Did a good deed, and helped my parents out...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
When we moved from Michigan to Oklahoma, my parents put us up for 6 weeks, until we found our own place. It was a struggle, keeping enough food on hand for feed 10 people, with neither PeppA or myself working for the first couple of weeks, and my parents on a tight budget. We got it done, though

Well, my younger brother was raising a hog for FFA. What I didn't know is that he had shipped it to a slaughter-house to be processed into meat.

My mother called me last Monday, just to say "Hi" and catch up on what all is happening with us. She had mentioned that they had some unexpected car repair bills (thanks to my brother taking the 4-wheel out mud-bogging), and that they were sure how they were going to pay for the pork that was waiting for them at the butcher's. I asked her what the bill was, and she told me. I am still sitting on a big bulk of my Federal Tax refund, so I offered to pay for it, and they can pay me back as they can. I also mentioned that if they could spare some of the meat, let me have some, and deduct that from the total.

My parents were floored. They weren't expecting me to offer that. I felt it was just a way for me to pay them back for what they did for us when we moved.

Now, I've got two racks of spareribs, several packages of pork chops, a couple hams, a couple pork shoulders, some sausage, and a pack of ham hocks in my freezer.

Gone

My mother is gone and how those memories of what we all did together wash over me from time to time. You will always and I do mean always be so thankful that you were able to do this. Did you ever stop to think that maybe that is why you had received that tax refund? Just the fact that you were so willing to help her, not only for the fact of what she has done for you, will be returned to you many times. Maybe not today but you can be sure you will be blessed.

This made me feel so good to know you did this. After all, we are supposed to give to those in need, especially those we love so dearly. Thanks for sharing and I am sure you will enjoy the meals made with this pork. You are a good son.

I'm glad you could be there for your parents... all children should do what they can for their parents. Mine are both gone, but like ITK stated, I am thankful that I did all that I could for them and the memories will always be!!

Good day to you and happy eating on those pork gifts!!!

As my dad would say, "Atta boy!" Allen, that was a wonderful thing you did. No buts about it.

Awwwwwwww - you're a good son Allen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You wouldn't be dreaming of smoking any of that meat, would you???????????? :chef:

Because someone has the ability to help someone out financially doesn't mean they have the ability to totally do without that money forever. We don't know the amount in question either. Allen has a family, and a big one at that. His family is his first priority. A child doesn't "owe" his parents for raising them in a monetary fashion. It's not our life so it shouldn't "bother" any of us. My son has borrowed money from me - he pays me back. I have even borrowed money from my son on the rare occasion that I had an emergency - I would NEVER think of NOT paying my son back. He doesn't owe me but a hug every now and then. :)

Allen, good for you! As for the pay back, my parents would insist on it, my guess is Allens would to, I think Kitchenelf got it just right ;)

As for the piggy, I find something really reasuring in having a good amount of meat in the freezer. I hope you have many happy meals!

That nearly moved me to tears. Your Parents are blessed to have a son like you.

It's perfectly alright to say " pay it back if and when you can" that leaves them with some dignity too. Your Parents must be feeling pretty overwhelmed.

Good for you and your wife.

Even amongst family, we try to pay our debts. However, as csalt said, it's an "if and when" type thing. Doing this for my parents didn't put me in a bind.

KE, you know me all to well, don't you. The hams are cured, but I'm not sure how they're cured. I haven't even opened the packages for those yet, even to look at them, but, they've been pressed flat, like a proscuitto ham. Maybe, just maybe? But, that would be to much. The ribs will most likely be smoked next Thursday or Friday.

My sister and BIL, as well as my g'mother, have helped out with groceries, not only me and mine, but my parents as well. I've been wanting to get some food going back in the other direction. I need to use some of my restaurant contacts, and get, say, a case of 8-cut chicken, and divvie that up. Maybe a couple pork loins and divvie it up as well.

Why ask to be paid back? Because you're offering them a way to retain their pride as well as helping them out. Good job!

Back
Top Bottom