DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just pulled some coffee beans out of the roaster and thought I'd drop them off.

Todays roast comes all the way from Columbia. This particular lot comes from several small estates in the Taminango region on the northern border with Ecuador. These farms are planted primarily in the caturra varietal.

The dry grounds have a peach smell to them and a bran-like sweetness. Pouring hot water brings up raspberry and maple in the steam. Roasted to Full City, well developed sugars are notable in in the cup, light brown sugar, wildflower honey, and butterscotch with a cacao finish. As the temperature of the cup dips, fruits begin to emerge there is a base of green grape and Asian pear

Enjoy DC.

Last edited:
Nice aroma! Thanks .40. I have more of the Oatmeal Scones, I added some golden flax seed to them and some cinnamon icing on the side if you would rather not have it. These other scones are plain and made with 1/2 almond flour and I have a dish of lemon curd to spread on. They are still warm.

finally, i got here in time to sample your scones, pf. they are really nice! and these ones with the almond flour...is it the almond flour i'm tasting? yum--i love the mouthfeel--so perfect with my first morning coffees. like, i really need another guilty pleasure right about now, lol....have you tasted my fogchaser coffee yet, pf? it's there, in that clear canister on the counter? they are those eco-friendly pods that need to be stored in a sealed container. sfb, my new go-to coffee, so good. now, i guess i can do away with that fancy rotating carousel of mine, huh? dang, i really liked displaying all my different coffees in that thing, too. maybe i'll keep it around just to store my special brand k cups in....
are you sharing your recipe for those almondy scones, pf--or better yet, bringing them in here already made? :)

Last edited:
img_1228728_0_9b5c62b65dfde9072d858e306476f47e.jpg

of scone, that is.

(Thanks to MrsLMB on Today's Funny)

Here is the basic recipe I use, I add and subtract from there. Scones: King Arthur Flour

thank you, pf.:) i got hungry all over again just reading through the mixing instructions for the scones. interesting, that they like to be chilled before baking. i have a new jar of plum jam waiting in the wings....

congratulations, on your master's degree! that is a super achievement, pf, and to think you accomplished it while holding down a full time job makes it even more impressive!:)

thank you, pf.:) i got hungry all over again just reading through the mixing instructions for the scones. interesting, that they like to be chilled before baking. i have a new jar of plum jam waiting in the wings....

congratulations, on your master's degree! that is a super achievement, pf, and to think you accomplished it while holding down a full time job makes it even more impressive!:)

Thanks, Vit...full-time job, that's why it took me 6 years...:LOL: I'm so glad to be done with my dissertation, finally.

while i'm waiting to get some ka flour bought and home (for making those scones), i also need to decide between two homemade jams: one is a no-seeds blackberry, and the other, which i don't think i've had before, is strawberry rhubarb. oh, and then there is also a black-raspberry! which jam would go best with the ka scones, do you think?

Last edited:
while i'm waiting to get some ka flour bought and home (for making those scones), i also need to decide between two homemade jams: one is a no-seeds blackberry, and the other, which i don't think i've had before, is strawberry rhubarb. oh, and then there is also a black-raspberry! which jam would go best with the ka scones, do you think?

The choice is obvious. Put 3 scones on your plate and slather each with a different jelly. :) Don't forget the coffee. Stay away from the S.cones!

hi coffeemates. you know, everything seems to turn into a story with me...so, if you don't wish to hear a long, drawn-out tale about fruit preserves, if you don't have a burning desire to know which of the jam flavors vitauta finally settled on to spread her stupid scones with--scones which still reside only in her own head, btw--then simply skip the rest of this post. don't worry, she won't mind. she probably won't even notice that we have gone....:)

scuse me, scuse me for a few minutes, friends. i must place my food order online by midnight, or i won't get a delivery tomorrow....

Last edited:

For those with dentures, seedless definitely. :angel:

well, i missed the deadline of midnight by a couple of minutes, and didn't get a few of my items ordered, but the bulk of my list is in, and scheduled for delivery tomorrow between 3-5pm.
now, where was i, with my main subject--yes, artisan jams: as it happened, i didn't buy any of the berry jams i was posting about earlier, the blackberry, strawberry-rhubarb, none of them. what i ended up ordering was *blueberry*--and here's the story to go along with this sudden turn of events:
...i'm still deliberating which preserves to buy, when i come across this advertisement for "jan's jams"--jan's blueberry artisan jam...i'm thinking, 'artisan'--that means it's going to cost me a lot, just like with their 'artisan breads', artisan cheeses, and everything else artisan today. but then, what catches my eye, printed on the front of jan's jam jar, is this, "jan's artisan blueberry jams are cooked in 8-10 cup batches, with berries grown free of pesticides and herbicides." then it says that each 9 oz. jar of jan's jam is loaded with TEN cups of fresh berries!! my mouth is watering, but i'm still not about to spend $9 for one single jar of jam. after all, i still want the blackberry and the strawberry-rhubarb jams too...and why do i keep on reading, i really don't know, but i do know i'm about to get sucked in if i don't quit--"the clarks came across the rose tree farm in 1990. it was an old, neglected fruit orchard, which the clarks lovingly restored, turning it into a working family farm, growing blueberries, mulberries and raspberries." by now, you may well think i'm making all of this up, and i wouldn't blame you either. but you would be wrong. the actual, true-life address of this fairytale farm, located near richmond, virginia, is 8200 w. cool hill road, rose hill farm, est. 1990. the only way for this story to have a righteous ending is, if when i open up my nine dollar jar of jan's blueberry artisan jam tomorrow afternoon, that it turns out to be totally, utterly inedible....:)

Last edited:
Good morning (for some values of good) to all. I'm sort of awake. I'm working on my first cup of joe: a double espersso allongé of Lavazza Rossa. It's a lovely, medium roast coffee from Italy, ground for espresso. I have to pay attention while I drink it, so I can enjoy it properly - don't just treat it like something to help me wake up.

Back
Top Bottom