"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60

My Dad would have us sit right next to him and then grab us when it got tense or scary. There were 3 dents in the ceiling over the sofa.
Yikes! Lol!

Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 PM   #122
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Me too! My mom would never let us watch them. We were able to convince the babysitter, though.
to babysitter: "yeah, mom always lets us. we watch it all the time."

Old 08-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #123
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

to babysitter: "yeah, mom always lets us. we watch it all the time."
How'd you know ???
Old 08-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #124
Executive Chef

Twighlite Zone: Season 3, Episode 1

"TWO"

A female survivor of an apocalyptic war (Elizabeth Montgomery), her face dirty and wearing a tattered army uniform, stumbles into a deserted, war-ravaged town. She looks into some of the shop windows, pausing to examine a white dress, then finds a restaurant and goes inside in search of (clearly scarce) food. She finds a can of chicken, but before she can open it, a man also wearing a military uniform (Charles Bronson) walks in and eyes the food from the doorway.

Watch it now
Old 08-14-2011, 08:44 PM   #125
Chef Extraordinaire

i sewed all night long. this dress is driving me nuts. to many parts. since i am worn out from the night, no sewing today!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #126
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
Twighlite Zone: Season 3, Episode 1

"TWO"

A female survivor of an apocalyptic war (Elizabeth Montgomery), her face dirty and wearing a tattered army uniform, stumbles into a deserted, war-ravaged town. She looks into some of the shop windows, pausing to examine a white dress, then finds a restaurant and goes inside in search of (clearly scarce) food. She finds a can of chicken, but before she can open it, a man also wearing a military uniform (Charles Bronson) walks in and eyes the food from the doorway.

Watch it now
make love, not war? i wish. (play it again, sam)....
Old 08-14-2011, 10:16 PM   #127
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta

i remember that zippo lighter story too. vividly. hitchcock's mastery of suspense and mystery in his day was unsurpassed. another of his mystery tales that i'll never forget is the one where the homicide investigators are having dinner with the murderer at his home. they are feasting on a leg of lamb, lamenting their lack of progress in the case. one of them makes the remark that "the evidence could be right under our noses." of course, the murder weapon turns out to be a frozen leg of lamb, that the murderer roasted, and is now serving as dinner to them, the clueless homicide detectives of the case.
I never saw this particular Hitcock movie but on high school I read a short story called "Lambs to the Slaughter" about a seriously abused house wife who just sort of lost it after a severe beating and killed her husband with the frozen leg of lamb she was thawing for dinner. She ends up serving it to the police officers investogating her husband's death.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe

I never saw this particular Hitcock movie but on high school I read a short story called "Lambs to the Slaughter" about a seriously abused house wife who just sort of lost it after a severe beating and killed her husband with the frozen leg of lamb she was thawing for dinner. She ends up serving it to the police officers investogating her husband's death.
Vitauta posted about that one earlier. Good stuff! Gotta love Alfred.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:14 PM   #129
Senior Cook

I dream vividly but often forget last night's dreams by the end of the day. Last night I dreamed I was in a strange land but it was beautiful. There was water, it was twilight, a stone island in the water with a small glowing castle of sorts on it. It was a happy dream and I think there was a boat involved.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:52 AM   #130
Chef Extraordinaire

This one is tame enough to post
My dreams are typically more bizarre than that BK king

Last night was target practice. I did a lot of shooting with a gun that I don't own anymore. Using iron sights, which would have been impossible because it was a handgun with a scope attached, I put all six into the same bullseye on a reactive target. I had a lot more guns with me, but only shot that one and then it started raining really hard. My father and someone else were with me.
Then next thing I know I am in a different dream and hear someone shooting on my property, so I went to see what was up. He was shooting at a target I made (that I don't really have) and instead of having his target on the holder he had it on the pole going into the ground, so I told him to stop shooting at the pole because I wasn't going to put up a new one when it fell apart.
Then I asked him what he was doing there anyway and he said he heard shooting there one time so started shooting there himself. I pointed to my house and told him to let me know from now on.

I'm thinking that because I am kinda looking at buying another gun and kinda talking with my neighbor about putting a different shooting setup out back than what I currently have, which is nothing like the dream's setup, that I tied them both together into one dream. But why the guns changed and this pole thing was there is beyone me.
The dream makes me want to do some shooting today though.