DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Next time tell the owners to put in a second table. One for the girls and one for the guys. Of course other than you and your sister, all the girls will want to play with the men. :angel:

Gosh, that was over 20 years ago...

.40, I think we'd better depend on you to do a walk-through with the punch list - make sure the FFE is complete. When you say it's finished, it's finished!

Y'all realize, of course, that many happy homes are going to be disrupted by this place -- who wouldn't want to just pack a bag and spend all their time here?

gosh tin, i certainly hope our shangri-la retreat isn't breaking up marriages or sowing seeds of discontent among our dc members. being single myself, i really can't speak to the possible negative effects of this place on family households....

but, let me tell you some of the ways the dc coffee klatch, (morphed into a gentleman's farm/utopian dream retreat) is already benefiting people like me:

coffee breaks can happen at any moment--tired? job stressed? hungry? need company? relaxation, stimulation, socialization? drop what you are doing, and take the break you need--it's all right here, at your beck and call....

the beauty of being able to abandon one's diet for chocolate croissants, strawberry cheesecake, french fries 'n gravy, anything and everything, and all totally guilt-free!

an apartment dweller (such as myself) can avail oneself of a whole host of luxuries and opportunities at this 'home away from home' that are just not possible in most rental housing environments:

at the 'oasis' pets are allowed--a place to play with the kitties. there is space for gardens--flowers, vegetables, fruit trees if we want...a grilling station for cookouts, firepit, hot tub, fountains and wide porches--none of these things can be found at an apartment community such as mine....

and indoors? just ask .40--from the coffeehouse to the library, the study, rec rooms, industrial kitchen, dining hall/bar, all the creature comforts, modern conveniences, sumptuous furnishings, jukebox room--yes, the music can be played as loud as the woofers and tweeters allow...a walk-in humidor...(a What?!)

so far, tin, i just don't see the downside. not yet i don't....:)

Last edited:
One more benfit. A live in maid to clean up after all of us. She will be well paid of course. But we will be expected to clean up any little personal mess we might make. We don't want to live like little piggies. :angel:

One more benfit. A live in maid to clean up after all of us. She will be well paid of course. But we will be expected to clean up any little personal mess we might make. We don't want to live like little piggies. :angel:

speaking of piggies, addie, are the kitties making little piggies out of themselves, eating everything in sight? good news. tim has finished early with his work at the 'oasis', and we can take the cats off of your hands as early as tomorrow afternoon. is that a good time for you?

speaking of piggies, addie, are the kitties making little piggies out of themselves, eating everything in sight? good news. tim has finished early with his work at the 'oasis', and we can take the cats off of your hands as early as tomorrow afternoon. is that a good time for you?

They eat everything you put in front of them. Even Teddy's food. And he is having a ball playing with them. Wait until you see how much they have grown and how fat little balls of fur they have become.

BTW, I have always wanted to have a pet named Buttons. Can we name one of the kittens Buttons? I am going to miss the little buggers. So if you want them back tomorrow, I guess it will be all right,. (with a tear in the corner of my eye and my head hanging down)

aw, you'll be seeing your little buggers whenever you come by for your coffees. thank you for putting them up, and for putting up with them and their 'deadly dander'....maybe, if you like, you could become their holiday home, and for when we have tim and al back here again. buttons is a cute name. which one will it be? i don't think they will get officially named, anyway. they get called all different names--and don't come to any of them from what i'm seeing....

Last edited:
Addie, I have a nursing rocker, the seat is lower, would that be more comfortable for you to sit on? I have a nice seat and back cushion for it.

aw, you'll be seeing your little buggers whenever you come by for your coffees. thank you for putting them up, and for putting up with them and their 'deadly dander'....maybe, if you like, you could become their holiday home, and for when we have tim and al back here again. buttons is a cute name. which one will it be? i don't think they will get officially named, anyway. they get called all different names--and don't come to any of them from what i'm seeing....

The little one with the long fur. She looks like she may have some Angora in her. I used Teddy's brush on her while she was sitting on my lap and she loved it. Even fell asleep while purring. I fell in love. Buttons would fit her just fine. :angel:

Addie, I have a nursing rocker, the seat is lower, would that be more comfortable for you to sit on? I have a nice seat and back cushion for it.

PF it is not when I am sitting, but standing or walking too long. I have to sit down to get relief. I had a rocker for all my kids and they all got rocked while I was nursing them. No wonder they were happy babies. We had a rocker in the nursery when I worked at Revere Memorial Hospital.

I could sit all day and my hip and spine are fine. It is when I push myself trying to do more than I should, that the pain starts. It is partly arthritis but mostly circulatory problems. I already have five stents in me. And one is right at the groin where the pain starts. The last time I went to the cath lab, it was mostly for exploratory purposes. That is the second time they went in to take a look to see if there was anything else they could do. They can't. Getting old is really hard work. Thank you for the thought. It seems that I have been in that OR more times than I can count. Everytime I go and they start to tell me what is going to happen, I tell them, yeh, yeh, yeh. Save yoru breath. Been there, done that. Just put me to sleep and if I don't make it, just take my organs before I leave the room. The fresher they are, the more successful the transplant. :angel:

I was thinking of putting it near the fireplace...so you could sit and rock...here at the klatch...

I was thinking of putting it near the fireplace...so you could sit and rock...here at the klatch...

Great idea. Do I get to kick anyone out of it when I show up? I can sit and have Buttons in my lap while I brush her. I could stencil "Addie's Rocker" on the back of the top of the chair. (When I am not there I better not hear of anyone saying, "Addie's off her rocker!) :angel:

Um...it is an antique...my Mother in Law was rocked as a baby in that chair.

I love antiques. No painting on it. I always appreciate the love and care that any antique receives. It tells me that someone loved it also. My sister and I would go antiquing on weekends. I would see an old kitchen set and just stand there rubbing my hand over the table thinking of all the happy meals that were eaten at that table. All the memories that a family made sitting around it. Thanks to the Antiqque Road Show, today's young folks are learning and beginning to appreciate family treasures. And not just for the monetary value. My daughter is all modern. My three sons know and appreciate what I have and will be fighting over who gets what. I had to make out a will so there would be no bloodshed. The Pirate definitely wants my Depression Era green batter bowl. I also have a very old hand made jewelry box that is dovetailed. Beautiful workmanship. My granddaughter wants that.

I keep things. I am not one that has to have the latest and greatest. I have an old oil lamp. There have been a few times when we lost our power that it came in handy. When my sister and I were potty training our children, we had a chamber pot that my grandfather made at the ceramic factory where he worked. All eight children were trained on that. My neice has it now. :angel:

I love antiques. No painting on it. I always appreciate the love and care that any antique receives. It tells me that someone loved it also. My sister and I would go antiquing on weekends. I would see an old kitchen set and just stand there rubbing my hand over the table thinking of all the happy meals that were eaten at that table. All the memories that a family made sitting around it. Thanks to the Antiqque Road Show, today's young folks are learning and beginning to appreciate family treasures. And not just for the monetary value. My daughter is all modern. My three sons know and appreciate what I have and will be fighting over who gets what. I had to make out a will so there would be no bloodshed. The Pirate definitely wants my Depression Era green batter bowl. I also have a very old hand made jewelry box that is dovetailed. Beautiful workmanship. My granddaughter wants that.

I keep things. I am not one that has to have the latest and greatest. I have an old oil lamp. There have been a few times when we lost our power that it came in handy. When my sister and I were potty training our children, we had a chamber pot that my grandfather made at the ceramic factory where he worked. All eight children were trained on that. My neice has it now. :angel:

Shrek and his brothers were also rocked in that chair. I was the only person who saw it had history (not just $$ signs) and so it came to me. Same with the silver, which I think I will donate to the kitchen. It's marked L. de la Reussille Jeweler Red Bank N.J.

gosh tin, i certainly hope our shangri-la retreat isn't breaking up marriages or sowing seeds of discontent among our dc members. being single myself, i really can't speak to the possible negative effects of this place on family households....

but, let me tell you some of the ways the dc coffee klatch, (morphed into a gentleman's farm/utopian dream retreat) is already benefiting people like me:

coffee breaks can happen at any moment--tired? job stressed? hungry? need company? relaxation, stimulation, socialization? drop what you are doing, and take the break you need--it's all right here, at your beck and call....

the beauty of being able to abandon one's diet for chocolate croissants, strawberry cheesecake, french fries 'n gravy, anything and everything, and all totally guilt-free!

an apartment dweller (such as myself) can avail oneself of a whole host of luxuries and opportunities at this 'home away from home' that are just not possible in most rental housing environments:

at the 'oasis' pets are allowed--a place to play with the kitties. there is space for gardens--flowers, vegetables, fruit trees if we want...a grilling station for cookouts, firepit, hot tub, fountains and wide porches--none of these things can be found at an apartment community such as mine....

and indoors? just ask .40--from the coffeehouse to the library, the study, rec rooms, industrial kitchen, dining hall/bar, all the creature comforts, modern conveniences, sumptuous furnishings, jukebox room--yes, the music can be played as loud as the woofers and tweeters allow...a walk-in humidor...(a What?!)

so far, tin, i just don't see the downside. not yet i don't....:)

Well, doggies, V. I do believe I'll be visiting the Taj Ma Cafe this Thursday. Got no SO to treat or be treated by anymore this Valentine's Day, so I can just toddle off to our oasis & fill up on whatever comes to hand; well, whatever's chocolate. There are going to be other comfy chairs there by the fire.....I feel some chatting coming on.

i need a tall coffee, hot and strong, and a place to put up my feet--ahhhh, oh that's the ticket! well, hellllooo kitties! remember me? look at that fat stomach, dommie. if i didn't know better, i'd guess you went and got yourself preggers up there in boston...
we knew addie would be spoiling you outrageously. buttons, you look all bright-eyed and sleek coated...that's right, plenty of room in my lap. no, noo, buttons, get used to it--i'm not your personal groomer! oh addie, buttons says she would love to have you brush her, but not to touch her tail or her paws. well, why don't you instant message her, buttons? invite her over for valentines day....?

well tin, i wonder who else will be showing up at the klatch on valentine's day? i brought over a box of see's chocolates that came in my mail today. my girl has proclaimed them to be "better than godiva"--image that! i can't resist the red heart-shaped valentine's chocolate boxes every year. i know you get ripped off with all that fancy packaging, but the chocolates taste extra special coming out from a pretty box, don't you agree....:)

oh, here is another little sumpin sumpin for v-day, guys--a small bottle of godiva dark chocolate liqueur. pour a jigger of this silky liquid chocolate into your coffee mug-- guaranteed to make a coffee lover out the last of you remaining coffee abstainers.

who will be here tomorrow morning to receive a delivery? my favorite bakery, hotcakes, is baking a heart-shaped b-day cake for alix--lemon-on-lemon, with lemon- whipped cream topping. she's going to a french bistro with her family tonight for her birthday dinner.... i just love to spring sweet little surprises like this, i do....:)

Last edited:
Hey hey everyone, just stopping by for a little TLC. I just smashed my head on the corner of a cupboard. Ow. Seriously, way to look hot going out to the restaurant. *sigh*

Coffee vitauta? I'm having a caramel macchiato. Ahhhh. Feeling better.

.40, people coming through here, they're like tourists with cameras, all of 'em love what's been done to this place. they say you are a genius builder-architect, and a few are asking if you are taking on new clients. are you? if you want, you can leave some of your business cards here at the cafe....

addie has brought to our attention the need for a housekeeper. you have all these connections, .40....we do have some special needs for a worker here though, and finances are sketchy as ever....somebody can write up a want-ad with requirements for the position this week, but the main qualities we are looking for are a reliable, hard working neatnick, a foodie type, with great cooking and baking skills, good organizing and managing skills. oh, i'm not at all good at this....

that's all i can think of, right now, .40. i'll try to get pf or alix to draw up a formal job description for you, if you think you can help us find our housekeeper.as i see it, room and board will be the primary attraction for this position.....

Last edited:
oh, oh, oh alix!! look who's here, guys, the birthday girl! alix, you are looking like a hot chica tonight, girl! i'm so envious of you, i do so love french food, and everyone giving you meal suggestions at dc today had me going out of my mind with wild cravings! can you stay for a glass of b-day sparkling wine, alix? love those kicky boots you're wearing....:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom