Digital Cameras - thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought a camera

I just wanted to thank everyone here for your input in the camera purchase. I was able to take your advice, advice from friends and research some websites and find a camera that I am happy with.

It is a Canon PowerShot A1000 IS.

It is 10 MP, 4x optical zoom, has a viewfinder, red eye reduction, image stabilizer and a host of other options I am learning about.

It is small, the screen is big. It does take AA batteries. I ended up leaving that decision to what camera I found with the options I wanted for what price.

It seems like a great little camera. I'll be able to use it tonight at a party!

I ended up chickening out on the online purchase just because I wanted to be able to hold it and see it in person and ask questions.

I did get it at Wal-Mart. Price was $179.

I was amazed at the number of cameras (and higher priced ones too) that did not have viewfinders. I have used friends' cameras that don't, the sun does make it hard to see the screen sometimes.

Given that I have a horse and friends with horses and I like to camp, canoe, etc, I thought I'd better have a viewfinder. I am outside a lot in the summer.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's opinions and input!

I got a new camera on Tuesday for sale on Closeout for $60 with an original list price of $129 so I'll take it as a "use on occassion, send off with the kid for track and parties" camera.

Now here's where GB and roadfix get to fall off their chairs ~ IT HAS PROPRIETARY BATTERIES. And no view finder. I didnt even think about that even thought that's why my daughter's camera is a paperweight. She broke her back screen and the camera's junk because of it. I'm going to look to see how many cameras are out there now that don't have viewfinders. Now I'm curious. Even thought I've never used mine on my big camera even in the bright sun at a NASCAR race (double threat because of track reflection), it's still something I would think people would want.

I've gotten so used to composing the shot using the lcd monitors on point & shoot cameras over the years that it almost feels weird placing my eye up against a viewfinder.

Looking back several years, it used to seem odd when people started taking pictures with their digital cameras held a foot away from their faces instead of using the viewfinders.

My dSLR uses a viewfinder only, but prior to this camera I had a number of cameras that had lcd monitors only. At first I hated that, but once I got used to it I really liked it. It got to the point that I did not even need to see what was in the monitor to get the shot. I learned my camera well enough that I know if I held it in a certain spot then I could tell with decent accuracy what was and was not in frame. The fine details I was able to fix in the computer.

Congrats on your purchase. I am sure you are going to love it. Make sure to post some pictures once you are able.

I have a Casio Exilim 8.1 mega pixel digital EX-79. I love it! I've had it a year now and have taken tons of pictures. My kids have used it so much and make videos with it also. It has a battery that came with it, and the charger for that battery. I've gotten great pictures from it, and I'm very pleased. I'm very happy with it! Happy picture taking everyone!! :)

Back
Top Bottom