"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Master Chef

Digital cameras?

I have this digital camera that needs new batteries every few days. I' sick and tired of it. Need new camera with long churge life and no batteries to replace. Have been looking on line but nothing interesting. Does any body subscribe Consumer report? Any info there? Pleae help me decide.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #2
Master Chef

GB where are you? You are the photo expert.

Old 03-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

Hey Charlie. A have moved up to a new camera myself. The one I have is very expensive, but has it's own rechargeable battery. Battery life is no longer an issue for me thankfully.

When I had my other camera it did OK with batteries. It was a Nikon Coolpix 990. It took 4 AA batteries. I bought a few sets of rechargeable and that worked out well for me.

I know a lot of the newer point and shoot cameras now have theirs own proprietary rechargeable batteries and the battery life seems to be getting better and better each year.

As far as which camera to suggest, that is sort of like which knife you should buy. It is a very personal decision that is different for everyone. My wifes camera is very small so it can fit in her purse. That is not an issue for me so my camera is much much larger.

My suggestion would be to stick with tried and true camera makers (like Nikon, Fugi, Canon, etc.). I would not recommend buying a camera from a company that makes things other than cameras primarily.

Check out epinions.com for some reviews. That site will give you some great info and it will talk about battery life.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:16 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I have an ancient digital camera by Kodak, but it works well with rechargable batteries. Regular batteries wont last long in a digital camera. Just get a battery charger and some rechargable batteries.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:26 PM   #5
Head Chef

I just got a new camera for the same reason.

I got the new Canon Rebel XT. I did a lot of reasearch on it and it got great reviews. I even went in to an expert and told him I was wanting to spend around $900 and the Rebel XT was his first reccomendation. I have been using it for about 3 months now and love it. It is easy enough for the average person to use, but if you are familiar with camera settings you can chose what you're wanting such as sutter spead, ect.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
Head Chef

Here are some reviews and stats on it if you are interested.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...on_eos350d.asp
Old 03-16-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Charlie:

One of the reasons I bought a Sony digital camera is for the battery life. The camera uses two rechargeable AA size batteries and gives me a lot of pictures on a charge. In addition, because they're AA size, I can use two alkaline batteries if the rechargeables run out of juice at a critical moment.

You don't need to get a Sony but look for this battery type in a camera.

The negative aspect of this setup is that this type of battery will discharge over time when the camera is not being used so you could be caught off guard.

I'll check Consumer Reports and get back to you.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Oh I meant to mention that Sony cameras are my one exception to my rule about only buying from a camera maker. Sony actually does make a very good camera even though they do many other things as well.
Old 03-16-2006, 02:47 PM   #9
Master Chef

Thank you evrybody. I guess, I should have mentioned that I did read epinions.com already, and I do not want to spend more than $300 or even less. I'm looking for something basic and simple, but reliable.
I did not really find anything on epinions that would help, unfortunately I just don't have time to seat and read every reviw.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:07 PM   #10
Head Chef

I used to use a Coolpix 990. I now use a Canon 20D. The 990 still stays in my camera backpack, though, for a backup. The 990 did great at taking pictures like this.

Less than $300? Check out http://www.dpreview.com for some good ideas.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote