"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
Sous Chef

forthcoming(?) resurrection of dead KA mixers

I am departing early tomorrow to retrive my two formerly dead Hobart-KA mixers. They have been hanging out in a certifed KA appliance service center in Brooklyn for the past several weeks, during which time each one has undergone the equivalent of a heart-lung transplant.

The service center gurantees that they will be returned in such extraordinary condition that they should last a lifetime. Now, the definition of a lifetime is a bit unclear but if they do, indeed, last the rest of my lifetime I will be well satisfied.

I do believe I have actually experienced a kind of withdrawal during their absence. Whenever I gaze at the empty spot on my baking counter where my KA mixer formerly resided, my eyes tear and I experience a feeling of loss. These are not machines - they are my long-term friends. I miss them.

BTW. it may be of interest to any of you with Hobart manufactured KA mixers to know the feedback I got from this service center (they're extremely friendly and knowledgeable). They do buy "broken" appliances if you don't want to pay the cost of the repair. They're not too interested in KA mixers manfuactured by Whirlpool (the company that makes all the current KA brands). Both my mixers were made by Hobart (the firm that started the manufacture of KA mixers). My Hobart model KA-K5SS was recommended for repair. My Hobart model KA-K5A (even older than the K5SS model) was not only recommended for repair BUT they said they would *buy it from me* if I didn't want to have it repaired. They said they have people who come to them asking if they ever get in the KA K5A model so I guess it just goes to show that if something was really well made, people know it and are willing to buy it.

I am so excited! Will tell you the result in a few days...

Old 01-22-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
Sous Chef

KA Mixers resurrection - they're baaaaaaaaack!

Both KA mixers, the K5-A and K5-SS have undergone the equivalent of a heart-lung transplant and have been returned to me.

The cost wasn't cheap but for the cost of one new KA mixer I now have two. I am pleased (so far) with the repair of the K5-SS but not so much with the repair of the K5-A mixer (it shows no increase in rotational speed from speed 1 through speed 4, which it should do - above speed 4 I get the expected increments in rotational speed). Both are under warranty and I will be calling the repair place to complain about the K5-A.

It is interesting that my ancient (and most beloved) K5-A was targeted by the repair shop as the *better* of the 2 models. If I had not been willing to pay the repair price for this model, they said they would be willing to buy it (broken!) from me.

I do stress these mixers - I use them for pastry-making, kneading dough for bread, grinding meat, grating hard cheeses and even milling flour from whole grain. Given the 6-months warranty on repair I intend to test them to their fullest.

Stay tuned for whether this repair shop (BTW, it is an authorized KA repiar center) will stand by the warranty.

Wish me luck