"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #11
Master Chef

Kayelle and Zhizara, I, too am good at saying what's on my mind plainly, which is how I get in trouble. Most of my female friends and relatives are into manipulation type things. Since one friend is intent on turning this into a forum for introducing more to the group, then hubby and I will make it plain that while we love the others, we'd like to keep the group small. I really think that of the six of us, five probably want to keep it the small thing it was. At one point we had 12! We've always said, whoever is hosting can invite whoever they care to. I won't be overly upset if others are invited to join, if they take their turn. I'd prefer it small, and my husband really, really likes it smaller (he loves a party, but the china and silver is his, I acquired it with marriage, and he loves to set a nice table, which we cannot do with that many). We've always been great about trading months, working around family tragedies and crises, and always put it on hold between Thanksgiving through January. One friend lives out in the country, and someone always trades with her if her month happens to fall in the winter, when it is a pain to get to her house.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
Master Chef

Zhizara, you have one up on me. Not sure I could actually approach a neighbor about the personal noises they make!

Old 01-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #13
Master Chef

Heck, I take that back! One day, when we were stationed in Hawaii and owned a townhouse, a friend was "doing" a layover at our house between Asia and the east coast. He'd gotten in, exhausted, and we poured a drink then tossed him in the guest bed. Now in those days in Hawaii no one had air conditioning, our windows were always wide open. Next thing I knew I heard my neighbor's teenaged son swearing up a storm (F this, F that) and listening to loud rasta music (rap wasn't quite invented). He was in his young teens and I think was just experimenting. I walked outside and yelled over the fence. 'Paul, enough already, I have a guest just in from Okinawa who needs to sleep!"

I had no intentions of telling his parents (who were not home), since he immediately turned off his boom box and settled down. But a few hours later his mom came over with a home-made snack and apology. It was SO funny, the kid's conscience must have been killing him and he confessed.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:45 PM   #14
Master Chef

Claire, can I PLEASE join your Brunch Bunch?? I promise DH and I will host!! No kidding, this sounds just wonderful Claire. I'm sure you all know how fortunate you are to be friends. Have fun, and share the recipes, ok?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Zhizara, you have one up on me. Not sure I could actually approach a neighbor about the personal noises they make!
I'm friendly enough and they are too so that there usually comes a time when I can fit it in. I HATE to be woke up, and I will not be driven nuts in my own living room. I consider it a necessity. It works, too.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #16
Master Chef

Kayelle, it is such fun. And I sometimes feel like the red-haired stepchild because my friends all own huge mansions and have antique crystal, china, and silver, and a dining room set to seat a dozen or more. My china and silver and crystal are relatively modern. And there is enough for, well, 6-8. So when 15 show up, it is paper and plastic. No one minds, but I'd like to show off what I do have once in awhile.

AND if you're ever in NW Illinois, you WILL be invited!! I suspect that I'm going to lose out on this one, and I really don't mind.

Since the brunch is at noon, after about 2 years I couldn't come up with more brunch recipes and started making it, when at my house, a theme lunch. We had lots of fun with a fifties theme, a Hawaiian theme, a soup theme, etc. It was such fun. SO I'm looking forward to getting that going again.