"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #111
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
last week i kept having nightmares about being stuck in a wigwam.
then i was trapped in a teepee.
wigwams and teepees. wigwams and teepes. that's all i could think about.

so today, i had a doctor's appointment and i asked the doc what it could mean.

he said, "zats zimple. you're two tense."
OMG, you got me!

Two tense indeed!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #112
Executive Chef

pag, the willing suspension of disbelief, as you likely already know, is a handy device utilized by writers, film artists and others, to help them unfold their vision, their personal truth, to us, their (hopefully) receptive audience. your taking on the dual identities of yourself/narrator and your dream self, is truly a simple matter in the case of a dream setting. we accept conditions and situations at face value without explanation in our dreams--apriori. there is no need or requirement to understand the fluid, often improbable aspects of our dreams--they simply ARE. you can be yourself, your dream self, your third grade teacher acting as dictator of brazil, all tied into one in your present dream. no one will bat an eye.... :) broaden your audience, pag, you have a gift for descriptive writing and a fertile mind....

Old 08-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A millenium ago, Alfred Hitchcock published a monthly magazine with short stories by various people. I remember one about a man who had a fancy Zippo lighter, who took on a bet with another guy as to how well it would light. If the lighter worked, the owner would get money. If it didn't, the other guy would get a piece of a finger. The other guy's wife showed up, dressed to the nines, jewelry, fur, etc. As she lit up a cigarette, the Zippo owner noticed she was missing a bunch of fingers. Sure creeped me out. As did your dream, Pag!
Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #114
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
The trick with this one would be how to tell it so the reader is a part of it. Seriously, that was the freakiest part of the dream, that there was a dream version of me but I wasn't inhabiting her and that my brother was in the dream. I'm not sure how I'd convey that same sort of feeling. I probably should start submitting stuff though. The hubby has even started pestering me to do so (dad's been pestering me for years).
I know, I have one or two excellent stories that I don't know how to write. I'm one of those people who research a topic to death until everything is so huge there is no place to start.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #115
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
A millenium ago, Alfred Hitchcock published a monthly magazine with short stories by various people. I remember one about a man who had a fancy Zippo lighter, who took on a bet with another guy as to how well it would light. If the lighter worked, the owner would get money. If it didn't, the other guy would get a piece of a finger. The other guy's wife showed up, dressed to the nines, jewelry, fur, etc. As she lit up a cigarette, the Zippo owner noticed she was missing a bunch of fingers. Sure creeped me out. As did your dream, Pag!

i remember that zippo lighter story too. vividly. hitchcock's mastery of suspense and mystery in his day was unsurpassed. another of his mystery tales that i'll never forget is the one where the homicide investigators are having dinner with the murderer at his home. they are feasting on a leg of lamb, lamenting their lack of progress in the case. one of them makes the remark that "the evidence could be right under our noses." of course, the murder weapon turns out to be a frozen leg of lamb, that the murderer roasted, and is now serving as dinner to them, the clueless homicide detectives of the case.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:55 PM   #116
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

i remember that zippo lighter story too. vividly. hitchcock's mastery of suspense and mystery in his day was unsurpassed. another of his mystery tales that i'll never forget is the one where the homicide investigators are having dinner with the murderer at his home. they are feasting on a leg of lamb, lamenting their lack of progress in the case. one of them makes the remark that "the evidence could be right under our noses." of course, the murder weapon turns out to be a frozen leg of lamb, that the murderer roasted, and is now serving as dinner to them, the clueless homicide detectives of the case.
Love it. A show that gave me nightmares as a kid was a weekly series called The Outer Limits. (guess this fits with the dream theme). I remember an episode called "To Serve Man". Seemingly benevolent aliens do all sorts of kindly acts on Earth, and eventually invite and herd humans on to their space ship, supposedly for a wonderful vacation. Turns out "To Serve Man" was a cookbook!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:11 PM   #117
Executive Chef

Quote:
Love it. A show that gave me nightmares as a kid was a weekly series called The Outer Limits. (guess this fits with the dream theme). I remember an episode called "To Serve Man". Seemingly benevolent aliens do all sorts of kindly acts on Earth, and eventually invite and herd humans on to their space ship, supposedly for a wonderful vacation. Turns out "To Serve Man" was a cookbook!

a cookbook--what a bone-chilling revelation it was, that first time! and timothy, this "dream thread" that you initiated has been a most interesting one to follow. kudos.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #118
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I always loved The Outer limits, Twilight Zone, etc. Fun stories.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:19 PM   #119
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

I always loved The Outer limits, Twilight Zone, etc. Fun stories.
Me too! My mom would never let us watch them. We were able to convince the babysitter, though.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #120
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Me too! My mom would never let us watch them. We were able to convince the babysitter, though.
My Dad would have us sit right next to him and then grab us when it got tense or scary. There were 3 dents in the ceiling over the sofa.