DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which one do you have space for on your counter?

Well, neither, of course, here in Tinyville.

You'd vote for a KA, like bakechef? I also have to weigh things like, would the KA still be covetable in X number of years? Would it still be desirable, having been used for X years? Or if I just put it away, would the kids shake their heads, "She bought this and didn't even use it!" or words to that effect.

Tra-la-la, a'splitting hairs we go. Something tells me Addie could settle my hash pretty quickly when I go on like this.

You'd vote for a KA, like bakechef? I also have to weigh things like, would the KA still be covetable in X number of years? Would it still be desirable, having been used for X years? Or if I just put it away, would the kids shake their heads, "She bought this and didn't even use it!" or words to that effect.

Tra-la-la, a'splitting hairs we go. Something tells me Addie could settle my hash pretty quickly when I go on like this.

no two ways about it tin, scoop up the ka--one of the artisan ones!:) a ka prettily poised on the counter of your kitchen would be a beeUtiful sight, tin. classic, solid and spare all at once, your shiny new ka will sit as reigning royalty in your kitchen, dazzling to every eye.--- yeah, well, MAKE room, move some stuff!:) and just maybe you can be persuaded to bake some goodies for our little coffee klatch, with your new muscle mixer?:) looking over the various colors being offered in the ka artisan line, tin, i was really taken with a few of their 'new' shades. bright candy red and glacial white are givens, of course, but there is this soft green, they are calling 'Pear' that totally blew me away--sublime, tin! another one, also in an off-green shade, named 'bay leaf'---subtly, powerfully, irresistible....

of course, you will probably want to ask your girl to divulge which colors she is likely to be favoring at the time immediately following the event of your death....:)

Last edited:
no two ways about it tin, scoop up the ka--one of the artisan ones!:) a ka prettily poised on the counter of your kitchen would be a beeUtiful sight, tin. classic, solid and spare all at once, your shiny new ka will sit as reigning royalty in your kitchen, dazzling to every eye.--- yeah, well, MAKE room, move some stuff!:) and just maybe you can be persuaded to bake some goodies for our little coffee klatch, with your new muscle mixer?:) looking over the various colors being offered in the ka artisan line, tin, i was really taken with a few of their 'new' shades. bright candy red and glacial white are givens, of course, but there is this soft green, they are calling 'Pear' that totally blew me away--sublime, tin! another one, also in an off-green shade, named 'bay leaf'---subtly, powerfully, irresistible....

of course, you will probably want to ask your girl to divulge which colors she is likely to be favoring at the time immediately following the event of your death....:)

You smooth talker, you. I already know which one she wants...I can see it now, between a nose honk and a wipe of the eye, "Oh, look. It's the Copper One! Thanks, Mom." See me smile.

As for treats, I have a special weakness for Igloo Oatmeal Cookies that have a browned butter frosting. I lost, er, misplaced the recipe last month so didn't get to make them. Oh, boy. Notwithstanding the coffee thingy here, an ice-cold glass of milk from kades' fridge would be perfect with them.

Maybe I should check Andy's old post to see what color that KA was that attacked his toilet. Wouldn't want to have to deal with that.

Was it Mighty Long Wind person who named his red KA Lucille? or am I misremembering?

It was FrankZ. And I think Andy's KA was red too wasn't it?

My KA is a really old one. From when they were made by Hobart I think. Its a workhorse. Love it. I have another system that I use rarely or when there are two of us baking at once, but the KA is my baby. Mine has the old fashioned lift head. I prefer it to the lift bowl mechanism they have now. My sister got one of those and hated it.

Hi SB! Glad you could make it. You'll have to bring your own coffee or borrow some from someone here if I am going to make you a French or Italian roast espresso - far too dark for my taste. But I'd love to make you a nice espresso.

Just made my first cup of espresso allongé. I'll have that and see if anyone drops by here. Got a lot of cleaning and some prep to do. I've got friends coming over for cocktails and dinner.
I have Italian roast decaf if she would like some I'd be more than glad to shar and I put plenty of creamers in the refridgerator when I had it brought in.
ma

We have quite the place here. The never empty fridge, fresh roasts, k-cups, any kind of coffee maker you could think of. The only thing missing is the wonderful machine that makes Irish Coffee (I think Callahan might share). Study space. I do prefer the counter height table in the bay window, so I can people watch, too!

Look there's even an area to wash and clean ruined keyboards and monitors...

Very nice place.

hello there, jbb.:) welcome to dc, and to the dc coffee klatch, newly hatched, (or brewed) as we are. grab a chair, make yourself at home. good, you brought coffee. help yourself to a ginger cookie. one of the newbies left them here for us, said she started a new diet....we are just getting set up here, jbb. kades got a fridge for us to use here, for milk and creamers and stuff. look, jbb, it makes ice cubes too!!--round ones with holes! my refrigerator at home doesn't even have an icemaker...well, unless you count the ice cube trays in the freezer...wonder if the admins will let us have a microwave oven for in here....

Last edited:
We have quite the place here. The never empty fridge, fresh roasts, k-cups, any kind of coffee maker you could think of. The only thing missing is the wonderful machine that makes Irish Coffee (I think Callahan might share). Study space. I do prefer the counter height table in the bay window, so I can people watch, too!

Look there's even an area to wash and clean ruined keyboards and monitors...

Very nice place.
It sure is PF. But what can you expect what with the gang that gsthers here to chat and shar goodie and coffee.
ma

You smooth talker, you. I already know which one she wants...I can see it now, between a nose honk and a wipe of the eye, "Oh, look. It's the Copper One! Thanks, Mom." See me smile.

As for treats, I have a special weakness for Igloo Oatmeal Cookies that have a browned butter frosting. I lost, er, misplaced the recipe last month so didn't get to make them. Oh, boy. Notwithstanding the coffee thingy here, an ice-cold glass of milk from kades' fridge would be perfect with them.

oh, copper is a good choice, tin! like denim, it will never go out of style.:) and you will be making trips to your kitchen, just to take another look at your beautiful copper ka-- all sleek and curved and lustrously bronze....

my kitchen is a stingy, cramped space, too. when i hurt my back, i moved my keurig coffeemaker and k cup carousel into my bedroom. i love this set-up! the keurig sits on top of the dresser like it belongs there, adding a touch of B&B style comfort and convenience to my bedroom.

only thing is, sometimes, like this morning, i might not venture out of my bedroom til almost noon. i like to linger there, wake myself up with a second mug of dark hot brew, catch up on news, weather, and other morning tv nonsense....

Wow the coffee in here smells delightful! I'll partake of some, and another cookie if I may. What the heck - it's Monday - I'll make my coffee a double.

monday, monday, can't trust that dayyy...whatTHEheck, double up on those cookies, too, jkath, they're good with coffee, not too sweet---oh, i didn't even See THOSE, jkath! they look homemade! it's gotta be kades or tin, i think...although...just look at the goodies filling up our new fridge! people must be planning to do a lot of munching and dunking on their coffee breaks....:)

i'll be looking to find your food blog, jkath. so far, my computer is giving off this 'unable to display page' message....:(

oh, copper is a good choice, tin! like denim, it will never go out of style.:) and you will be making trips to your kitchen, just to take another look at your beautiful copper ka-- all sleek and curved and lustrously bronze....

my kitchen is a stingy, cramped space, too. when i hurt my back, i moved my keurig coffeemaker and k cup carousel into my bedroom. i love this set-up! the keurig sits on top of the dresser like it belongs there, adding a touch of B&B style comfort and convenience to my bedroom.

only thing is, sometimes, like this morning, i might not venture out of my bedroom til almost noon. i like to linger there, wake myself up with a second mug of dark hot brew, catch up on news, weather, and other morning tv nonsense....

Here I thought you were a nice person -- but you turn out to be a terrible influence. You'll be leading me into a life of sloth and indulgence! Just from reading your post I'm already trying to think of a place to put a hot drink appliance in my bedroom. Hmm...and hot cocoa while finishing up the bedtime reading. And wouldn't that be nice for a houseguest -- coffee makers appear regularly at the thrift stores.

But to business: I saw on a thread (maybe this one??) about the ka style/type, either a tip-back head or lift-up bowl. What's the scoop on that?

I'm adding along a bowl of pecans for us to snack on - since I eat them pretty much every morning with my coffee, I figured you guys might want some too :) (and they taste good with those cookies anyway)

Right now for the average home, the KA is pretty expensive. and you can be pretty sure by the time the little ones start their own homes, they will covet your KA. Just on the cost alone. Starting out on one's own, is pretty expensive. Ask any parents who kids are still home. Definitely use it. Let the children help or at least lick the beaters. Gives them fond memories. Get a child's cookbook from your local library and let them make dishes that call for using the mixer. I have the pasta maker and the food grinder. I use the grinder quite frequently. I make my own noodles for chicken noodle soup. When I bought them, they cost the grand sum of $24.99 each. I haven't look at the prices lately. I also have the big glass bowl and two metal bowls. One with and one without a handle. The one with is so much easier to use. The one with cost me $19.99. Well worth the cost. The glass bowl was a present. BTW I bought my KA for $60.00. And it is still gong strong.

Definitely use your KA. Let the kids see you using it and how easy it is to use. Let them participate and help. Let them learn how to attach the beaters and whisk. There will be arguments over who gets it when you no longer use it. But you will find yourself using it to make cakes and other goodies if and when they leave home. It will outlast your washer, dryer, fridge and any other appliance you may have in your home or kitchen. And get as much use. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom