Diesel price question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adillo303

Head Chef
On another form, the comment was made that diesel fuel in the US is th ehighest in the world. I was under the impression thhat US prices were lower. If any of you that are not in the US would be so kind as to post the price for diesel fuel where you are, I would appreciate it. Unit of measeure and cost n local currency and what thast currency is will be sufficient. I will do all the conversions.

Thank You in advance.
AC

I just read Jersey is supposed to have the lowest diesel prices in the country right now, with California as the highest.
My think is when I was in college DW had a VW Rabbit that was Diesel. I kid you not the thing got somewhere around 40mpg highway. It was awesome, especially since diesel was cheaper at the time by almost a buck.
I wonder why the prices flipped? Around here diesel is now about a buck higher than unleaded. Man I miss that car! $15 to go from Iowa City to Chicago and we had gas left over when we got there!
For that matter I miss my 87 Honda Prelude, it had dual carbs and got better gas mileage than most new cars today excepting some hybrids.

So that's like $7.20/gal?
That's high.....

I'm in the process of getting a new lawn mower. I've got a diesel garden tractor now and it was a tough call, but I'm still going with diesel (ZTR mower). Diesels are more expensive than gas, but they're 30% more efficient, too. And I have a 150 gal diesel tank I get filled every couple of years. I could just see myself crying all the time heading to the gas station to fill a bunch of cans. Besides the price break buying in bulk and it being red diesel, once the tank is filled I don't need to cry until it comes time to fill it again.

We are at 4.10. My DH just sold his tractor - trailer to go work for someone else, the rates for owner-operators are not raising with fuel costs. Had he kept on where he was we would have lost the house to save the truck.
I don't think that woulda been a good idea, it wasn't a sleeper so we couldn't even move into it!!!! :)

The paragraph below is from someone in Mexico. All I can say is WOW!

I am currently in Mexico. I filled up yesterday at 6.02 pesos per liter. The exchange rate at the bank today was 10.3 pesos per dollar. According to my calculator this works out to be $2.209/ gal . The weak dollar has recently caused the exchange rate to drop ( fewer pesos per dollar ) causing the price (in dollars) to rise. I have been buying diesel fuel in Mexico for 10 years and this is the highest I have ever seen it. Both in dollars and pesos.

I don't own a lawn mover, or any other power equipment for the lawn. In fact a snowblower is all I have. Then again, I no longer have any lawn, LOL! Back when we did have some lawn, I used a push mower I picked up from the Amanas, not electric not gas.. actually push powered.
Worked great and didn't leave me coughing whenever I used it. Also didn't use up gas or add pollution. Not an option when you have a lot of yard to deal with, I know, but out here everyone has small yards so it works great. Which is why I never understood why they all insist on buying the biggest baddest gas mower they could get their hands on...
Same goes for when you have several acres of 'rough' lawn you keep mowed. Why? Why not add value to the environment and let it go back to it's natural state? Uses less gas that way too.
Some of the high price I believe is greed and speculating. But I think the consumer needs to start taking some responsibility as well. Maybe if we managed our consumption better things wouldn't be quite so bad.

We are at 4.10. My DH just sold his tractor - trailer to go work for someone else, the rates for owner-operators are not raising with fuel costs. Had he kept on where he was we would have lost the house to save the truck.
I don't think that woulda been a good idea, it wasn't a sleeper so we couldn't even move into it!!!! :)
my hubby was owner-operator til he retired in 2005.

But I think the consumer needs to start taking some responsibility as well. Maybe if we managed our consumption better things wouldn't be quite so bad.

Yeah, but when someone says something about 10mpg behemoths or 4,000 square foot McMansions, or about any issue with social responsibility attached to waste, those with the delusion of entitlement point out how it's their money and no one can tell them how to spend it.

Outstanding.

Not to say I'm guiltless in the waste thing. I have two hobby cars. OTOH neither have plates because the hobby is working on them. And the point of the one car is mileage. The other car will probably never see the road again.

I remember paying less than 20 cents a gallon. I could fill my tank for $3-$4!

I'm remembering filling the garden tractors 1 1/4 tank and a 2 1/2 gallon can for less than a buck when I was a kid.

And I think how Today will be the good old days for some.

:) Diesel used to be always be cheaper than regular gas so why is it more now? Is it because of the truckers that need and use more than anyone else the gas suppliers can charge more money? The trickle down effect is really hurting this country and the rest of the world. It is getting to the point there are people having to choose between gas or food or prescriptions etc. I am really concerned for the people that don't make alot of money in the first place because now they are now spending so much on gas to get to work the paycheck that was so small in the first place its hardly worth it to go to work and on top of that the food bills are way up as well not just here in the USA but the rest of the world. Not only that but the housing crisis is causing rentals to go thru the roof. It seems there is no regulation in this country. Of course to get really deep into who is responsible and get politcal is not allowed here and I respect that but I think we all know who is behind all of this and why.
OMG I hope admins don't come down on me for this as I think I did not mention names etc.

Back
Top Bottom