Dealing with Airline, need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
We, my wife and I, were planing on going to some friends wedding. Bought the tickets. The mother of the groom just called me. The wedding has been postponed, indefinitely.

Darn. What to do now? Tickets were crazy expensive. Over $500 each.

Does anybody know how to deal with airlines in the way so we do not use money/tickets? :(

Charlie, some tickets are non-refundable. If you call the airline and explain the problem, they may give you a credit that you can use to buy tickets for a different trip. These credits often have a time limit, such as one year.

First, did you buy the tickets directly from the airline, or from a third party, like Expedia? That makes a big difference.

If you bought directly from the airline, they may give you a credit toward a future flight, but most likely, not a cash refund. Just call the airline's reservation number, and tell them the situation.

If you bought the thickets through a third party, you will have to work through that third party. They actually bought the seats on your flights. You bought the seats from the third party. They may have some leverage, due to the sheer number of seats they buy. But, there is no guarantee.

I do about a hundred flights a year, and sometimes have to change flights due to customer requests. At best, I have to pay a change fee that can be pretty expensive. I pass the fee on to my customer, so it's not a big deal.

So, unless you paid for a refundable ticket, which usually costs more, it is unlikely you will get a cash refund. Even with a refundable ticket, the airline's rules may only allow you a credit for future travel. There may also bee a fee. Every airline is different.

Good luck. CD

Thanks. Yeah, I bought directly from airline. I do not expect return. Credit would be great.

Even non-refundable tickets can be swapped for a credit - there is sometimes a processing fee (like 25.00) but it's better than a total loss of your tickets. Be prepared for a little push back from customer service but in the end they will work something out for you.

Thanks. Yeah, I bought directly from airline. I do not expect return. Credit would be great.

Ah, good. You can deal directly with the airline. As already mentioned, you will probably just get a credit towards a future flight, and there may be a fee, but it is better than nothing.

CD

Ah, good. You can deal directly with the airline. As already mentioned, you will probably just get a credit towards a future flight, and there may be a fee, but it is better than nothing.

CD

Success. I called airline and explained that this as the wedding cancellation and we, the family and friends, are devastated as it is. and loosing so much money is just an added pain. Person was supper nice. i got credit, and my wife ticket was miles , so she got all her miles back. I need to fly anyway in a few weeks. i will use the credit. Thank you everybody.

i still have to deal with AA, for a portion of the ticket. It was a multi city travel. But that was only $150 bucks, compare to $500, it's already nothing. Besides, even if they give me credit, I'd probably never use it.

Success. I called airline and explained that this as the wedding cancellation and we, the family and friends, are devastated as it is. and loosing so much money is just an added pain. Person was supper nice. i got credit, and my wife ticket was miles , so she got all her miles back. I need to fly anyway in a few weeks. i will use the credit. Thank you everybody.

i still have to deal with AA, for a portion of the ticket. It was a multi city travel. But that was only $150 bucks, compare to $500, it's already nothing. Besides, even if they give me credit, I'd probably never use it.

Glad to hear it worked out reasonably well for you.

CD

Where Delta was very nice, American Airline was not. So I lost one leg of the trip. At least it was not as expensive as Delta. But $150 is $150. I’ll try never to fly AA ever again.

Back
Top Bottom