DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
now, this is interesting, pf. specifically, what was it about a floor of alzheimer's patients that was attractive to you? i don't think this is obviously apparent to many folks, especially if a family member is going through the ravages of this disease....

No idea, but I enjoy interacting with them, I enjoy making their lives as full of good experiences as possible. I have expanded my horizons when I decided to work End-of-Life and Rehab. The Rehab part, it's fun to get folks back on their feet and send them home. End-of-Life is...fulfilling, I feel privileged to be allowed to take care of folks at this point in their lives. Now I am onto a more administrative role, making sure they get the benefits they are due from their insurance and Medicare. I have, on average, 50 patients a day, only 8 of them I need to see each day. Basically, I am a care manager for my folks. Love it.

...End-of-Life is...fulfilling, I feel privileged to be allowed to take care of folks at this point in their lives.... Basically, I am a care manager for my folks. Love it.

No, you are an Angel! Had it not been for the hospice nurse that lovingly took care of my Mom AND me in Mom's last days with us I would have been a bigger basket case than I normally am. You deserve a huge
shug_bighug_100-100.gif

Hospital is my middle name. I think I have some stock in them. But in all the times I have spent there, I have only seen one nurse that was in the wrong profession. I have never heard a nurse say that the hours are too long. They work a 12 hour day in Boston. I have never had a nurse that took her sweet time answering the call button. Even if I just water my water pitcher filled, they did it gladly. They never passed the request off to the Aide that was supposed to do it. Often my nurse will just come in and ask me if there is anything I need or want.

Sorry doctors. I would rather have a nurse looking after me than you. They probably know more than you do. They certainly show more care for the patient than most doctors. It is not just clinical mumbo jumbo for them. The patient who has congestive heart failure has a name. And the nurse can tell them that without looking at the chart. The nurse knows that lying on a sheet that is wrinkled is very painful for the elderly. The nurse is aware if the patient is eating or not. Does the doctor really read the chart? I doubt it. They come into the room during rounds and ask the patient what the problem is.

In defense of the doctors, I realize that they too have long hours. But the days of 36 hour shifts have been long gone. They do have a lounge or a sleep room where they can go to catch some winks when it is quiet. Thye nurses don't. Most of the doctors are still in their learning stage. The ones with the short white coats are in their first year. Once they get their long lab coats their hours increase along with more responsibility. I have found that most doctors need to develop more compassion for their patients.

:flowers::flowers::clap::clap: Go Nurses! :angel:

Last edited:
I worked at a medical school for 14 years and have had more than my share of surgeries, hospitalizations and emergency room visits. It's not the doctor's job to take care of patients - it's the nurses' job. The doctor's job is to diagnose and develop a treatment plan, then monitor how it's working. And they do read the charts. Everyone who comes in asks the same questions because sometimes patients forget to say something or will tell a nurse something but not a doctor. The goal is to get as much information as possible in order to do the best job possible. Everyone should add every bit of info to the chart.

Also, the short coats are for medical students. Once they graduate and become residents, they start wearing the long coats. The school where I worked started a white-coat-burning ceremony a few years ago to honor their time as students. It takes place the week before graduation.

If your doctors don't know your name, I'd get new doctors.

Last edited:
I know what the short coats are for. I attended my son's ceremony when he got his at Yale. I left rehab just to attend it. I also had the priveledge of putting his long lab coat on him when he took his oath. I did it with some difficulty. He stands six feet, I stand at four feet eight inches. :angel:

i always found myself rushing home at the end of the day to pee. i never had time from early morning through late afternoon of a busy workday to fit in a bathroom break, but during the commute home, i would get this urgent s.o.s. from my bladder....i wish i had that bladder today.:)

i always found myself rushing home at the end of the day to pee. i never had time from early morning through late afternoon of a busy workday to fit in a bathroom break, but during the commute home, i would get this urgent s.o.s. from my bladder....i wish i had that bladder today.:)

Yes, my body always says, "Oh good we can relax." I'm screaming, "Wait, wait we aren't home yet!!!"

I also find myself getting very anxious and can't sit down at work...I'm so much better after a visit to the big girls room.

american baking competition, hosted by jeff foxworthy--it's a new show and it's on right now, on cbs. c'mon guys, you know you're not doing anything anyway... looking yummy....

Last edited:
Yes, my body always says, "Oh good we can relax." I'm screaming, "Wait, wait we aren't home yet!!!"

I also find myself getting very anxious and can't sit down at work...I'm so much better after a visit to the big girls room.

When I was a little girl my Mom would always make sure I made a pit stop before we went anywhere. All of us in the family did. Guess it was a tradition. :LOL: Anyway, that's how I've always been since, always making a stop before getting into the car. Even if things aren't urgent, right before heading to the car I make what I call a pre-emptive stop so we can drive further along our route once we hit the road.

Why is it though when you're home or at work you can go for hours between breaks but get into the car for a trip and you gotta stop along the way (45 minutes from home for us and we KNOW I'll want to stop :ROFLMAO: ).

When I was a little girl my Mom would always make sure I made a pit stop before we went anywhere. All of us in the family did. Guess it was a tradition. :LOL: Anyway, that's how I've always been since, always making a stop before getting into the car. Even if things aren't urgent, right before heading to the car I make what I call a pre-emptive stop so we can drive further along our route once we hit the road.

Why is it though when you're home or at work you can go for hours between breaks but get into the car for a trip and you gotta stop along the way (45 minutes from home for us and we KNOW I'll want to stop :ROFLMAO: ).

Road vibration.:) After the first hour I'm back to good for three hours.

Morning all! I stopped by for a cuppa before the rest of my day gets going. Daughter #2 and I grumped at one another already this morning so I need to turn my day around. I swung by Today's Menu but was far too late to start the dinner thread, I'll try tomorrow (tonight!) Today I've got a million things to do, but only one project I really WANT to work on. I might whiz through the chores and try to get some work done on my fun project before I leave for work. What's up for everyone around here?

Hey kitty cats, long time no see. Those house elves treating you right?

Morning all! I stopped by for a cuppa before the rest of my day gets going. Daughter #2 and I grumped at one another already this morning so I need to turn my day around. I swung by Today's Menu but was far too late to start the dinner thread, I'll try tomorrow (tonight!) Today I've got a million things to do, but only one project I really WANT to work on. I might whiz through the chores and try to get some work done on my fun project before I leave for work. What's up for everyone around here?

Hey kitty cats, long time no see. Those house elves treating you right?

don't you hate the way those 'grumps' make you feel? it's not so bad if you can let it blow over quickly. i wish i was wired that way. instead, i tend to 'stew' over every little spat for way too long, replaying it fifty different ways in my head, what i should have said, who was 'right', how i will make up (or not)...my best bet is to choose my battles in the first place, cause acts two and three never go well for me....

what is your 'fun project' lexi, do tell....:)

do y'all know that we have National Doughnut Day coming up this friday? HELLO, Coffee and Donuts--we should be at the forefront of this one, here at the coffee klatch!!! who has a special donut recipe for our donut party, june 7th? can't give up the recipe? that's okay--just bring donuts!:)

Knock knock, Can I come in? Is anyone there? I brought a good lunch. You can read about it on the "what's for lunch?" thread. Just came in from the garden. I have been planting flowers today. They look pretty, but take a lot of work. Just relaxing now.

Oh these kitties are cute. Don't worry I'm not sharing lunch with them. :wacko:

I was getting some serious pain in my back. I thought it might be the start of another heart attack. Nope. Blood pressure right on spot. Every time I took a breath, it hurt big time. Finally figured it out. I have pleurisy. It has been years and eons since I had this. It has been about 40 years since I had it this bad. I have it in both lungs. So now all I can do is lay down on my back (I hate that position) since I don't feel the pain. Have fun. :angel:

You go ahead and lay down. The kitties and I will take care of you. Please remember to call for help if it gets serious. Sorry you are down. I will share lunch another time with you. It doesn't sound like you will want to chat or eat. Oh, Addie, I think you fell asleep. Have a nice rest.

Back
Top Bottom