water (160-180*) into the reservior. Results are a piping hot (proper temp) cup-o-joe.

Now this is a great idea. When I drank coffee, I was always disappointed with the cooler temps. We tried Mr. Coffee, an expensive Bunn, and a Cuisinart, they were never hot enough.

I just poured my second cup of coffee with hazelnut creamer. And, I'm about to head off to a monthly Coffee Break held by a local writers' group for some more :)

Since culinary school is a no-go for me right now, I decided to become a Master Gardener. I picked up the textbook yesterday - for a 12-week class, it's bigger than the 15-month culinary program book! Luckily it's in a 3-ring binder, so I can just take the chapters I need to each class :LOL: So after lunch, I need to start studying.

Have a great day!

We can set up a table for you to study at...:)

you made that up, didn't you, pf? the part about having some oatmeal scones, you are just teasing about the scones...with the cinnamon topping-- kidding, right?

...i do so love scones:wub:

Not kidding about them...but I waited until I got to work to eat one. I made a batch of mini-scones last night for a coffee break at work today with the Social Workers while we went over all the patients. They were a big hit. I left two for Shrek for his morning coffee.:)

No polkas during dialysis! Or square dances, I know how you dialysis patients are...:)
No dancing today is right geez golly, the ownerrn and friend panicked over a swollen ankle and decided to challege my dry weight today I wetn in at 48.0 kilos and came out at 45 then I paid for it but good. had heart burn all morning, went to breakfast to treat my son, he had bacon eggs, english muffin,potatoes, me I had a bowl of oatmeal, with brown sugar, milk or butter and raisins it was nice bowl of fruit and toast which i could not get down so took my renvela and promptly did what I did on my birthday at Elephant Bar. I've been hiding out since had another bowl of hot cereal and more renvela..God I hate those pills but they are a must
sorry for being a pita will see ya all in the morning.
ma

No dancing today is right geez golly, the ownerrn and friend panicked over a swollen ankle and decided to challege my dry weight today I wetn in at 48.0 kilos and came out at 45 then I paid for it but good. had heart burn all morning, went to breakfast to treat my son, he had bacon eggs, english muffin,potatoes, me I had a bowl of oatmeal, with brown sugar, milk or butter and raisins it was nice bowl of fruit and toast which i could not get down so took my renvela and promptly did what I did on my birthday at Elephant Bar. I've been hiding out since had another bowl of hot cereal and more renvela..God I hate those pills but they are a must
sorry for being a pita will see ya all in the morning.
ma

Get some rest Sweetie, get your body settled down. You are not a PITA, I understand how much it takes out of you. Hugs:wub:

You just roast your own...yup snobby. Next you'll be running with scissors...:rolleyes::LOL:

ttttttthhhhhhhhhhbbbbbbbtttttttt!

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom