Developmental Apraxia...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GrantsKat

Executive Chef
My oldest son, who is 5, was diagnosed with developmental apraxia when he was 2. I was just wondering if anyone else here has had any experience with it or with someone who has it. Im pretty well educated about it but would like to hear about others experiences. He has had in home speech therapy and has improved quite a bit, but with starting kindergarten next week Im concerned about how well he will be able to communicate with everyone. Any info would be appreciated!!
Heres a link....
What Is Developmental Apraxia of Speech?

Can't help with anything but just thought I'd say good for you with getting him help.
We had neighbors at our old house whos smallest two (of 6) could not be understood one bit at 6 and 4..... they refused to admit anything was wrong, and got mad at the school for suggesting they needed help.....
They were looney tunes anyway.... I think the Dad did meth..... but I always wonder what became of those poor kids.

Hi Kathe,

I am quite familiar with apraxia. My son didn't have that, he had global dysphasia, which means that he could not process language either coming into his brain or going out. Most people only have one or the other (expressive or receptive) but he was born with both. It is also very unusual to be born with both. (You can read a story about him here: Of mitzvahs and miracles).

Usually this is a disorder that happens after a stroke, which is why his language pathologist concluded he may have had a stroke in utero.

Anyway, what I wanted you to know: first, you are not alone. If you haven't already, see if you can find a support group, because you learn so much from other people.

Second, I am assuming you are already hooked up with a good language therapist. The most important advice I can give you, and this is directly from our therapist, because we are still friends, and she tells me this is her biggest frustration: Do the homework with him. Every single day. No excuses. We found ways to do homework no matter where we were. I can remember being on line at Disney World. My dad had Jeff in his arms, I was behind them, and I was quizzing him: Name ten farm animals. Name ten things you'd find in a medicine cabinet. Name ten things in the kitchen.

It was grueling, especially when he had no comprehension at all. Your son probably has the comprehension, but lacks the ability to express it.

Children's brains are like plastic, and they keep reshaping as the child learns. You are lucky that he was diagnosed early and you have the opportunity to help him.

Let me tell you about my son. GB can vouch for me. He graduated from college with a bachelor in fine arts. He works for Apple, Inc. teaching other people how to use their computers and software. He never shuts up. He is brilliant, has a loving girlfriend, lives on his own, drives, makes his own decisions, and if you didn't know... you wouldn't know.

Yes, he had other learning issues, as most LD kids do. And occasionally, if he's tired, his language may sound a little bizarre. But not enough to make you go "huh?"

Hang in there. You are the most important member of your child study team.

Thank you SO much for sharing your story! Its encouraging to hear that these speech impairments can be overcome. My son has had therapy since he was 2, and I assume he will be put in the ISE class for kindergarten. I work with him daily, helping him try to pronounce words correctly. He went from having no understandable words to being able to form sentences of 5 words or more. I think he also benefits greatly from his 2 & 3 yr old brothers, who have wonderful language skills.
As Im sure you know its a daily struggle, sometimes I give in to the ever present question "why did God put this burden on my baby boy?", but I quickly pull myself back up and realize that I am the one who will impact & help him the most now.
Again thank you so much for sharing your story. The pride you must have in yourself & your son for overcoming such an obstacle!!:)

You're welcome. One of the things I am proudest of is being co-founder of a support group in the public school for parents of children with special needs. We got the school district to take us seriously, and I was even able to be on the panel that chose a new director of special services for the district. We learned so much from each other, the parents that is, and shared success stories and tears and techniques.

I also worked as a liaison between the board and the parents (volunteer). When a child was identified as "special needs," they would get my phone number.

One really useful technique for language issues is the Richard Scary series of books. You just sit there with the book and name objects, and have your son name them. It is good practice, helps him to both recognize and pronounce.

Is your son getting language therapy? I highly recommend that you NOT rely on a school's speech program. Private therapy, if your insurance will allow it, is the best. In a school setting, the child gets only minimal time with the therapist, and often has to share it with other students. That may be fine for learning to say "s" but not for more serious issues.

if you ever want to talk, just send me a PM. Believe me, I've heard it all!

Good luck!

GB can vouch for me. .
I sure can Jeff is an amazing person. He is very intelligent and an amazing artist. My mind was blown when he showed me his work from college. He really did many incredible things. He is someone that anyone would be proud to call his friend. Jeff is one of the sweetest guys you could ever hope to know (he takes after his parents). Like Momerlyn said, if you did not know then you would not know.

I was young when Jeff was diagnosed and his parents and he and the therapist were putting in all the hours of work it took. I remember my parents talking about it though and saying that Jeff was going to succeed because how how much work they did put into it and how much love and support he had. I have no doubt it was not easy, but the results are amazing.

GrantsKat, all I can offer you is support and you do have that from me. It is obvious to me from your posts that you are a loving mom. Just keep that up as i am sure you will. Be there to work with him and love him and I have hope that it will work out just fine in the end. When you ask G-d why he has done this to your family, just think of my cousin Jeff. I would not want him to be anything other than what he is and I am sure his parents feel the same. He is the kind gentle extremely intelligent fun and he has great taste in music ;) I could go on and on, but you get the point. Anyway when you are feeling down about it just know that your son can grow up with the same qualities and one day you could look back and thank G-d because what he had to go through will make him the man he grows up to be.

My son has also had major speech issues, not as bad as needs - he doesn't have a specific diagnosis other than high achieving autistic spectrum. He has come on so well and has now been discharged from his speech therapy and no longer has a statement of Special Educational Needs. He still has issues but we are getting there.

I echo what has been said about working with your child every day and also, if you can, private speech therapy. Over here the speech therapist only came to the school once a year & the programmes were implemented by the classroom assistants - they worked hard but are not able to develop the programme - both my children got very bored with the programmes they were on. She also only saw those most in need - some children did not get to see her at all.

We were able, thanks to my in laws support, get him into a private speech therapist who did wonderful work with him.

Thank you momerlyn, I will take you up on the offer Im sure;). I applaud you for commiting yourself and perservering, esp. in a public school setting!:clap:Im sure you helped many children along the way!!GB thank you so much for your kind words!:)
miniman, I cant believe the school system there is not more helpful with children that have disabilities:mad:. However I am glad that your son has done so well!
LEFSE Thank you, I try to remain positive!

First step would be to get in touch with the school he'll attend and check out what programs they offer for him in addition to what you can do privately. Get the IEP (individual education plan) process started early. You want to be sure that he won't be spending all day in speech classes and that there is a good curriculum for him to learn what he needs to learn. Did you ever consider sign language for him? If he's unable to say the words, maybe he can sign them. You can try starting with baby signs. You may be suprised how quickly he'll pick it up.

Thanks jabbur! Im going to the school tomorrow to meet his teacher. I know for a fact that he wont get much speech therapy there., esp. not one on one. As far as sign language, his therapist recomended against it, and at this point it would probably be useless. His speech is much better, but he still loses letters here and there which makes it difficult to understand him sometimes.

I'm not suprised the therapist was against him learning sign. Most do even for deaf kids! But it has been proven that kids that learn how to sign first then speak, do better academically and speak better than the kids who never learn to sign. The important thing is language acquisition then communication. He still may benefit from sign language even though his speech is improving. Signing is fun and he may enjoy learning it and using it.

Back
Top Bottom