Digital Cameras - thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks everyone for your input on this! I'm definitely shopping online, can stand to save a little.

I'm not sure on size. I'm not a professional photographer. Or even close to that. I would like to be able to take pictures of food. But, I also have a horse and friends with horses so I would like to be able to get action photos as well. A friend of mine got a lot of bleary action photos on his camera last week so I don't want that!

I suppose a size that can reasonably fit in my pocket or purse. Good to know on the megapixels and also on the memory cards and batteries. I'm pretty forgetful, so I'm thinking regular batteries that are rechargeable are a better idea for me.

Get something with anti-shake. More photos are ruined by camera shake than anything else. I love Carl Ziess lenses (I own a Hasselblad); they are the sharpest lenses made. You can get them on Sony. My wife owns a Pentax and it eats batterries like crazy. I bought a Nikon for my grandson and he has won awards with some of his photos (at 7 years old). I own a Sony Alpha. I've owned almost every brand of camera over the years. They all make pretty good cameras.

As said above, megapixels is a trap. 8 is more than enough for 12"x18" prints. Get one with a great lens and with antishake and don't look back. the new models are always nicer and seem to be cheaper. Don't sweat it, just enjoy your new camera.

A note on rechargeable batteries...They do not last forever. They can only accept so many charges. And when they start to run out of charges then you will find you will be shooting and you will get 50% less then 80% less and before you know it they wont work at all. When I used rechargeables I had at least two sets on me, plus the charger plus a backup set of disposable batteries just in case so i would not miss that shot. My camera bag was extremely heavy and bulky because of all the extra batteries I ended up carrying. I used my camera very aggressively so I used the batteries more frequently then the average user, but rechargables are not always the best solution.

The proprietary batteries these days are light years ahead of what they were just a few years ago. The cameras that come with those batteries will hold a charge a lot longer than they used to. Keep in mind, no matter what battery type you end up with, it is your flash that uses up the battery the most. If you make sure to only use flash when it is needed then you can extend your battery life substantially.

I'm going to slightly disagree with GB. The new generation of rechargables from Energizer are amazing. I can take over 400 pictures on one set of 4 batteries if I'm at the zoo or something. I do not have the issues GB had and they are 1/3 the cost for 8 than for one internal camera battery. Plus if you do forget your back up internal camera battery, you can drop by any drug store and buy disposables. I love my digital cameraS but I hated the work camera that had the internal battery. We would charge the thing, take a dozen pictures, not use it for a week, go to use it and the battery would be dead from being ignored. It was a pain.

For the average user I believe normal AA batteries are the best.

If you like the idea of a slim subcompact camera. proprietary batteries are your only choice. Cameras using AA size rechargeables work great (I have one) but won't fit in a really thin camera.

You can buy a backup proprietary battery and keep it charged in your bag. They cost more but have advantages.

Another factor to consider is the number of photos you get from one battery charge. That number varies a great deal and can be important.

The new generation of rechargables from Energizer are amazing. I can take over 400 pictures on one set of 4 batteries if I'm at the zoo or something.
I think you might have misunderstood what I was saying. I am not saying that you can't get a lot out of those rechargables. You can, I agree. What I am saying is that they will not last forever and when they get to the point of not taking a full charge they become a pain in the butt.

As for the proprietary batteries, the latest generation are far superior to rechargable double A's. While you get 400 pictures on one set I have gotten over 2,000 without even making a dent in the power consumption. I have left my camera on for over a month at a time and the battery did not even drain noticeably at all. After a month of having it on I was able to pick it up and snap thousands of shots with plenty of juice left to continue if I wanted.

There are positives and negatives to both I am sure and both are improving every year it seems.

As for the proprietary batteries, the latest generation are far superior to rechargable double A's. While you get 400 pictures on one set I have gotten over 2,000 without even making a dent in the power consumption. I have left my camera on for over a month at a time and the battery did not even drain noticeably at all. After a month of having it on I was able to pick it up and snap thousands of shots with plenty of juice left to continue if I wanted.

There are positives and negatives to both I am sure and both are improving every year it seems.
I did NOT have that experience with the proprietary batteries, quite the opposite. If I forgot at the end of the day to put it on the charger, within a week no matter how many pictures, the batteries were dead. It was embarrassing to my boss to have the camera die during a photo shoot and have no back up.

I'm curious what type of camera you had that didn't have an auto shut off.

I think we are talking from two different perspectives. I am talking to the general user that's said they've never used a digital, someone like my aunt, boss, or father. You are talking on a more professional level which is a bit above the average users needs.

I did NOT have that experience with the proprietary batteries, quite the opposite.
I am guessing (and perhaps I am wrong) that your experience with those batteries may not be very current. As I mentioned, huge advances have been made in batteries recently.

I'm curious what type of camera you had that didn't have an auto shut off.
Nikon D70S

I think we are talking from two different perspectives. I am talking to the general user that's said they've never used a digital, someone like my aunt, boss, or father. You are talking on a more professional level which is a bit above the average users needs.
The numbers I gave were based on my Nikon D70S which can be used professionally (although it is more a pro-sumer level than professional level camera) however my experience is not limited to that level of camera. I am also basing my statements on the 3 average user type point and shoot cameras I have bought for my wife as well as the point and shoot I helped my dad buy for my mom, my two old point and shoots, my daughters point and shoot, and my MIL's point and shoot.

Cameras that use AA batteries are less expensive, (without sacrifice in quality) obviously due to the fact that you're not paying for the proprietary battery and charger.
AA battery cameras are not as compact (they're usually just slightly thicker) but small enough to be able to be stashed away conveniently.
If you are ever going to be travelling where the ability to re-charge is questionable AA batteries is the way to go. Campers and backpackers, for instance, prefer AA over proprietary batteries.

Campers and backpackers, for instance, prefer AA over proprietary batteries.
This is a generalization that is not necessarily true. I am a camper and backpacker and I would much prefer proprietary over AA. The cameras are smaller and lighter (substantially so these days) and I do not want to have to carry bulky extra AA batteries especially when every ounce counts.

I am a camper and backpacker and I would much prefer proprietary over AA.

Oh, me too. Size and weight trumps AA cameras for me too, any day.

But I've been caught with dead cell phone and camera batteries on a multi-day, self-supported cycling tour once. I even had on me a spare proprietary battery for my tiny camera. But of course, I don't do this often, but if and when it happens, it's a major inconvenience.

I think it's a toss up. If you already use rechargeable AA batteries for other electronics in your home, AA cameras may be a practical choice too.

There's been huge advances in battery technology. Even some of the newer cell batteries (AA, AAA, etc..) will not lose their charge over a period of time and can be charged over and over again without having to completely discharging them first.
I often lurk over at the candlepower forum to see what's the latest in batteries and flashlights. It's an interesting geek site, if you're into that sort of thing.

Is 6 months recent?
Yeah that is recent.

A few things to consider...You could have had a faulty battery or a faulty charger or even a faulty camera.

It also could be the camera and not the battery that was the problem. Some cameras do a pathetic job of utilizing power efficiently.

Well, I have had 4 of the same brand with regular batteries and been pleased. I recommended the brand based on my experience and I was thrown under the bus for it.

I think it's all about personal experience. I will never own a camera that I can't walk in to Walmart and buy a battery for.

I am not sure what you mean by you were thrown under the bus for it? We were both just expressing our different, but equally valid opinions.

I am not sure what you mean by you were thrown under the bus for it? We were both just expressing our different, but equally valid opinions.
No, not with you, with my boss.

And, roadfix, no the camera did not survive, it ended up in little pieces on the side or a building.

Back
Top Bottom