Didn't need more stress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Callisto in NC

Washing Up
My daughter let my favorite cat out, he's been gone for a couple hours, and he's nowhere to be seen. I'll stay up until he gets home but I so don't need any more stress wanting him home. I had that "can't wake up dream" last night which stresses my body enough. Now my Charlie is gone and I'm just so upset. I have both my doors open hoping he will run in and it's 30 degrees outside. He's my long hair so he'll be okay weather wise, but I won't sleep until he come home. So stressed

Oh, Calli. My heart goes out to you and I understand your concern. Many years ago when Buck and I moved from one house to another, one of our kitty cats went missing. That was in August.

I went back every night to call for Miss Little One and never gave up hope that we'd have her return to us. I even went back to the area in the wee hours of the morning. Everyone thought I was nuts.

Happily on our son's birthday - December 5th, nearly 4 months after being gone - we received a call from a neighbor in our old neighborhood. Someone had spotted her. She came home and we were fortunate to have her to love for almost 15 years more before she died.

Never give up. Never, never, never. I believe they know how much you love them and will seek to get back to that love.

Buck and I will send good thoughts to you.

I'm so, so sorry, Callisto. My cat got out about a month ago and he was gone for 4 days. I was devastated and really depressed about it. He's a spooky kind of cat and I knew he'd be really frightened and disoriented. But he finally showed up at the back door in the middle of the night and I probably cried for an hour just from the relief. So I really sympathize and know how really awful you feel. I sure hope he shows up soon.

Thanks Katie and Terry. I didn't even know Kasie let him out when she ran to the car. The front door's been open for two hours and he hasn't come home. He goes out occasionally by accident but as soon as I open the door he always come back in 15 minutes. He's never been gone this long. He's never been out in the dark at night. It's so cold out there.

Callisto, I can certainly understand your concern and stress, we all love our pets as family members. Cats have a keen sense of smell so it is likely that your cat will return home. We have many cats around our neighborhood and even given the cold temps here in Maine, they seem to survive just fine. Maybe consider putting up posters in your area with a picture so that people around your neighborhood can keep a watchful eye out, and also include your phone number of course. Laminate the poster!

Hang in there, Calli. In your area the weather doesn't get as cold as some areas so, even though the kitty has long hair, he's going to be comfy weatherwise for sure.

Lots of love and hope are sent to you and your kitty. Gotta love our babies.

I know. My Milo is an indoor cat, too, and it was dark and there are cars and raccoons and dogs and all sorts of bad things for cats here. I couldn't sleep and I didn't go anywhere for the 4 days he was missing in case he came back. The kids searched the neighborhood countless times. Honestly, I didn't think there was any chance I'd see him again. So Katie's right - don't give up hope. Til then, I'm feelin' for you, girlfriend.

There has been many a long night when I have slept on the floor by the catflap to stop the other cats getting out but so that the "escaped one" can get back in! It wrenches your heart so. Like others have mentioned, some of my cats have gone missing for various amounts of time, longest being two - three months. I can say that cats that aren't used to going out in the evening get very excited with all the night smells and will act out of norm in those instances, irrespective of the weather.

I have a candle holder made of pressed metal in the shape of a cat playing a fiddle, and whenever one of my cats has gone missing, I have always lit this candle and said a few words of hope and "asked" for the safety of my cat. It has always relieved my spirit and my cat has always returned. While I am not saying that it has made the difference, it has at least made me feel like I am doing something positive.

It is a horrible time for you but keep your chin up and I am sure Charlie will return to you when he has finished having a good explore. But do try and get a bit of sleep, even if only for an hour or so.

I have both paws crossed for you, Calli. This has happened to us a few times as well and it it heart-wrenching until they come home--I know it's now morning and maybe you'll have good news for us......in the meantime let all your neighbors and especially the kids know---they are usually the first ones to spot them....Please keep us posted

Calli, Has he returned yet? I know how hard it is. I'm sorry you have to go through this but we're here with you. I've made my DS get up in the middle of the night:mad: before to get my kitty of the roof after said DS had let kitty out accidently!! Luckily for him we live in a ranch house:LOL:. I will keep praying for you and your kitty:angel:. Dawn T

Well, I found him and got lucky. The gross people across the street moved out and there were workers there yesterday with the doors open because, as my daughter put it, the house smells like rotting old people and smoke. Well, he must have wondered in there because I looked over and saw him in the window. Fortunately the doors weren't locked and the windows were open (breaking and entering would have been an option to free the cat) and he was crying for me at one of the windows. So at 2 this morning, I freed him and tried to get some sleep. A nap on my desk is looking pretty good.

So, he's safe, he's home, and he kind of stinks a little.

I had a cat (named Katmandu) who actually got into the bed of my truck one evening while I was unloading hay and feed. I didn't know she had climbed in there when I shut it up.I drove down my dirt and hole road to the store, (about 1 1/2 miles away) when I got there I could see her all puffed up and Angry!!!! When I tried to get her out so she could ride back in the cab with me, she bolted out.
3 months later on Christmas Eve, she came home.
Moral of the story, Cats are explorers by nature, Dont give up on them, they will come back.

Last edited:
My daughter let my favorite cat out, he's been gone for a couple hours, and he's nowhere to be seen. I'll stay up until he gets home but I so don't need any more stress wanting him home. I had that "can't wake up dream" last night which stresses my body enough. Now my Charlie is gone and I'm just so upset. I have both my doors open hoping he will run in and it's 30 degrees outside. He's my long hair so he'll be okay weather wise, but I won't sleep until he come home. So stressed
listen, does he come to the sound of the food box shaking his food? my cat used to, that's how I could always get him to come home or inside, I'd shake that food Meow mix box, he's hear it and think it was time to eat.
don't lose hope and walk the neighborhood calling him, if he's stuck up a tree or hiding out or whatever, he'll hear you and come, and take that box of noisey food with you

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom