DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The roof is complete. Yea! Tomorrow they will nail on the sheathing and start laying brick. The don't have enough brick to go all the way to the top of the second story so the plan is to use siding on the upper half of the building.

What color do you want to paint it? Yellowish brick and white trim. Green shingles.

There will be trades in and out the rest of this week. Plumbers, electricians, etc.

Working on a contract for the finish carpenters. Don't want to ginx it by saying. Just wish me luck.

you are a natural deal maker, .40. we trust you to bring the best package away from the table, sealed with a cigar and a handshake.:)

for a color, i like the idea of an old gold shade to accentuate the yellowish color of the brick. be nice with forest green, also....

Last edited:
Oh Alix! I feel like slapping that Schneider for pilfering your Scotch! Of course if I had known it was there I might have snuck a nip myself, I'm a "Scotch girl" and you gotta love Glenfidich. Listen I have half a bottle of "the Glen" myself, I'm going to leave it here, maybe you and I (and anyone else of like mind) can share a dram ;)
I'm also dropping off a pan of Bakechef's Brownies. I need a kitty fix, so I think I will coax one of the cats to sit on my lap for a while before I head to dreamland :)

Okay, the fire pit is just about finished, I have it covered so it doesn't get wet in this weather. Here is a pic of it and I have enough flagstone to face something similar to this Q space...what do you think?

Attachments

• 1670_firepit.JPG
    1670_firepit.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 136
  • q area.jpg
    q area.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 129
Okay, the fire pit is just about finished, I have it covered so it doesn't get wet in this weather. Here is a pic of it and I have enough flagstone to face something similar to this Q space...what do you think?

Wow that's some great work PF. I was wondering how you lifted all those heavy stones by yourself and then I remembered that you're an ogress.

:)

Last edited:
magnificent fire pit, pf! i'll take an ogress over a professional field stone mason any day!! can't wait for an excuse to call a circle gathering 'round a roaring fire at this primal new place!

you are such a dear, bunny--yummer brownies to sweeten up my coffee experience this morning. they are so fudgy good! seems like all of us dcers are baking bakechef's recipe these days....

sure hope pac gets here before all of these brownies are gone... i was hoping to get him interested in our big bbq doings this weekend, and persuade him to grill his famous chicken wings with 'babe's' free range chickens. he even makes steak-flavored ones! .40 will be here to slow-cook the pork butt, texas style....we'll need a killer cole slaw, too....

my coffee keeps getting cold before i can finish it. guess i'll just make one more fresh brew, and feed the kitties. they act like they haven't seen food for days!! i like the way domino sits up on his back legs, begging for treats with those eyes and paws curled....

Last edited:
I'm in the midst of baking some pumpernickle bread so if anyone wants a sammie for lunch we're on I put sliced swiss,cheddar,and some finely sliced brisket in the fridge help your selves the bred can be sliced with the electric slicer DH set up for us.
eat hearty and well, pickles,chips on counter.
ma

Thanks, I love stone masonry...any extra suggestions on the cooking end of the patio? Do we want gas and water piped in or leave it rustic with wool/charcoal and tote that water? I can also put in electric...

While Bubba and Darrell the middle labor our building is taking shape one brick at a time. The other two Darrell brothers have been putting up siding on the second story.

Electrical and Plumbing work are complete. Code Enforcement will be out tomorrow for inspections.

Provided we pass inspection a crew is scheduled to come out and insulate the building with binary foam. This method will totally seal the air spaces between the studs providing a draft free environment that is also insect resistant.

I had a little surprise when I learned about the two story chimney in the center of the building with openings for fireplaces in four rooms. Two in each story.

Duct work has been put in place for central heat and air. We'll have to take up a collection for the HVAC equipment in the spring. Maybe we can have a garage sale to help raise those funds

Next week, windows, doors and sheetrock I hate sheetrock work...SO MESSY.

I'm still working on the finish carpenter. My bobber is twitching, I'm just waiting for the right moment to set the hook. Payment is a 2 week all expenses paid vacation at the Brenham farm house and a tour of the Texas hill country. This includes Washington on the Brazos, the Independence Trail, Battle of Flowers memorial, The Alamo, Treaty Oak, Texas State Capitol, Sam Houston memorial, and other historical sites from the days of the Texas Republic.

Despite my carping at the number of books, the Friends of the Library had a bang-up sale yesterday so here I am with two more boxes of miscellaneous books to put up. I promise to do them all as soon as I get a shot of caffeine.

G'morning, all.

Despite my carping at the number of books, the Friends of the Library had a bang-up sale yesterday so here I am with two more boxes of miscellaneous books to put up. I promise to do them all as soon as I get a shot of caffeine.

G'morning, all.

more books, tin? let's see what you have in there...let me give you a hand with them while my coffee cools down a bit. oh, hehe, i see you already have plenty of help with both kitties going at it!! attacking... what? i think they just want to fight over the box, must be a 'cat thing'-- they leave the best, cushy seats in the house, to spar over this dusty old cardboard box. huh, go figure....:)

let's let them play awhile, tin. did you hear the exciting news from .40 about the rooms here that have plastered-in fireplaces? apparently, from a central chimney existing from the time of the construction of the original building. can you imagine, tin? even if we don't use them for heating, as actively functioning fireplaces....i can't wait to see the walls torn down to reveal those old fireplaces, hidden from sight for all these years--there's supposed to be four of them! i wonder, have you noticed, tin, is that a brick or a stone chimney, up there on the roof?

have you seen the awesome masonry work done by pf at the back of the house--the splendid fire pit she built? the round, stone-stacked pit is surrounded by the loveliest expanse of field stone, pf's skills...it will make the most perfect evening gathering place for us to relax with our choice of cuppas-- a blazing fire, alive with movement and dancing flames, its mesmerizing powers--melting, softening, entrancing....blissful

I decided I wanted water for sure, have the plumbing done...do we want electric? Wood/charcoal or gas for the grill? Hurry, hurry...our BBQ is tomorrow!

i decided to stop by tonight with the bags of chicken wings and spare ribs for tomorrow's bbq. whoever is doing the grilling for this party may want to marinate some of this meat ahead...oh goody, i see somebody already came by and left a big ol' bowl of coleslaw. let me just take a little...oh yeah, that's killer alright, umm!

sure hope .40 has a good scheme for how to get the crew over here tomorrow, being the weekend an' all....

Electrical...no problem. I'll check and make sure I have the right conduit and get it out tonight, it'll go fast, I'll hook up when it's light out.

Say....what time should I have the beans here? I want to keep them hot and they are in my big enamelware roaster. If there ends up being grill space they could stay warm there, otherwise I don't want to get them here too early.

Back
Top Bottom