"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2006, 08:33 AM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
I can say this much though, if anyone ever did anything like this to my daughter I would only call 911 to come clean up the mess and wave to the crowd as I headed to the chair.

~ Raven ~
Hear! Hear!

Not having kids yet wouldn't matter. If I see this type of thing happen to anyone, that really rattles my cage, and this Big Dog is gonna fight when you rattle his cage!

Raven, I am confident you wouldn't be alone. Minnesota is not a capital punishment state, but if ever put in such a predicament (sp?), they'll be locking me up for a while. I think Murder 1 is 25 to life, but then again, under the circumstances, I think it could reasonably be defended as manslaughter 2, as a passion of the moment. Depending on your state law, and your defense attorney, execution could be avoided. You'd likely serve some time in the clink, but a good defense should be able to bring the charges down. While the atrociousness (sp?) of the crime against the child spawned your action and commission of a crime, it was committed under extreme duress of the rage spawned from seeing the crime against the child.

Besides, if you live in a capital state, you just saved them a ton of money from having to go through the steps to execute the $%&@#* that violated the child!

Old 03-16-2006, 08:56 AM   #12
Head Chef

Assuming of course, that they can round up 12 people who are even willing to convict you in the first place...

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 09:23 AM   #13
Master Chef

I don't think that I could willing help convict someone that got rid of someone that did such a horrendous thing to an innocent child. I would rather give them a medal!!!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
I've heard rumors that since most convicts are fathers as well, all you have to do is start the rumor that someone was convicted of a crime against a child and that person won't last 24 hours.
~ Raven ~
The inmates just recently killed a child molester at the Big Muddy Prison, right down the road from us.
Old 03-16-2006, 09:59 AM   #15
Sous Chef

I couldn't even finish reading the article- Praying hard for those abused babies and even harder that there will be punishment for the sub humans that commit these acts.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:25 AM   #16
Head Chef

Stemming from Constance's post, my education has taught me that even hardened criminals have lines that are uncrossible (sp?). She's right, when a child molester finds his way into the clink, the guards usually have to provide some sort of segregation/separation because if not, the molester's days to live are numbered. It's amazing to think that hardened criminals incarcerated for rape, domestic violence, murder, and whatever else still draw the line when it comes to children and molestation. They don't have issues with what they did, but child molestation is even too far for them.

Goes to show even hardened criminals still have some sort of conscious.
Old 03-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Raven, I am confident you wouldn't be alone. Minnesota is not a capital punishment state, but if ever put in such a predicament ...
Hey, Dog if something like this were to happen, I will distinctly (sp?) remeber that we spend the whole day and evening cooking together some elaborate meal in my kitchen!

Sick bustards desrve to die just on suspicion that they were doing something like that. let their lawyer proove them not guilty afterwards. i'm sure there will be some scum from ACLU defending their rights, grrrrr
Old 03-16-2006, 04:16 PM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Hey, Dog if something like this were to happen, I will distinctly (sp?) remeber that we spend the whole day and evening cooking together some elaborate meal in my kitchen!
You know, I seem to remember this too, CD! Hee hee hee . . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Sick bustards desrve to die just on suspicion that they were doing something like that. let their lawyer proove them not guilty afterwards. i'm sure there will be some scum from ACLU defending their rights, grrrrr
This taps a part of law enforcement that I struggle with. In my Constitutional Law class, we had a guest speaker come in that had appealed a case all the way to the Supreme Court, and wound up winning at the SC level. He knew his client was guilty as sin, but rights were allegedly (and actually in the High Court's eye) violated, and the guy walked. I don't recall the actual crime, but it was a crime against a person.

Cops have it tough going after sick $#%^*@ like child molesters. They want to get these poor excuses for humans off the street just as much as anyone else, and truthfully sometimes rules, regulations, and laws get bent a bit. Sometime that's the only way to actually get the incriminating evidence. But technically, you violated someone's rights, and if they get an attorney with an agenda, they get off committing a felony because a right was violated. Yet ironically, once convicted, they no longer have a multitude of rights. I'm a proponent for the protection of rights, and the concept of innocent until proven guilty, but the police have developed a keen sense over time as to determining the validity of one's statement regarding a crime. It's a very tough line to walk, because I'm sure we all want our rights protected, but wouldn't be offended if the rights of a molester were violated in order to arrest the molester. The Constitution doesn't differentiate (sp?) between innocents like you and I, and the guilty molesters and other criminals.

By no means am I supporting abuse of power by law enforcement. Tune ups, a la NYPD Blue style, should not be tolerated. Coersion, what is it's actual definition? What I think coersion is may be different than you. Give a defense attorney the opportunity of possible coersion, and watch the DA drop your case like a hot potato! Yet statement coaching and other types of coersion are permitted.

I should get off my soap box. Sorry.
Old 03-16-2006, 04:56 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

the excuse many of these people use is that they are sick because they were themselves molested as children. (they only admit being sick when caught). it then becomes a vicious and disgusting cycle, repeating itself generation by generation.

so, even tho i know that you are supposed to be able to forgive anything, that there's always extenuating circumstances, this one goes too far for me. this isn't a cureable disease.

i say if convicted, castration with imprisonment for life, or the chair are the only fair punishments. the criminal gets to choose.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:14 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Yes, I know it's wrong to hate and want revenge..
I never worry about that in cases like these.