"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Digital Camera question...

I have a digital camera that is probably, I don't know, 5 or so years old. It's a Kodak Easy Share so a good brand. My question is has anyone had a camera get to the point where it can suck the life out of the batteries in a day? I noticed this happening a couple weeks ago. So I went and bought some Duracell rechargables, got them fully charged and threw a couple in. I was good to go all night. Trying to capture the hilarity of the cat and dog running all over the apt playing. (Yes... the cat chases the dog, that's why I was trying to video it ) Well they didn't get into it, so I called it a night. Well I'm home now and lo and behold they're playing... I grab the camera in anticipation and hopes of an amusing video I can put on youtube!!!! ...it's dead. Rechargable batteries that are supposed to last the life of 5000 regular batteries. I don't get it. Anyone have anything like this happen? Oh, I also smelled a metal-like odor from the battery compartment if that's any indication of anything.

Thanks for any info/help/advice in advance

Old 01-03-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Jen...It's kinda obvious the Camera is a sick puppy. Something is drawing the batteries down. What?? I don't have a clue. My suggestion, Take it to a camera repair. Hopefully it is something simple, and will be cost effective to repair. If not, then you will face the decision of, Do I want to spend that much money on an old camera, when for just a few dollars more, I can buy a new one?? I hope this helps a little.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have a Kodak Easy Share also. Mine is a couple years old, and I haven't had that problem. Mine doesn't seem to hold a charge as long as it used to, but it still holds one for quite a while. I think I just need new rechargeable batteries. The fact that you're smelling something odd doesn't sound too good. You might need a professional to look at it.

Barbara
Old 01-03-2008, 07:34 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My son's camera started doing that - draining batteries almost instantly - when he'd had it about 4 years. It was an HP, btw. Anyway, cameras have gotten so inexpensive that when he took it in to a camera shop, they told him it would cost much more to fix it than the camera is worth. So Santa brought him an awesome camera and it only cost Santa about $150.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:35 PM   #5
Executive Chef

The problem is after about 2-3 years the internal battery (not replaceable) dies. Then the "external" batteries (as we'll call them) have to do the work of both battery sets. It has to keep the date and time, the pictures, it has keep track of what number picture your are on, work the focus, the flash, okay, you get the picture. Rechargables will drain faster than regular batteries but they are better for the environment. As for a Kodak Easy Share I wouldn't touch one if it was given to me. I prefer HP and Fuji over Kodak as far as digital cameras that far back went.

To be completely honest, you need a new camera. You'll pretty much just keep rolling down the hill at this point.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Canon PowerShot SD800 IS 7.1MP Digital Elph Camera with 3.8x Wide Angle Image-Stabilized Optical Zoom

Time to pull the trigger Jen. You will kick yourself in the butt for hanging on to your other one so long.... I know.

pacanis
aka Fred
Old 01-03-2008, 07:48 PM   #7
Executive Chef

My camera is three years old and I'm dying for a new one!!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot SD1000 7.1MP Digital Elph Camera with 3x Optical Zoom (Silver): Camera & Photo
This is what Santa brought one son.
Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A570IS 7.1MP Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Camera & Photo
This is what Santa brought another son.
Amazon.com: Canon PowerShot A650IS 12.1MP Digital Camera with 6x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Camera & Photo
What Santa brought me!
Old 01-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Awsome guys, thank you. I'm glad to hear that this seems to be a common problem. Well, not glad your camera died, but glad I'm not alone.

I think I will head to Best Buy and Circuit City tomorrow or Saturday and start looking around. Anyone have any advice as to what's hot right now? Also, the memory card I have for this camera is a SanDisk 128 MB. Can this still be used with a new camera? Or have memory cards evolved?

Holy cow Fisher's Mom... I thought I was all up to date with my 3.1 MP!!!!! And for about the same price when I got it. I can't even imagine what those pics look like.

Thanks again for all your help and advice.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

You should shop online. Canon, Nikon and Sony all make quality cameras that are available for deep discounts. Shopping for different models you may be able to find ones that use the same memory card.

Try Buy.com as one place to shop. I have found great deals there for various electronics.