Digital Cameras - thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was it Fuji or the AA batteries he hated so much? Or both?
It was a Fuji with propriatary batteries that died while he was taking pictures and he couldn't do anything about it. If it had had AA's it likely wouldn't have been thrown against a wall because he could have gotten batteries and finished what he was doing.

It was a Fuji with propriatary batteries that died while he was taking pictures and he couldn't do anything about it. If it had had AA's it likely wouldn't have been thrown against a wall because he could have gotten batteries and finished what he was doing.

Dang! I would never throw my employee and camera under the bus out of frustration over a silly battery??? This is not right.

Wow, thank you everyone!

Okay, since I seem to have the attention of a couple of pros...

I'm curious about action shots. As in me standing still, taking a picture of something that's moving, such as a horse. Horses can move pretty fast...30-40mph is not uncommon.

What do I need in a camera so it doesn't turn out like a blur?

What is the difference between digital and optical zoom?

Thanks!

You need a fast shutter speed to freeze action. Any camera should be able to handle that. Most point and shoot cameras have a setting that is for action shots. That will change the shutter speed and aperture to what you want automatically.

One of the problems with point and shoot digital cameras though is the lag speed. That is the amount of time it takes from when you push the shutter button to when the picture actually shoots. This is not a big deal when you are doing still live or portraits, but when you are taking pictures of things that are moving then it can be a big deal. What you will have to do is learn your camera and learn to anticipate the shots. With horses that will mean taking your picture a half second or so before you think you need to. This will vary from camera to camera and it will just take some practice.

Optical zoom is a true zoom. The lens moves and gets you the same picture, but closer. Think of looking at something with your naked eye and then looking at the same thing through binoculars. The thing you are looking at is magnified and all the detail is retained.

Digital zoom is just a camera trick. It is the exact same thing as if you are looking at a picture on your computer and you enlarge it by zooming in on the computer. You can zoom in 1000x if you want, but each time you zoom in you lose detail and the picture gets more and more pixilated. It is really quite worthless and camera makers know this. They just put it in because it sounds good when they can say optical zoom of 3x with digital zoom of 40x.

I would stay away from the Kodak. I have found the color reproduction to be lacking, especially with blues. Not to mention that that camera is large and bulky. You can't just put that one in your pocket.

Canon and Sony make very good cameras. I do not know either of those models specifically, but chances are they decent cameras.

Actually, now I just found this page - my problem is I put don't mind in for most of the options...anyone care to take a stab?

Otherwise, I also found the Canon Powershot A710 IS.

I'm definitely learning a little! My NEXT camera I really know what to get!

I like sony, well I like cannon too. But I couldn't find out the price for sony.That particular camera is $200 in Best Buy.

My last 3 cameras were Cannons. My other cannon was a Nikon Coolpix (junk). I have been buying cannons ever since.

I have a Cannon brand digital camera. I've had it for almost 3 years and it takes pretty good photos as well as videos. I have a 2 GB memory card which is the perfect size for my uses. I take TONS of pictures, at the zoo, birthdays, concerts, vacations, everywhere I go, my camera goes too. It has a cord that I put in the USB drive on my laptop then I just drag and drop any photos I want to save. I also bought rechargeable AA batteries. After I got this camera my mom and dad bought the same brand, just upgraded versions.

Hey folks. Its Canon, not Cannon. If you try to take someone's photo with a cannon you'll blow their head off.

On batteries, a good proprietary battery should last longer per charge. On my Sony I can take about 700 photos per charge. I got a second battery and only once have I ever had to change it during shooting. That said, I run out of storage space first. I have 2 - 4 GB CF cards - but I shoot Raw + jpg. If you use rechargeable AA you still need a charger. Also some of the proprietary batteries have extra capabilities. In the Sony's you get a very accurate read of battery life remaining.

On stopping action. High shutter speed does the trick, but you need light or very fast (low f-stop number) lenses to allow fast shutter speeds. Some of the newer camera have more sensitive chips that help. Most cameras have a native sensitivity of about 100-200 ISO. They get higher sensitivities through boosting the signal from the chip. This increases the random noise in the photo (very much like grain in film camera). Software in the camera tries to fix this, but its never perfect. That said, some of the newer cameras are pretty amazing in low light.

General speaking, using high shutter speeds means you have to either open the lens wider (use a lower f-stop (f/4 is twice as wide open as f/5.6)) or increase the ISO setting on the camera. A wider f-stop decreases the amount of your photo that will be in focus (known as depth of field) - so focus becomes even more critical. Action photography is one of the tougher things to do well.

Camera lag is a huge issue for point and shoots. You need to learn you camera well so can anticipate the peak moment of action. If press the shutter release at the point of action, camera lag will miss it. Most Digital SLR (Single Lens Reflex) have shorter lag times than Point and Shoots. You may also need to change the focus mode for action. Depending the mode the Auto Focus may lock and not track a moving target. For action on my Sony Alpha I need to have it set to AF-Continuous for action.

But in instances where you are away from home and don't have your charger handy you can pick up AA batteries anywhere.
Unless you are camping or backpacking or on the river or ocean or in the country where the closest store is 30 minutes away or...

Tagging in late on this one, but our daughter is a budding photographer and wanted a megazoom point and shoot. We found the Panasonic TZ3 (which is now a TZ5, I believe) to have the best features for the investment. It's small, but not ultra thin, it takes sharp shots and the only negative is the lack of viewfinder. It's a pretty good all purpose camera for novices, and was rated well at the time by several sites (Christmas 2007). Got the best price at newegg online. You might want to check reviews at cnet and the like, as the more options you see, the more personal opinions you'll see and it's pretty easy to get overwhelmed.

For what it's worth, we have done both the AA rechargeables and the built-in, and it's really no less economical to buy a spare built-in or two to throw in your bag and it's a whole lot less bulk to carry around than the traditional type. Either route you choose, you will want spares.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom