DC's own coffee klatch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But, it's not bad coffee. It just isn't my wonderful coffee.

Then that makes it bad for you. Take it back. You will regret it if you don't.

Since we are here in the Koffee Klatch, I am playing with the kitties. I love the fact that they never grow up as long as they live here. They will always be kitties. Specially Buttons. The house elves are doing a great job taking care of them.

:( Poor Teddy. Today Spike was walking him and really close to where they were walking, an oil tanker blew three of its tires. The kind of tires you see on an 18-wheeler. It sounded like an explosion that didn't want to stop. Spike had to pick him up, take off his T Shirt and wrap him up and hold him as close as he could. He shook for at least ten minutes. He didn't stop until Spike got him home and brought him upstairs to his bedroom and put him under the blankets. Spike had to lay down with him. When he came here tonight he jumped right up on my bed as soon as he came in the door. Something he never does. I put him under the blanket and he stayed there for a good five minutes. I was surprised until Spike told me what happened. Then when he was ready to get down, I had some warm smoked shoulder for him. Now normally he won't eat if anyone is watching him. He ate it right out of my hand. He doesn't even do that with Spike. That 'explosion' really shook him up. I hope he is back to normal by tomorrow. I love him more when he is cantankerous and totally disobedient. He didn't even run to the door and bark his head off when my neighbor came home. That is the Teddy I know. My poor heart is broken that he went through that. :angel:

The oil tanker was full. They had to call a heavy duty truck to jack the tanker up and change the tires. The fire department had a truck standing nearby for "just in case."

I live near the oil farms that hold all the fuel for Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut. Every day the tanker ships come up the Chelsea Creek and drop off their load into one of the giant tanks that can hold as much as one million gallons of fuel. Only once has their ever been an explosion. There was a Mobil filling terminal that the big oil tanker use that fill the tanks for gas stations. A truck had just filled up and was at the exit gate. The tanker exploded and I was living on Falcon Street at the time. Everyone's windows got blown out and a couple of home really close were knock down by the explosion. I threw the kids to the floor. Fortunately none of us were near a window. We all stayed on the floor for about five minutes. I knew it was an explosion from the oil farm, but I didn't know what blew up. When there was no second explosion, we all got up. The driver never knew what hit him. That one spot has bad memories for me. There is a brick wall surrounding that filling terminal. It is the wall that the car my sister's youngest son was in that slipped on a patch of ice one week after her house fire. Five kids were killed in that crash including her son. :angel:

Here ya go taxy, a wallpaper border for your kitchen:

14187.jpg

That is so true CG ;)

First day off after a long rotation and a double shift last night. Ugh. I'm on coffee #2 and I'm watching the clouds blow away and the sun start to shine. Going to be a lovely day today.

huh, alix hallo girlfriend! seems like you are forever having these long rotations at work, and we don't hear a peep out of you for weeks at a time.... then, you breeze in here bright as sunshine, with a dazzling 'howdydo,' for the tribe here, maybe a quick cuppa something...next thing you know, alix is flying right back outta here, with happy plans for that stretch of free days ahead. and, so long lexi--we won't see hide nor hair of her again until after the next set of double work shifts and long rotations are over....one good thing, we can always count on her leaving us well provided with generous pans of sweet special numnums of some kind or other, before taking off again. something to remember her by, i suppose. alix. you gotta love her....:)

First day off after a long rotation and a double shift last night. Ugh. I'm on coffee #2 and I'm watching the clouds blow away and the sun start to shine. Going to be a lovely day today.

Not here. We have rain coming down so heavy there are moments when you can't see through it. :angel:

Alrighty. I've done my dirty work for the day (cleaned out the eavestroughs) and I am now enjoying my first coffee. I pondered briefly whether it would be better to clean the eavestroughs before or after coffee. I can't always guarantee a clear mind before the caffeine hits so I was a bit worried. However, the incentive of coffee waiting for me made me get up off my lazy arse and do the stupid job. I feel quite accomplished now and its only 1025am!

Our brat cat is being very sweet with the dog this morning. She is chirruping at him and rubbing her cheeks on his nose. A nice change from biting the older cat's bum.

Watch So You Think You Can Dance: Tucker & Courtney: Top 8 Perform online | Free | Huluo

who doesn't love a love story? even better, one with a happy ending? courtney and tucker on sytycd. courtney choreographed the number. she just recently came back to sytycd. she has MS. her dancing is flawless, fierce and free....hey, stick around for a bit if you can. more great two minute dance clips to watch. see if you can pick a favorite. i picked six of 'em--all favorites.:)

Last edited:
Having an iced coffee after dinner. Still pretty freaking hot here.

How are my kitties doing? I miss Buttons. I need to take some time and visit with them. Right now I am a bit concerned with what my doctor found today. He thinks I broke a rib just under my breast. At least there is no lump. I am going Friday for some X-ray workup. And I am Vitamin D deficiency. That was a surprise. All my numbers are right on the mark. Including my sugar readings and A1c. :angel:

Kitties are well. They swarmed me when I came in (as usual) and tried to tell me they were starved and ill treated. I got a little snuggle time when I sat down but got ditched pretty quickly when the birds started arriving at the feeder outside. Those two little beasties sat and chirruped at the birds for a long time. Cute.

About vitamin D Addie, up here in the north we are all severely deficient most of the time. I've been taking 2000-4000 iu every day for nearly a year now and you know what? Not one single virus. Not a cold, flu, not an episode of SAD, nothing. Working where I do, that is darned miraculous as the kids bring through myriad virus strains daily! My coworkers were all sick as dogs around Christmas with a nasty flu bug. One poor guy was off for six weeks til his lungs were better.

I did some reading about it, and so far, they can't seem to find a toxic level of vitamin D. There is some speculation that the daily recommended dose is just enough to keep us from being sick all the time and that we actually could use a lot more. Since its a water soluble vitamin, your body just flushes any unused portions out. Cool beans.

Anyway, enough blather from me. Just thought I'd share my experiences with you.

Kitties are well. They swarmed me when I came in (as usual) and tried to tell me they were starved and ill treated. I got a little snuggle time when I sat down but got ditched pretty quickly when the birds started arriving at the feeder outside. Those two little beasties sat and chirruped at the birds for a long time. Cute.

About vitamin D Addie, up here in the north we are all severely deficient most of the time. I've been taking 2000-4000 iu every day for nearly a year now and you know what? Not one single virus. Not a cold, flu, not an episode of SAD, nothing. Working where I do, that is darned miraculous as the kids bring through myriad virus strains daily! My coworkers were all sick as dogs around Christmas with a nasty flu bug. One poor guy was off for six weeks til his lungs were better.

I did some reading about it, and so far, they can't seem to find a toxic level of vitamin D. There is some speculation that the daily recommended dose is just enough to keep us from being sick all the time and that we actually could use a lot more. Since its a water soluble vitamin, your body just flushes any unused portions out. Cool beans.

Anyway, enough blather from me. Just thought I'd share my experiences with you.

i agree wholeheartedly with your vitamin D recommendation, alix. i've been from a to z with vitamin supplements over the years. all i take anymore, is a multiple vitamin and D-2000iu daily. i no longer take vitamiins A, E, Bs, calcium, etc, etc,.... the benefits of vitamin D are so huge and vast for someone like me, who doesn't get enough natural sunlight, that it merits a permanent place on my bedside stand.

Last edited:
i agree wholeheartedly with your vitamin D recommendation, alix. i've been from a to z with vitamin supplements over the years. all i take anymore, is a multiple vitamin and D-2000iu daily. i no longer take vitamiins A, E, Bs, calcium, etc, etc,.... the benefits of vitamin D are so huge and vast for someone like me, who doesn't get enough natural sunlight, that it merits a permanent place on my bedside stand.

I don't do vitamins much either. I get enough calcium in my diet, ditto most of the other vitamins. If you eat fruits and veggies in all the colors of the rainbow, you're usually covered. Vitamin D however, only comes from the sun. So, living up here in the Great White North, I need to supplement. I do vitamin C sometimes too, and the occasional MSM tablet if I've injured myself!

Vitauta, what have you been up to lately? I haven't seen you posting as much as usual.

Yikes! I must have mixed up my readings about Vitamin D and C. Good catch lady. I'm off to an appointment, but I'll see if I can find that article about not finding a toxic level.

Yikes! I must have mixed up my readings about Vitamin D and C. Good catch lady. I'm off to an appointment, but I'll see if I can find that article about not finding a toxic level.
Even though vitamin C is water soluble, megadoses can cause problems:

Vitamin C megadosage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Among other things, it can cause systemic conditioning ("rebound scurvy"). When I lived in Denmark in the early '70s I was told a story about that.

Apparently, at one time Danish breweries added vitamin C to the beer. Brewery workers were allowed to drink as much beer as they wanted (on the job) as long as they didn't get drunk. Then the breweries stopped adding vitamin C to the beer and a number of brewery workers came down with scurvy. Those that did had been drinking enough beer to get megadoses of vitamin C. :ohmy: Once they figured out the problem, they just gave those workers vitamin C supplements and slowly weaned them off the excess.

Back
Top Bottom