"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Dessert!

With everyone conscious of their weight and trying to keep the pounds off, I never make desserts anymore. Very seldom if any. So when 8-9 o'clock rolls around they ask what I got to eat? We just get through eating at 7 and then they want something. Eating some kind of fruit doesn't satisfy them. Do you all eat desserts? Every diet book says to not eat after 8 in evening. My dilemma is wondering what can I do to make them quit eating something w/o calories. They do eat cottage cheese w/fruit sometimes but won't eat every night. Feel like have group of babies that want their candy.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:16 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I bake small cookies and freeze them. I only allow myself one (or two)per evening and it seems to be enough to satisfy the sweet craving I have. I generally do not make desserts, the DH has hypoglycemia and won't eat ANY sweets. I love to bake desserts so will occassionally bake a ricotta cheesecake and freeze it in portions. And when we have company I always bake a dessert and send most of it home with the guests.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
With everyone conscious of their weight and trying to keep the pounds off, I never make desserts anymore. Very seldom if any. So when 8-9 o'clock rolls around they ask what I got to eat? We just get through eating at 7 and then they want something. Eating some kind of fruit doesn't satisfy them. Do you all eat desserts? Every diet book says to not eat after 8 in evening. My dilemma is wondering what can I do to make them quit eating something w/o calories. They do eat cottage cheese w/fruit sometimes but won't eat every night. Feel like have group of babies that want their candy.
ITK, actually, I'm not a big dessert eater. If I have dessert, trust me it will be a super-duper no calories-barred dessert - usually if I go out to dinner - or a special event - or just because I want it. I'm more of a fruit and cheese eater.

I do like the little ice cream cups that come in vanilla w chocolate swirls or strawberry swirls; and keep them in the freezer when I want a little something. They come about 12 to a pkg.

How about frozen yogurt or making frozen yogurt pops? I keep raisins around and love cottage cheese as well. Perhaps trail mix, GORP - good old raisins and peanuts. You can add dried fruit like apricots, apples, and chocolate pretzels, mini marshmallows For me, one mallowmar, did the trick. Remember those? Or bananas dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts and frozen on a stick.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #4
Head Chef

Do you give them whole fruit? It might help to cut apples and oranges into sections. Man am I craving some watermelon or grapes right now!
Old 08-24-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Who is they? When you say.. they ask what there is to eat.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Thought of another dessert, easy and not high-caloric - pudding parfaits, ie. vanilla or chocolate pudding, layer of blueberries or strawberries, another layer of pudding, berries, whipped cream (low fat on top). Strawberry shortcakes - buy the little pre-packaged shortcakes (near the produce section), fill with berries and top with whipped cream.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo
Who is they? When you say.. they ask what there is to eat.
Sure sorry about this! My family are 'they'! Even 'they' question me about who I am talking about. I sure apologize as I know no one can read my mind. Guess I am too isolated w/trying to please 'them' and everyone knows who I am talking about. Again I apologize for not explaining more clearly.

mish, thank you. You sound so confident in what you want. When I read some of the places you have been and you order desserts w/no thought about it. I do appreciate all your suggestions. Maybe making smaller servings would help. I am sure my family would not keep going into the kitchen for more ice cream if it were in small cups. All of them know what I am trying to achieve here. Don't want to deny only help w/maintaining their weight.

thank you all. I do value all your suggestions.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:20 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I keep fat free sugar free popsicles and fudgesicles in the freeze. I also buy ff/sf ice cream sandwiches.

It helps my craving but I still want a piece of Black Forest Cake.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Who is there in your family
Your wife i figure
how old are the kids?
Old 08-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Sorry again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboenomo
Who is there in your family
Your wife i figure
how old are the kids?
No wife around here. My husband and I divorced after being together too long. Now I just have lot of people who know I cook and want to eat . Since that is what I have done th majority of my life I continue. I have mixture of people every night. Some just 'drop' in others are regulars. So I was a wife now I am an ex wife?

How many people in your family? Looks like you have a pretty girlfriend. Does she cook? You probably don't care if she cooks or not. Nice to look at. Right?

Oh, do you like desserts? If so, what are some of your favorites?