DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Morning all! You know you're feeling better when you chow down two slices of peanut butter toast without sharing the crust with the dog, and realize you need MORE! Whew! That was a long run of icky.

I'm going to get started on making these coffee beans. *ties on apron* I've never had milk chocolate ones, but they sound AWESOME. I just happened to have about 1kg of Callebaut milk chocolate in a slab that needs a job. I think I found that job.

Need some tunes...anyone know where that iPod docking station went? I left it on the fridge...wait a second...I KNOW it wasn't on the counter a minute ago. Elves? You here? Want some chocolate? Hey PF, I can feed them right?

Speaking of feeding, has anyone noticed the kitties are a wee bit um, fat? Maybe we need some kind of system that lets us know who's already fed them so we don't overfeed these gluttons.

They can be fed, just no real clothes. They are magic so they can hear you ask a question. They try to anticipate, which can cause some funny dances, but they never mean to trip you like the cats will.

Those two kittens are trying it on everyone. I suggest a timed feeding bowl and only one diet kitty treat per visit from each visitor. That should keep it down and post a sign that says the kitties are cons, they are not going hungry! We don't need diabetic cats!

Those two kittens are trying it on everyone. I suggest a timed feeding bowl and only one diet kitty treat per visit from each visitor. That should keep it down and post a sign that says the kitties are cons, they are not going hungry! We don't need diabetic cats!

FUR PIGS. That's what they are. FUR PIGS.

You should let me take them to the farm in Brenham for the summer. Let then catch mice in the barns to earn their supper.

addie, how would you feel about taking buttons and domino for a time again, to your home where they could be maintained on a dietary program for awhile? do you think you would like a go at it? even a few weeks of a controlled diet would make a big difference for our two butterballs. i know it wouldn't be easy....:ermm:

In a heartbeat. I miss them so much. And I know Teddy will love playing with them. With a controlled diet and running around the apartment with Teddy, those pudgy pounds will come right off. I certainly don't want eith of them on YouTube as a freak show. Send them right over. :angel:

I vote for sending them to Addie. I'm afraid that if they went to the country, they would be a danger to our elves when they got back.

I vote for sending them to Addie. I'm afraid that if they went to the country, they would be a danger to our elves when they got back.

Absolutely. I don't like the idea of them eating critters that carry disease. I also saw some cute leashes for cats. They could run along side Brunhilda when I make a run to the store. Or even just around the block a couple of times. I will get that weight off them without starving them. Both Spike and I agree that there is no excuse for overweight pets. That's why Teddy gets three walks a day for a minimum of one hour each. He goes spastic when he goes down to the ballpark or the beach. All his friends are there for him to play with. The kitties too will get much needed excercise. :angel:

Ummm...having put two cats on leashes and tried to walk them before...it's nigh unto impossible to get them to go in the same direction, especially when something scares them and you end up with a kitten stole around your head and neck with claws...

Yes, best not to train them to eat small critters. Although if we ask loud enough the elves can keep them busier during the day to get the weight off. I'm surprised the elves haven't already taught them some fun "Keep Away" games.

Thanks Buddies, you are so good, they've dug out all the cat toys from under the furniture and other places the kitties hide them.

I have a lot of patience. And if all else fails, I can put them in my large basket and bring them back home. Maybe I will try one at a time. :angel:

Last edited:
Whoo. Sorry I've been a bit absent for the last bit. I ate a bunch of the beans I messed up on and got a bit...buzzy. It was crazy! Those things are AMAZING! I particularly like the milk chocolate ones tossed in cocoa.

I have a confession to make. I fed some to the elves. They got a little bit hyper and they polished EVERYTHING. Be careful on the stairs.

i can't believe how quiet this place is with the kittens gone. it's like church on a monday morning, a real dark, empty kind of quiet...still, it should be good for the kitties to spend a month at their aunt addie's fat farm up in boston. boy, are they in for a surprise! they probably thought it was going to be like their christmas visit there--all treats and petting and plenty of snuggly naps with aunt addie.

hah! instead, our two pudgy cuties will be put through their paces at aunt addie's boot camp, with plenty of exercise and healthy portions of food, no more all day all-you-can- eat kitty banquets they have been accustomed to at the coffee klatch.

addie, i trust you guys are all settled in at your place by now.:) good luck with those two and the challenges ahead. listen, i forgot to ask you before, but i hope you have a way to get a starting weight on the kitties, so you can chart their weight loss progress. just be extra careful with buttons. she tried to scratch me when i attempted to weigh her the other day. but i think she is more gentle with you, not letting out her nails like she does with me, the wild little tiger....:)

i know we'll miss having the cats running around here, they can be most entertaining with their antics and cute ways. but they will benefit from their healthy lifestyle change. the elves will benefit too. with the kitties gone, they will have some time to get better acquainted and adjusted to us humans at the house. i'm hoping the elves will get more comfortable in our company, now that there will only be us and them as the only species around. i am eagerly waiting for the time they will show themselves in my presence.

i think they might be getting used to me a little bit, cause i've seen flashes of movement from time to time, and articles of mine get moved around and strangely rearranged. i think they might be playing with me. i hope so....

alix, the tea towels you left for the elves, is there pink yarn in them? i keep seeing fleeting streaks of pink colored shapes from my side view, visions of pink somethings, dodging here and there across my view momentarily....

Last edited:
i can't believe how quiet this place is with the kittens gone. it's like church on a monday morning, a real dark, empty kind of quiet...still, it should be good for the kitties to spend a month at their aunt addie's fat farm up in boston. boy, are they in for a surprise! they probably thought it was going to be like their christmas visit there--all treats and petting and plenty of snuggly naps with aunt addie.

hah! instead, our two pudgy cuties will be put through their paces at aunt addie's boot camp, with plenty of exercise and healthy portions of food, no more all day all-you-can- eat kitty banquets they have been accustomed to at the coffee klatch.

addie, i trust you guys are all settled in at your place by now.:) good luck with those two and the challenges ahead. listen, i forgot to ask you before, but i hope you have a way to get a starting weight on the kitties, so you can chart their weight loss progress. just be extra careful with buttons. she tried to scratch me when i attempted to weigh her the other day. but i think she is more gentle with you, not letting out her nails like she does with me, the wild little tiger....:)

i know we'll miss having the cats running around here, they can be most entertaining with their antics and cute ways. but they will benefit from their healthy lifestyle change. the elves will benefit too. with the kitties gone, they will have some time to get better acquainted and adjusted to us humans at the house. i'm hoping the elves will get more comfortable in our company, now that there will only be us and them as the only species around. i am eagerly waiting for the time they will show themselves in my presence.

i think they might be getting used to me a little bit, cause i've seen flashes of movement from time to time, and articles of mine get moved around and strangely rearranged. i think they might be playing with me. i hope so....

alix, the tea towels you left for the elves, is there pink yarn in them? i keep seeing fleeting streaks of pink colored shapes from my side view, visions of pink somethings, dodging here and there across my view momentarily....

are you really feeding our elves speed?:)

Alix, I could've sworn I saw the tea towels in the chicken coop. I would not put it past Myrtle and Harriet to have made a quick trip to Edmonton (they only pretend they can't fly). And, since I have your address on file and Myrtle is very interested in the computer...she could've google mapped how to get there "as the chicken flies" (or did you crochet some magic in so that the tea towels could double as magic carpets)? I thought I saw a flash of yellow and white...

The chicken coop is getting a scrub down this afternoon once the webinar I must attend wraps up. Finally! I have a ton of things to do between now and Saturday when I wing it west.

Last edited:
I only have my kitchen scale. I doubt if either one of them would sit still long enough to get weighed.

But the program has already started. Half bowl for each of them in the morning and a half bowl at night. No more filling up the bowl to the max. They are too happy though. About in the middle of the morning they go to their dishes and try to lick them till there is no more dish. I found a special formula at a pet store for overweight cats.

I took Buttons outside this morning on the leash. She fought like mad on the way to the elevator. So I just picked her up and put her in the basket. For today, I took her down to the end of the property where there is a very large expanse of grass. I kep her on the leash and let her run. She had a blast. After an hour I brought her in, waited for an hour and then brought out her partner in crime. This one took to the leash better than Buttons. I headed for the grass area again. I didn't stay out as long this time. Tomorrow I will bring both of the out and let them play on the grass while still on their leashes. I will have to bring a book with me while they are playing. I am sure they both worked up an appetite. But they still have to wait for their evening meal. I try to feed them every twelve hours.

I love having them here again. I not only have to get the weight off them, but I have to teach them to stop begging everyone they see for food. They are far more active when they are outside in the grass than when they are in the house. They have plenty of toys. If I see them lazing around too much, I get out the laser (for lack of a proper name) light and get them up and moving. They love chasing it around. Every so often I will swing the light up in the air and boy, can they jump. There are no special treats in the house. And they can't get into their food. Unless they learn how to open a closet.

god, addie, i was about to joke to you about it being great timing for you to have the kitties running the boston marathon, having just arrived there yesterday. then, to hear that explosions went off at the marathon site just minutes ago, causing untold injuries, so tragic...stay safe, addie.

Last edited:
god, addie, i was about to joke to you about it being great timing for you to have the kitties running the boston marathon, having just arrived there yesterday. then, to hear that explosions went off at the marathon site just minutes ago, causing untold injuries, so tragic...stay safe, addie.

I will Vit. But again as on 9/11 Boston is in a state of emergency. All flights in and out of Boston have been stopped.

A couple of the injured are facing amputation. And there are two dead. The TV camera showed a really large pool of blood on the sidewalk where the explosions happened. :angel:

Last edited:
I know two people who were running...I'm waiting impatiently to hear they are or are not okay. Our Medical Director and his wife were running.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I know two people who were running...I'm waiting impatiently to hear they are or are not okay. Our Medical Director and his wife were running.

Oh PF I pray that your loved ones are safe.

I know two people who were running...I'm waiting impatiently to hear they are or are not okay. Our Medical Director and his wife were running.[/QUOT

pf, i hope you get good news about your friends in boston real soon. god help our people, keep us safe from evil, and whatever this latest particular brand of hatred is.

i finally turned away from streaming news of the tragic events in boston, and am watching the voice. i must say, that it feels good to get out of my head, and ease myself into music, simple, emotional and true.
pf, i urge you to turn on the voice yourself, if you need to get out of your head too, for awhile....(peace)

Last edited:
Well said Vitauta,

I can't watch the coverage either.

So far its all speculation. I understand that CNN is already blaming this atrocity on "right wing extremists" (never let a crises go to waste)

As for me I'll wait until more is known before I watch the news coverage.

All I know for sure at this point is that some vile, evil and viscious person or persons have decided that the best way to make their point/statement was to blow up innocent men, woman and CHILDREN!

I just feel sick

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom