DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
it's a surprise to be hearing from YOU taxy! aren't you way too young to be remembering kookie? but, you are absolutely right, it was 77 sunset strip. typing route 66 didn't feel quite right, but i didn't know exactly why.:) i shoulda googled it, huh?

thanks, taxy. you're working mighty hard lately, keeping me honest, right?:)

it's a surprise to be hearing from YOU taxy! aren't you way too young to be remembering kookie? but, you are absolutely right, it was 77 sunset strip. typing route 66 didn't feel quite right, but i didn't know exactly why.:) i shoulda googled it, huh?

thanks, taxy. you're working mighty hard lately, keeping me honest, right?:)
Way too young? I don't think so. It ran from 1958 to 1964. It just happened to be a show I remember fairly well, especially the theme song. I took jazz dance for a little while and we used that song. It was very cool. ;)

Thought I'd wander back here with a nightcap beer, if that's alright with you guys? Also have a silly kitty question. Do any of you cat parents have kitties that like egg cartons? Whenever I have one of those pressed cardboard style ones I stomp it flat for the recycling bag. One day I stomped it but didn't pick it up right away...and kitty found it. She now HAS to have one at all times under the small table I have in my kitchen's work area! :LOL: She'll lay on it, paw at it, rub her cheeks on it. Such a silly kitty! :ROFLMAO:

Thought I'd wander back here with a nightcap beer, if that's alright with you guys? Also have a silly kitty question. Do any of you cat parents have kitties that like egg cartons? Whenever I have one of those pressed cardboard style ones I stomp it flat for the recycling bag. One day I stomped it but didn't pick it up right away...and kitty found it. She now HAS to have one at all times under the small table I have in my kitchen's work area! :LOL: She'll lay on it, paw at it, rub her cheeks on it. Such a silly kitty! :ROFLMAO:

kitties and their idiosyncrasies, ya gotta love 'em, right?:) does your kitty tear the egg carton to shreds, or chew on it? one of my cats had this thing for styrofoam cups. i couldn't have them around her. she would reduce a styro cup to a pile of white bits of foam in a matter of minutes. thankfully, she had no interest in eating them, but it certainly was an obsession, the way she went at it, intently ripping and tearing away, getting her teeth stuck, striped little orange head, jerking away at the effort....

No, Shrederik has never shown any particular interest in egg cartons. I think I have one in the recycling bin now. I'll have to see if he wants to play with it. Something else to entertain The Shredster would be good.

He likes tape. Unfortunately, he eats it. We have to be very careful of any pieces of tape. Little weirdos, aren't they? :LOL:

Vit, Kylie is in Adelaide, which is 13.5 hours ahead of us in the eastern time zone. So it's about midnight there now. There are five time zones in Oz.

I don't know if it is because of Kylie but our PBS station has been showing a lot of Aussie documentaries lately. And I am hooked on them. I sure have learned a lot about our sometimes forgotten sixth continent. I love watching the ER in St. Vincent Hospital in Sydney. They have some crazy folks down under. And I am getting lessons in a totally new language. I really have to pay attention to what they are saying. It could be worse. They could be speaking aborignie to me. :angel:

I don't know if it is because of Kylie but our PBS station has been showing a lot of Aussie documentaries lately. And I am hooked on them. I sure have learned a lot about our sometimes forgotten sixth continent. I love watching the ER in St. Vincent Hospital in Sydney. They have some crazy folks down under. And I am getting lessons in a totally new language. I really have to pay attention to what they are saying. It could be worse. They could be speaking aborignie to me. :angel:
Your "ear" will get used to the Aussie English as you keep watching. I'm sure lots of folks had a hard time with some of the Brit English and now hardly notice the difference.

Latté likes kleenx. Luckily she only takes them one at a time. She loves the sound of them ripping, she also likes newspaper for the same reason.

With all the English imports I watch, and having been married to an Englishman with a Scotsman's accent, I learned quite a lot of it. Will I never stop using the word 'nappies' and get back to my American heritage?:angel:

The Kitties

I thought you all might like a report on how they are doing.

Buttons and her friend have lost a bit of weight. I continue to make them excersize. They now want to do it on their own. With some of the weight gone, they are more playful. I will keep them on their reduced intake of food for another week and see if they lose more. Then I will decide whether to give them a small increase for maintenance. If that works, then they will be ready to come home. I know you all miss them. But all of you have to promise to stop feeding them every time you are there. It is just not healthy for them. I took them to the vet for a checkup and she was very happy with their health. She told me to keep doing what I was. They have all their shots. :angel:

you bostonians have a rather famous (infamous):) accent yourselves, addie. i've often wondered how a relatively small region such as new england has managed to produce a distinctive accent like you have there in tiny massachusetts. and you seem to be developing a new sound yourself addie, peppering your bostonian speech, as you are, with an aussie brogue, thanks to public tv....:)

you bostonians have a rather famous (infamous):) accent yourselves, addie. i've often wondered how a relatively small region such as new england has managed to produce a distinctive accent like you have there in tiny massachusetts. and you seem to be developing a new sound yourself addie, peppering your bostonian speech, as you are, with an aussie brogue, thanks to public tv....:)

So true. When I worked in the Financial District in downtown Boston, I would go outside for my lunch and sit on a bench. I would see confused tourists and offer to help. I had to be ever mindful to talk slow (we love to talk fast) and pronounce my words carefully. Otherwise they wouldn't understand a word I said. I still don't pronouce my R's and never will. We have more or less hung on to our original English accent. If you listen to the Queen's family talk they pronouce a lot of words the same way the Bostonians do. It is that upper class accent of the English language. We also have our own words for certain items. You soda or pop is our tonic. And if a word ends with an "R" you will never hear us say it. Chowdah is Chowdah. No arguement please. Just learn to say it our way.

And having been married to an Englishman, it more or less enhanced my Boston accent. I still use words that he used. I found it was easier than to try and get him to change. As a result, they became my words also. :angel:

One of the idiocyncrocies of our accent in that we tend to give two sylabills to a one word syllabil. Such as beer. Be-ah! Totally confuses the tourist trade. I find it very hard to pronouce my "R"s. I have to use the muscles at the back of my throat. Have you ever noticed that the English do not open their mouth wide when they talk? Well neither do Bostonians. We are stingy with our language. We barely move our lips when talking. All our efforts to talk come from the front part on our mouth on the hard palate. :angel:

.....I still don't pronouce my R's and never will. We have more or less hung on to our original English accent. If you listen to the Queen's family talk they pronouce a lot of words the same way the Bostonians do. It is that upper class accent of the English language.... :angel:

Come on Addie and admit it, you "use" your Rs. You guys just save them up to tag onto the end of words ending in "a". Isn't that the "idear"? :LOL: And for an area that worked so hard to separate itself from the Mother Country it amuses me at how "English" Boston and it's nearby suburbs act. In my observations over the 13 years we've been here the closer to Bahstun the more propah the speech pattern is. All I've picked up in all those years is to soften the word "about", sounding just a wee more Canadian than Cleveland.

you bostonians have a rather famous (infamous):) accent yourselves, addie. ...

It's really funny when you watch the TV news up here though. The reporters almost always have no trace of an accent, sounding more like someone like me, people who grew up along the North Coast from roughly greater Erie PA (or maybe as far east as Buffalo) to Chicago. That region has very little of an accent. In fact, a friend of mine from the Columbus area went to broadcaster's school to learn proper reporter pronunciation. When he talked "regular" you could tell he was from central Ohio (the state starts to break into minute accent differences around Akron) but when he put on his radio voice he sounded just like...me! Seems like the "Cleveland accent" is NO accent! :LOL: I'm like the sliced white sandwich bread of languages...:(

kitties and their idiosyncrasies, ya gotta love 'em, right?:) does your kitty tear the egg carton to shreds, or chew on it?....

Nope, doesn't chew on it. Just lays on it. When the novelty wears off with a new one I sprinkle a little cat nip on it. Then it becomes her best friend until it falls apart! We go through enough eggs so that she can always have a new one when the one she has gets too loved up.

...He likes tape. Unfortunately, he eats it. We have to be very careful of any pieces of tape. Little weirdos, aren't they? :LOL:

Oh, my kitty is a BIG weirdo! Not in size, just personality. She doesn't play with tape but she gets a rubber band for short periods of time - only when I can watch her, then take it away, because I fear that one would choke her. She also loves those velcro straps that come around some vegetables - they use it on romaine here to bundle the leaves together. We'll wind one up into a ball and she'll chase it for hours! Then spends the rest of the night looking for a lap to sleep on. ;)

where are you Voice fans, who is going to watch the Live Playoffs with me tonight? team shakira and team blake are up to the plate next....:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom