Dear Walmart Shoppers - LOL!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please do not check out and discover you don't have enough money to pay for your items!:mad: Then please don't start deciding which items you really don't need, having them deducted from the total and letting your unsupervised kids run amuck while holding up the line!:mad:

Guess what. Some of us are on a tight budget. I always keep a tally of my total so I don't go over. Sometimes I do and that sucks. Its embarrassing enough to have put stuff back with out you judging me. Im sorry if my kids bother you. Go shop someplace else.

I bet you are the one guy who has to hold up the line and write a check. JERK.
http://www.discusscooking.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Guess what. Some of us are on a tight budget. I always keep a tally of my total so I don't go over. Sometimes I do and that sucks. Its embarrassing enough to have put stuff back with out you judging me. Im sorry if my kids bother you. Go shop someplace else.

Really? I'm sure you fill two carts full of stuff totaling over $1000.00 and only have $600.00. Then you hold up the line, while letting your 5 or 6 kids run around, for 20 minutes, passing random items back to the cashier to deduct until you get down to what you can actually pay for. I'm not talking about a few dollars short. Hell, I've even paid for items for folks when that has happened. To add insult to injury, the money they were spending came from taxpayers. When we go to the grocery, we pay with a debit card drawn on our bank account, with money we earn. I never go to buy anything unless I have the money to pay for it. I also don't get in express lanes with more than the allotted number of items, nor do I use coupons in these lanes.:mad: So if that is considered being a JERK, then that is me!;):ROFLMAO:

http://www.discusscooking.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Hold up there, honey. I started this thread with tongue in cheek, pointing out crazy things people do at Walmart through my weird sense of humor. People know I'm like that, and of course things happen.

That's why I always carry my wallet in my pocket at the register. Some folks just need a few dollars, and I've got it. I've been at Walmart for 8 years, and I know who's struggling and who isn't.

If you came through my line, and I see you're struggling (kids or no kids), I'll get my debit card or cash or whatever you need and pay the difference if it's under $30 and you've paid the majority of it. This serves four purposes: You get the food you and your family need, it saves you the embarrassment of taking items off, you might become a regular customer, and we don't have to put it back. And no, I don't always get paid back, and usually I refuse it anyway.

Craig meant EXTREMES, Farmer. You're not the type to run up a $400 grocery bill, run $150 short, then look at the others in line and yell, "Well? Ain't nobody gonna help me?" That's just arrogance and entitlement rearing its ugly head.

I'm on a tight budget, too, Farmer. I recently had a brain clot and although insurance helps, it doesn't pay for everything. I understand budgets.

And I do apologize if you thought my letter was aimed at you. That was never its intent, nor was it my intent.

Surely you've seen some crazy things happen in a store too, right?

And you were referring to the check writer as a jerk and not Craig. I got that. At least I hope that was the intent.

Really? I'm sure you fill two carts full of stuff totaling over $1000.00 and only have $600.00. Then you hold up the line, while letting your 5 or 6 kids run around, for 20 minutes, passing random items back to the cashier to deduct until you get down to what you can actually pay for. I'm not talking about a few dollars short. Hell, I've even paid for items for folks when that has happened. To add insult to injury, the money they were spending came from taxpayers. When we go to the grocery, we pay with a debit card drawn on our bank account, with money we earn. I never go to buy anything unless I have the money to pay for it. I also don't get in express lanes with more than the allotted number of items, nor do I use coupons in these lanes.:mad: So if that is considered being a JERK, then that is me!;):ROFLMAO:

Craig, he meant the check writer was a jerk, not you.

I've seen all that you described and more. People do run short.

I have a funny story about running short one day. What a disaster! I went to our local Mom & Pop grocery to buy a $3 dog toy for a neighborhood kid with a new puppy, and a box of mac & cheese. The bill came to less than $5, and I opened my wallet and ... ***GASP***

I had swapped out wallets the day before. There was my license, AARP card, insurance cards, AAA card ... everything BUT my debit and credit cards. I was in the middle of switching wallets and hadn't gotten to that compartment yet when the phone rang and something else happened. I forgot I wasn't done!

Luckily a manager came by, and said, "Oh, let her have them. She gave $10 to a customer last month to help her out."

Wasn't that cool?

But no, I left the items, ran home, finished putting everything in the new wallet, then went back and paid for it. That was so embarrassing!

But there are definitely those extreme cases where it's just crazy. You were saying about food stamps -- on the other hand, it's sweet:

A young couple were struggling with a new baby, and they sold what they could and needed assistance. They were on food stamps for about 6 months, and one day she came through my line, used up the balance on her food stamps, paid the rest on her debit card, and handed her food stamp card to me.

"Can you recycle that or cut it up? My husband got a second job and we don't need it any more."

That look on her face lit up the entire store and made my week!

One time I mistakenly got into an express line. It was in the middle of the regular lanes and I had a full load in my carriage. The girl was nice enough to ring me through. When she was all done, she quietly told me I was in the express line for 20 items or less. Fortunately it wasn't even eight o'clock in the morning yet. So the store wasn't crowded. The store has 38 registers. Two of them are express lanes with the one in the middle. They have since put that one in the middle down at the end where the other two are. I was told that I was not the first person who had made the same mistake.

But I am that person with my EBT card. I get my food stamps on one day and the next day I get my SS money. So I have to pay cash for my non-food items. I also have to pay cash for any food that is over my food stamps allotment. So knowing that my check will not clear until the next day, I have to write a check. I have a courtesy card so there is no problem with them accepting my check. Fortunately for the folks behind me, I have already written out the check the night before and only have to insert the amount.

So yes, I am one of the folks who hold up the line somewhat. But by the time I get done shopping and through checking out, I just want to get the heck out of there. I am sorry if I am holding you up. But on my income and the funds allotted to me for food, I have no choice. Also, with today's climate, I very rarely see children running amok in the store. Too often we read about a child that was molested in the rest room, groped, or some other really offensive behavior by a stranger. Parents keep their children right at their side. In fact I have seen one mother (on more than one occasion) with a harness on her little girl. Smart mother. The little girl was too big for the child's seat. :angel:

Here's a customer service story for you...I received a pressure cooker from Macy's here at the house yesterday. Today another one was delivered to my shop. I don't steal but getting in touch with Macy's about this was a huge PITA. They don't have a "contact us" button. You have to call and pres 1 and press 2 and press the order number and then they transfer you to some poor son of a b1tch in India.

I had to wait while he looked my order up. The guy I got thought that I wanted to make a simple return. Rather annoyed I said, "listen, I paid for 1 and received two. I'm trying to do you guys a favor". then he talked to his supervisor who told him to tell me to take it back to my local Macy's as if there were a Macy's in Moselle MS. Poor guy, he's in India. He didn't know.

Then he had to talk to his supervisor again. They will send me a shipping label and also send pick up for the item. They are giving me a $20. gift card because I'm an honest person.

The guy said, "you are our number one customer." I said, "Yeah, right...how many times a day do you say that?" I said, "You have a hard job. I could never do it. You did well". I think I made him feel good.

Last edited:
One time I mistakenly got into an express line. It was in the middle of the regular lanes and I had a full load in my carriage. The girl was nice enough to ring me through. When she was all done, she quietly told me I was in the express line for 20 items or less. Fortunately it wasn't even eight o'clock in the morning yet. So the store wasn't crowded. The store has 38 registers. Two of them are express lanes with the one in the middle. They have since put that one in the middle down at the end where the other two are. I was told that I was not the first person who had made the same mistake........ :angel:

Addie, wondering where you shop that has 38 check-outs/registers....?

Addie (and others),

Those of you that live in areas that don't have unattended children running around are lucky. I've almost been knocked down a time or 2 by unattended running children in the grocery store, had to dodge or stop the cart short innumerable times because of children running in front of me either unattended completely or attended by a parent who apparently couldn't be bothered. More often than I care to remember, we've been in restaurants where children were allowed to run around loose and/or slam themselves repeatedly into the booth back, causing it to smack one or the other of us. Let's not get into the screaming ones that are allowed to scream and scream without 1 of the parents getting up to take them out. We've even been in movie theaters where children were allowed to play with phones or tablets, one even had the flashlight functioning on her parent's phone and was waving it around. Believe it or not, someone had to actually say something out loud for everyone to hear to get the flashlight function turned off. This was NOT a movie appropriate for a small child.

When our DD was a child, she behaved when we were out in public. She knew there would be consequences if she made a butt out of herself. We took her wherever we went, even fine dining places, and she acted like a little lady. Our DGD's also behave when out in public. Our DD puts up with even less than I did.

It's not the children I blame, it's the parents. We live in a very large metropolitan area so you'd think parents would be more careful but some just aren't for whatever reason.

And, sorry, but phones now have a calculator, you can always round up to the next dollar and add things up in your head to make sure you have enough money, and there's always pen and paper if you are running short. I personally would NEVER go to check out and not have enough money. I'd rather have some left over and have to go back to get something. And, yes, I've had to count pennies very closely when I was younger and wasn't always able to get everything I wanted.

...Rather annoyed I said, "listen, I paid for 1 and received two. I'm trying to do you guys a favor"....
Honesty - the best policy. Good for you! BTW, a long time ago I got a duplicate of something I had ordered. So long ago I don't even remember what it was, but it was when call centers were still based in the U.S. The customer service rep said that if I didn't have use for the second one I should pass it on to someone else who could use it. I thought that was special. I'm guessing the value of the item was less than the cost of recovering it, but still...

I think it's the Market Basket in Chelsea, MA. Checkouts as far as the eye can see...
o.jpg

...It's not the children I blame, it's the parents. We live in a very large metropolitan area so you'd think parents would be more careful but some just aren't for whatever reason...
Ding! You're the winner! We always made sure our two behaved. If not, we removed them from the area and did "the talk". Won't deny that there may have been a firm-enough pat on the butt to get their attention, but never hard and never more than one. I think the attitude among many raising children now is "we don't want to stifle their spirit". Gasp! Your precious snowflake might feel bad if you tell them to behave??? Better than making 50 people in public want to kill your progeny. I've stopped a Mom or two to point out her darling cutting people off and running into their sibling. One of these days I could end up getting my tire punctured in the parking lot. :ermm:

Holy cow, I've never seen so many check-outs. I wonder how many they keep open at one time? Small town girl here. LOL :)

Hold up there, honey. I started this thread with tongue in cheek, pointing out crazy things people do at Walmart through my weird sense of humor. People know I'm like that, and of course things happen.

That's why I always carry my wallet in my pocket at the register. Some folks just need a few dollars, and I've got it. I've been at Walmart for 8 years, and I know who's struggling and who isn't.

If you came through my line, and I see you're struggling (kids or no kids), I'll get my debit card or cash or whatever you need and pay the difference if it's under $30 and you've paid the majority of it. This serves four purposes: You get the food you and your family need, it saves you the embarrassment of taking items off, you might become a regular customer, and we don't have to put it back. And no, I don't always get paid back, and usually I refuse it anyway.

Craig meant EXTREMES, Farmer. You're not the type to run up a $400 grocery bill, run $150 short, then look at the others in line and yell, "Well? Ain't nobody gonna help me?" That's just arrogance and entitlement rearing its ugly head.

I'm on a tight budget, too, Farmer. I recently had a brain clot and although insurance helps, it doesn't pay for everything. I understand budgets.

And I do apologize if you thought my letter was aimed at you. That was never its intent, nor was it my intent.

Surely you've seen some crazy things happen in a store too, right?

And you were referring to the check writer as a jerk and not Craig. I got that. At least I hope that was the intent.

Craig, he meant the check writer was a jerk, not you.

I've seen all that you described and more. People do run short.

I have a funny story about running short one day. What a disaster! I went to our local Mom & Pop grocery to buy a $3 dog toy for a neighborhood kid with a new puppy, and a box of mac & cheese. The bill came to less than $5, and I opened my wallet and ... ***GASP***

I had swapped out wallets the day before. There was my license, AARP card, insurance cards, AAA card ... everything BUT my debit and credit cards. I was in the middle of switching wallets and hadn't gotten to that compartment yet when the phone rang and something else happened. I forgot I wasn't done!

Luckily a manager came by, and said, "Oh, let her have them. She gave $10 to a customer last month to help her out."

Wasn't that cool?

But no, I left the items, ran home, finished putting everything in the new wallet, then went back and paid for it. That was so embarrassing!

But there are definitely those extreme cases where it's just crazy. You were saying about food stamps -- on the other hand, it's sweet:

A young couple were struggling with a new baby, and they sold what they could and needed assistance. They were on food stamps for about 6 months, and one day she came through my line, used up the balance on her food stamps, paid the rest on her debit card, and handed her food stamp card to me.

"Can you recycle that or cut it up? My husband got a second job and we don't need it any more."

That look on her face lit up the entire store and made my week!

No, he was absolutely directing that at me.

Market Basket in Chelsea. After the hassle of the workers walking off the job a couple of summers ago, MB went of a building spree. The store in Chelsea is the flagship of all the new stores that they are building. It is huge. If you go to the store in Chelsea, and then to one in Tewksbury, it was built with the same floor plans as the one in Chelsea. When I go shopping, I give my list of the second half of the store to Spike and I do the left side of the store. Before they opened the store in Revere, the Chelsea served at least five communities. It takes both Spike and myself at least 45 minutes to get everything that is on both my list and his groceries.

The worst time to go shopping there is on a Thursday and Friday night. Payday for a lot of families. Spike takes me at 7 a.m. just as the store is opening. the first time I went to the new store in Chelsea, I was so overwhelmed at the size, I wanted to leave and just give the list to Spike and let him do it all for me. Now I do aisles one through eight along with the deli, meat, cheese and dairy departments. He does aisles nine through 38 plus the produce departments. :angel:

Last edited:
Holy cow, I've never seen so many check-outs. I wonder how many they keep open at one time? Small town girl here. LOL :)

Thursday and Friday night starting around 4:30 all of them are open. They have two storefront supervisors. And as the day goes on from 7 a.m. they add more cashiers as the store fills up with customers. They also have about 10 electric carts and three electric carts in the two entryways. That way you don't have to walk into the store. If you notice all the carts at the front of the store. Some are HUGE carts and the rest are your normal run of the mill size. And that is not all of them. They have even more that they keep outside and chained up. When the store fills up, they release the outside carts so the public can get one before they enter. They have three outside employees. Two recover the carts and bring them back in. The third man will help you unload your cart and place them in your car.

The service in this store in incredible. No matter what the employee is doing, if you ask for help, they immediately stop what they are doing and help you. If you can't find a product, they will even go and get it for you while you wait instead of having to wander around helplessly. And I have yet to ask where a product is located, and have the employee not know.

BTW, every cashier has a bagger of their own. My only complaint is when two cashiers in stalls next to each other are yakking back and forth in their own language. I consider that extremely rude and want my cashier to pay attention to my order. Not a conversation about their boyfriends. I have never seen any employees on a cell phone. :angel:

After a long day shopping with little kids they are done. I am done and the wife is done. They might act up a little bit and I dont care because I'm am tired and worn out. Now I have an hour drive home and have to put it all away.

If i miscalculate and go over 20 or 30 bucks (happens ones in a blue moon) It takes us a few minutes to figure out what do we need the least. Big deal get over it. I guess I have seen one person put back a ton if stuff once but it happens. One time I had to leave EVERYTHING. The whole cart. I put my check in the bank that morning went shopping that night. Bank teller told me funds will be available that afternoon. They weren't.

Dont judge with out knowing the whole story. All the people behind me in line could see was a guy swiping a card. Then walking away empty handed.

The lady running up a $400 bill and yelling for help is beyond help. Ive never been on ebt or food stamps but I do know people that are. They know how much they get every month. Go get all their groceries. Sometimes there is a mistake or the amount gets cut. They don't know that. All they know is I'm suppose to get say $300. Oh this month I only $250. Now they gotta put back $50 bucks worth. Ive been with someone when that happened. It is very embarrassing.

Last edited:
A while back in Walmart I was a couple of people behind a woman who, after trying 2 gift cards and topping off her limit on a credit card, was still about $5 short of the $50 she needed to buy everything in her basket. The woman right behind her gave her the $5 she needed. It took her nearly 10 minutes to sort through the cards, run each one multiple times and discuss it with the clerk each time. At least the 2 children with her were well behaved while all this was going on.

What was most apparent to me was that she needs some expert counseling on managing money. No way of knowing what her credit card limit is or how many cards she might have (or how the card got maxed out, necessary emergency or unadvised spending), but maxing out even one card can put a person in a deep hole that is a struggle to get out of (I was that person many years ago, and once paid off, I never again let it happen). Many young families in the area are just making it day to day, and adding the money pit of a maxed out card can be an unbearable load.

These days a $50 grocery bill is nothing, and she wasn't buying any luxuries, just the necessities for feeding a family.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom