DH's fresh produce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
DH is on spring break, so he actually got to come grocery shopping with me this week. I asked him if he wanted to go pick out some fresh produce he would eat. He came back with a coconut, a personal watermelon, and a canister of raisins. He couldn't understand why I laughed when I saw what he'd picked out. Besides the raisins not being fresh produce, I couldn't really explain it, either. I just found his choices amusing. :) Just thought I'd share!

LOL That's hilarious!

I can see him smashing the coconut in a manly way and getting the milk everywhere. Or asking you, How the heck do you open this thing???

Raisins.. well.. they WERE fruits? LOL !!!!!

I was laughing so hard when I read this post that my DH wanted to know what I was laughing about. After telling him, he said he wanted me to stop reading these forums. This mostly comes because he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy.

I just told my fiance and he doesn't get it lol. He said, well, maybe its stuff the guy liked... I think he feels for your hubby lol

I just found a really good recipe using one fresh coconut for both a baked fish and a rice dish. =P Lemme know if you'd like it.

I love love fresh coconut. My Aunt used to purchase them at holiday time and it was such a treat! I guess when you're surrounded by cornfields in the middle of Iowa a fresh coconut is pretty exotic. I seem to remember her baking them before trying to crack them open ... but my memory wires may be a wee bit crossed. :wacko:

I love fresh coconut milk. I used to have a big nail I'd use to tap holes in the top to pour the milk out first, then tap again with the hammer over newspaper to get at the meat.

Maybe fresh coconut macaroons or even coconut cream pie. Mmmmm.

We ended up eating most of the coconut fresh. The coconut actually had instructions on how to drain and open it, so he had that part covered. :) Zereh, even though we've used it up, I can always buy another. I'd love to see that recipe! It turns out that having the coconut water in the fridge was very convenient for me. The following day I tried the local Thai place's panang curry for the first time and it wasn't quite to my taste. I love the coconut flavor in the panang I've gotten in the past, and this one really didn't have much. It was probably more traditional than what I'm used to. I added a bit of the coconut water & it really helped.

Wait a minute ladies, not all of us lack the fresh produce gene!:rolleyes:

Craig

I haven't tried this yet, but it's on my list. =)

Broiled Fish with Fresh Coconut-Mango Rice
suite101 / (serves 4)

For the Rice:
1 mango, peeled and sliced into small wedges
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup long-grain white rice
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1 1/4 cup fresh coconut water

For the Fish:
4 4-oz boneless whitefish filets
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 red or orange bell pepper, sliced into short, thin strips
olive oil, for drizzling
2 cups grated fresh coconut
1 lime, quartered

Rice:
Set the sliced mango aside until the rice cooks.

Heat a pan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the rice and season with salt and pepper. Stir-fry 1 minute.

Add the coconut water and bring to a boil. (If you don’t have enough coconut water to cover the rice, add a little regular water.)

Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly, and cook until rice is tender and fluffy, 15-20 minutes.

Fish:
Preheat the broiler.

Season the filets with salt and pepper and lay on a shallow baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Scatter the bell pepper on top of the fish and drizzle with olive oil.
Broil the fish about 5 minutes, depending on thickness, until almost cooked through.

Remove the pan from the oven and place 1-2 tablespoons grated coconut on top of each filet. Return to the oven and broil 2-3 minutes longer, until coconut begins to brown.

To serve, divide the rice among 4 plates and scatter the remaining grated coconut on top. Scatter sliced mango around the rice and coconut.
Place a filet on top of the rice on each plate and squeeze fresh lime juice over all. Season with a little more salt and pepper, if desired.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom